Acro Wot ARTF (balsa) chat

Advert

After all the soul searching I flew my bigstick for 3 flights then for it the Acro-Wot ,the OS60fx started first time and I nervousdsly taxied, I lined it up to do some ground runs but on about one third power she lifted off as staright as a die and other than a bit of up trim required was like a trainer..I did not like putting the up trim in while flying as hand off the sticks resulted in quite a steep nose down attitude..Landed for trim and a 2nd flight different again I do not use full rates but increase them slowly when i feel comfortable.. A tru Acro-wot flyer nice crisp roles with only a touch of down on the top.. Landing a treat even without a breaze to slow it up. I can,t wait until Monday for another go. P.S. even with the 60 it required 4 oz of lead but on full powere it shifts and climbs vertical.. Still shaking ,stupid isn,t it but getting that first flight over is the best adrenilin rush going. Well maybe not quite!!

Posted by Tomtom39 on 08/07/2012 19:03:03:

Despite my not so best attempts I have had issues with uploading my photos! So if anyone would like to look at my conversion of this model to Electric - then send me a P.M and I will forward these.

I helped to carry out another conversion (Acrowot ARTF) using a Turnigy motor which was much lighter then my own set up. Approx 395g of weight had been used upfront to balance the aircraft. Quite a lump!!

After some scratching of appropriate body parts . Had semi eureka moment (It had been staring at me from the first conversion - see previous posting) . This was to use the IC mounts that come with the kit on either side of the firewall cheek and then to stick weights to it - reinforced with tape/cable tie's and then cross braced across the top and bottom - lots of room in the cowl for clean airflow over the motor. Managed to reduce the overall additional weight by 170g and may be able to shave a little bit more by bringing servos as far forward as possible.

I have also found an old copy of Q &.E.F.I detailing an electric power conversion of a H9 P47 (Feb 2006). The author (Pete Nicholson -clever chap) cut out an opening at the top of the fuselage and made up a battery hatch/box ( this looks a lot more convenient then having to take wings off to get at battery. ) He used an E-flite 60 with 6S lipo) I will give this a try on my Acro wot as the weather continues to be C***. So plenty of time to do all those little jobs missed during the winter building period!

This conversion is 1100w Turnigy running on 5s 5000mah lipo giving 1005 watts input.

Hi Redex,

My motor is a pulso 4130-16 395kv. Stonking bit of kit and good value @£98 with a 2 yr warrenty. It will swing a 17 + prop no probs. Sounds lovely on a 16x8 and pulling 40amps wot so its not stressed or getting even warm.

Got four of these motors and can honestly say they are brilliant.

Posted by The Stig on 26/07/2012 10:45:59:

Hi guys, thinking of getting this one in the collection as everyone seems to rate it, just wondering if an an sc46 2 stroke would be ok, or would it be recommended to fit a 70fs?

I was wondering about a 46, I am more of a sedate flyer rather than a holigan

Pete

Maiden flight on my acrowot today. Only did a couple of circuits, it was a bit too blustery for my limited experience (18mph average, 22mph gusts), and hard to be certain of the trimming being spot on. It was close, anyway.

The plane was much quicker to respond, and copied with the wind much better than my trainer...

It's an electric conversion, with a kms quantum 4120/06 710kv, on 4s 4500 mAh, and an APC -e 13x8 prop. It pulls 75A static on a fully charged battery.

I've trimmed the engine mounts supplied down, and mounted the motor on those using a piece of aluminium t-section.

The battery is on a tray where the fuel tank should live, as far forward as possible, and the total ballast required is 4 off M12 nuts on the firewall.

It wasn't climbing vertically today, that'll have to wait for a calmer day.

Just thought I'd add a quick post to say I've finished mine. Its powered by a OS FS81a, fairly standard radio with a 2000mah nimh under the tank.

She came in at a shade under 8 and a half pounds, including the 10oz (!) of weight I had to bolt to the front. Glad the 81FS doesnt seem short of power!

Maiden hopefully later in the week.

r.

Blimey, it should shift with a 91 hanging out the front. I reckon that motor is about 90g heavier than mine and say 50 more for the battery, you might get away with about 100-150g, which isn't so bad. I'd be interested in hearing wht the final amount you need is.

Having to add half a pound irritated me somewhat. If I'd built it from scratch and needed that much I would have felt a bit like I'd messed up somewhere along the line!

cheeky I got my Acrowot in the 1st week of July after reading the posts in this forum, my build consisted of Towerpro MG995 servos, Thunder Tiger 75S engine with a 12.5x6 prop and a 6v 2200mAh rx battery which was mounted below the fuel tank, when I came to balance it I found that without using the cowl it was requiring 100 grams of lead up front.

When I test flew it all seemed to be hunky dory apart from the undercarriage which splayed out several times on landing but I overcame this by fitting a fibre glass one that I had in my spares box, all seemed to be going well till this morning when just after take off it started to behave strangely and when I brought it round for a landing the wind caught the wing and in she went, after recovering the model all that was broken was the engine mount, when I got home I checked my spares box only to find I hadn't one of the right size, I then contacted Ripmax to find out on the availability of spares but was answered by a woman who wanted to know my account number, when I told her I wanted to know about spares the rudely told me that they only gave this information to their dealers and put the phone down on me, when I phoned Sussex Helicopters they were very helpfull and even gave me the part number for the mount but added that they checked with Ripmax but they hadn't got the mount in stock and did not know when they would have it in.

So the outcome now is to fit my oversize mount vertically instead of horizontal and mount the engine from below or wait for Ripmax (Ripoff) to get the original mount angry

Hi Kevin,

Bit rubbish of Ripmax then! Could have at least pointed you at a retailer!

This looks like the sort of mount that came with the AcroWot, maybe ring Kings Lynn and ask them if the holes for the firewall bolts are actually slots like the original so it gives you a bit of wiggle room.

I would be interested in hearing what was the cause of the strange behaviour.

r.

The kit engine mount looks like a generic Chinese ARTF engine mount as referred to in the previous post. I'm about to start my ARTF Acro Wot, but am unlikely to use the kit mount with my Laser 80.

I'm shocked that completed ARTF Acro Wots weigh 8.5 lbs completed. It's a medium sized model, so I would expect ~ 5.5 lbs max.

Edited By Robert Welford on 03/08/2012 15:42:18

Edited By Robert Welford on 03/08/2012 15:45:04

If some are coming out at 8.5lbs I'm a bit surprised. Mine (with std gear and a 81fs) came in at 6.5lbs. I can't believe simple gear choice is likely to add 2 extra pounds. Do you think the quality of wood they are selecting is very variable? That could likely account for a chunk of extra weight.

r.