Hobby King models thread

Yeh you're right mate Want a laugh? Just had an email back from HK saying sorry for the damaged in transit goods and could I send them more photo's so that they can claim against their courier. I'm just going to ignore it after I've stopped laughing.

Advert

Posted by Bill_B on 26/08/2012 15:12:31:

Edge, the Stinger benefits from having the fan balanced and if only short bursts of throttle are used, it'll handle a 4s 1800mAh - 2200mAh LiPo. Mines holding up well so far on 4s. Anyway a Radjet 420 is on it's way to keep my trusty old Funjet company.

Edited By Bill_B on 26/08/2012 15:13:08

Bill

Have been ploughing through the reams of Stinger posts on RC Groups and it seems that 4S on the stock set up is a bit of a risky strategy given the rating of the ESC and motor. The temptation to hold WOT for a bit too long is likely to be too much! I shall fly with 3S and maybe upgrade later if the need for speed is too difficult to resist.

The stock Stinger looks to be a good, robust and fun model - should arrive today with any luck. Enjoy the Radjet.

David

As nobody else has mentioned it is probably just me but I am never too sure whether I'm on the uk site or the international one !

I was interested in buying one of the new Turnigy radios as a back up but they are on back order and I think that's at the HK warehouse so presumably they won't be arriving in the UK anytime soon.

John

John

I suspect it is going to be a while before UK stock builds up to anything like the International warehouse levels, if ever. Also, anything desirable that comes in will tend to fly off the shelves very quickly as they are not generally available anywhere else in the UK, and are competitively priced.

That said, on 25 August HK Admin posted : - "we're now starting air-shipments as well as containers this will reduce out of stock on small items. We will have pickup service soon. Nano-tech container is being shipped out next week."

Early days yet....

David

Edge, I forgot to mention that I did in fact change the stock ESC for a 60A unit before using 4s. I estimate that I use full throttle for no longer than 20 - 30 seconds which is long enough for a fast pass and high vertical climb out, and from memory I think the motor is drawing about 48A.

I have heard that the (metal) Lander 64mm EDF unit is a good 'drop in' upgrade and a 4s specific unit is available from HobbyKing.

That's not good Bill, but I do have some good news about Hobbyking, after the initial debacle of the state of the Bixler I received I flew it today and I have a new love. It's like pure silk with a pastoral symphony playing in the background. I managed to prise myself from the para olympics(I had entered myself for the wheelchair 200 grit balsa bash but I failed the drugs test. I wasn't taking enough) during a lull in the wind, trundled down to the sports field, guessed COG at 1/3 chord and threw it into wind. At half chat(thanks Garbo) it climbed smoothly above tree level and hovered nicely until I lowered the throttle and turned downwind. Checking the glide I cut the throttle and although not quite 5:1 it covered a very respectable amount of sky with little descernable loss of height. The wind then picked up so protecting my new investment I cut the flight early and it performed a Cadbury's Caramel landing on it's belly. At no time did I have to alter any trim settings. Happy with that!

Posted by Bill_B on 31/08/2012 15:02:49:

Hmm, HK UK have just blotted their copy book: I ordered a kit that was "in stock" and paid for 24hr delivery and it hasn't arrived two days later.

Bill

Not good, although I plumped for the 48 hr delivery and HK/Parcelforce delivered on time. My Stinger is now in quarantine until my birthday next week....... sad

David

Bought a 1194mm Zlin, as I wanted a built up electric replacement for an Acro Wot (without going 40 sized and doing a conversion) and so far it seems great. Covered in oracover with reasonable supplied hardware. Cowl fitting wasn't clear and I replaced the control horns for screw in jobs. Not had a chance to test it yet, but should be alright. Anyone else tried one?

Yesterday I sent a message via HK's web site explaining how I'd not yet received my order despite going with 24 hr. delivery and within a few hours had a reply saying that all was now sorted and that I should be taking delivery soon. Fingers crossed for a delivery on Monday then!

BTW, There was no explanation as to why the order had been messed up in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Durafly Trojan

I bought one of these from the 1100mm range a couple of weeks ago, and Tony asked on the previous page how the nose gear fared in use, so i thought I'd do a quick write-up.

The kit comes in a nice box that would not be disgraced on a model shop shelf. the well-packed contents don't let it down - quality of mouldings and fittings are on a par with the Parkzone Wildcat I've also bought this year. Instructions are sparse, but at least theyt give the C of G position. No control throws are mentioned, so I used outer holes on servos and horns, except for the rudder where I used the inner horn hole. I dialled in my customary 25% expo. and that's fine. Glue (UHU Por Type) is provided for gluing in the tailplane.

The only assembly issues were the motor rubbing slightly on the dummy motor, which was easily fixed by shaving the prop driver orifice with a scalpel, and marginal ground clearance for the prop. The noseleg is a bit short. There's room in the bay to retract a longer unit, but I couldn't see how to get the leg out of the retract unit, so I fitted a bigger wheel and trimmed 5mm off each prop blade, then re-balanced. The sprung gear doors don't quite close over the bigger wheel, but there's no buzzing or straining.

I've had 8 flights so far, and she flies superbly. Take-offs are easy using half flap, there's enough power for scale manouevers, and landings on full flap are slow and controllable. No noseleg breakage issues so far.

No time to write any more at present - overall verdict excellent, if anyone wants to know more, I'll try to answer any questions asked.

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd add my two pennurth.

I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from HK:

Nano-Tech batteries - I must have going on for 20 of these now; no duds; all work really well - much much better than some 'premium' varieties that cost twice as much

Couple of Rx's - work fine

Couple of ESC's - work fine

Foam Spad - everything works, looks lovely, flies well; it's a little underpowered (but probably right for type), and a little heavy but still a nice model

Foam Spitfire MK 24 - loverly !

I've only had 2 order issues which they cleared up immediately. I tend to use the forums for any support questions tbh.

I'm one satisfied customer. I know they aren't perfect (no rose tinted specs !) but they're good enough for me.

GG