The Olympics

Advert

Well that was simply brilliant. The Olympics here have been great, easily the best I have ever seen. Team GB were amazing, Golds in Cycling, Rowing, Athletics, Sailing and many many more is truly an inspiration to young people like me. There were concerns about the games, I wasn't all that excited but I have loved every second of it, Britain really showed how good we are. The laughter with James Bond and the Queen, Rowan Atkinson and of course Eric Idle! The great sporting moments of which there were many, and the happiness it has brought to not just London, but all of this great Isle.

London 2012 will be something I never forget, the 16 days when Britain forgot about the dull dreary news of everyday life and for once reminded the world what we can do. It has made me truly proud to be British

Goodnight.

Concorde Speedbird

I agree...well said CSB....thumbs up

I am most definitely not a sports fan but I think the whole thing has been fantastic from start to finish....a real boost to the life of the nation.

Could the money have been better spent elsewhere.....? Possibly...

Would it have really made much difference......? Probably not......

Lets just enjoy it for what it was.....we almost certainly won't see the like of it again in our lifetimes..... (well CSB might cos he's only a nipper.....wink 2)

I can't believe we've already had 10 days...I was fairly neutral before it started - I had to drag myself away from the tele to go flying on Saturday afternoon!!!

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 07/08/2012 07:36:09:

Martin, i woudnt go that far!!!!!!

I didn't say it stopped me flying but that was a special day...

From following a link on one of the other posts, it seems the team funding cost me 80p in taxes. D'you know what? I'd have gladly paid double that!

If we assume 20 million tax payers, and if we assume £15 billion cost (big approximations I know), then we get approx £750 each. That includes all of the people who wanted nothing to do with it of course. Not sure where you get your 80p from... that wouldn't even cover Seb Coe's salary.

Edited By Martyn Johnston on 13/08/2012 12:08:32

Martyn - 2 different sets of numbers. The £15 billion is for the HOSTING costs, the 80p per tax payer is for the team training cost - this would have been similar no matter where the olympics was.

I missed the closing ceremony as was knackered after a weekend of PSSing in north Wales.

Either way, it isn't over yet - the para-lypmics are next up!

I avoided it all. My wife watched it all. We even had big Union jacks and Stars and stripes (daughter lives in the USA) on the front of the house. Same with the football flags on her yellow sports car during the World Cup a couple of years ago.

ConcordeSpeedbird: Oh my imaginary Deity! I forgot THAT!

Edited By Mark Powell 2 on 13/08/2012 12:32:15

I missed the Saturday and Sunday closing Ceremony as I was at the Elvington Show. Brilliant show, put on by the LMA, as usual and I can always watch the Olympics on the I-player. The English Electric Lighning, Comet and VC10 were stunning, as was the rest of the display. It's everything at once, Olympics, Elvington Show and then nothing.