The Olympics

It might sound bitter and cynical (that's co'z it is) but the Olympics have nothing to do with us, it's in London, principally, apart for a few minority events. It's for a few performing seals, the atheletes, to show of and try to gain a little favour from the self important, who have been given a seperate lane in the traffic to show how much more special than the rest of us they are. Our only roll in the Games is to pay for them. I feel better now, I shall go and lie down , there might even be a brown ale waiting later.

Advert

In answer to the original question - anything but please , please, please tell me that we haven't blown £27m on this opening ceremony. It's so good I actually went to the workshop to watch a battery charge up out of preference!

Cringe-worthy!

Turby and TonyS

French and English are the official languages of the games.... the modern games was introduced by a French man, Baron Pierre de Coubertain.

So everything is introduced in both languages,

Also more countries around the world have French as national language than English!

(useless facts department)

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 27/07/2012 22:46:53

I think its great for the people of the country of Londinium and the Athletes that put in so much hard work and dedication to their particular discipline but its not something that attracts me,so good luck to them all,now wheres the TV controller theres cricket and speedway tomorrow........ or Cosford!!.

I thought the continual onslaught of football & golf was bad enough,but now we've got weeks of people running and jumping . Words fail me . I have watched the opening ceremony & it was all about how well Britain did for years /centuries.THEN after one hour it deteriorated quickly into rap crap so called music ! It started with Elgars Nimrod played beautifully by young musicians ,then after a load of nostalgia stuff deteriorated into mass hysteria over nothing .No wonder we're all struggling having paid for Londons east end so called boost .I could think of lots of ways of using 9 billion pounds usefully .Couldn't we all ?

And you wonder why I'm Grumpy ? Thank God for radio 4 which is on permanently in my workshop .

Simply brilliant opening ceremony, only thing I can criticise is the digging up of Macca to strangle a naff song at the end. Apart from that it was stunning, fantastic, amazing, inspiring, moving and funny!!

The rest of the games will have to go some to live up to the start!!

Yes, during the "happy and Glorious" film segment featuring HRH and James Bond (Daniel Craig).

I was deeply saddened to see how the amazing Muhammad Ali has deteriorated. Not just an excellent sportsman, but an inspirational human being.

Only watched a bit of the opening, seemed to be awfull nostalgia, with has beens like Mike Oldfield, Paul McCartney, Mr Bean, perhaps they made it into the 21st. century by the end. I'll look at the flypast on this evening's repeat. Fortunately the time difference means most of the live broadcasts have cleared and normal viewing, for what it's worth, resumes here in our Oz winter evenings.

Paul.

I know two lots that are happy about all the HOOHAA of the Olympics.

The bankers and the politicians! They can get on with lousing up the country and no one will hear about it.

The radio Four news did manage to mention that a few more thousand people are being shelled and bombed in Syria but that was about it apart from the opening ceremony. Even the weather forecast hardly mentioned anything except how it was going to affect the Olympics.

Never mind. I stocked up wtih DVDs and will be able to design a few more models.