The Olympics

Advert

I liked the recent cartoon in the DM, showing a three-lane motorway with an overhead gantry. One lane was signed 'Excited', the second 'Interested', and the third 'Bored'. I'm firmly in the 'Bored' lane, already, but got suckered into watching some of the opening ceremony. I'm still trying to work it all out, especially the embarrassing NHS part, but the effects were spectacular, so at least we know where some of the billions have gone. Several of the national teams seemed depleted, presumably following the lead of the first asylum-seeker, already, who's so persecuted in his own country that he was selected for the honour of representing it! Plenty more where he came from, so we're bound to get the gold medal for defectors.

Posted by Peter Miller on 28/07/2012 08:35:28:

True. The Millenium Dome was used for indoor flying. There could also be some really super contnrol line flying sites.

Please don't mention that waste of another £1B of our money.

Haven't read all the posts, but did anyone see the German guy give the "salute"

gave archery a watch this morning, home lads didn't last long.

The BBC choose a sport function on the red button is quiet good.

Edited By Garbo on 28/07/2012 09:27:58

I was one of those that was getting very fed up with the whole thing. Mainly because I couldn`t get any tickets for any of the Olympic park events I wanted. And as a london council tax payer I have helped in financing the event I was a bit peeved to say the least. I did manage to get tickets for the footy at wembley and a session in the Olympic Park itself in the end. I do love sport of all types so I`m going to make the most of it.

I thought the opening ceremony was stunning. I turned the sound up on my tv and sat back and enjoyed a spectacular show that was full of surprises the biggest of which was the Queen and James Bond. Up until the moment she turned round I was expecting a lookalike.

The only unwanted surprise was when the camera cut to the Queen as Team GB walked by and she was inspecting her finger nails. I do hope that wasn`t beamed across the world.embarrassed

I watched with some trepidation as quirk followed quirk but once Mr Bean started playing his superb organ part in Chariots of Fire I was hooked. The looks of pride and unbridled pleasure during the athlete's parade were quite uplifting. I thought the transfer of the flame from David Beckham to Sir Steve Redgrave and then to the junior athletes was superbly thought out but I agree how poignant it was to see Mohammed Ali in such a poor state - although he must take a lot of credit for making such an effort.

After the rather poor (in my very non-expert opinion) of Come Together by the Arctic Monkeys I hoped that was the last murdering of a Beatles classic but I was sad to hear Sir Paul McCartney doing much the same at the end.

I can take or leave the Olympics (did watch some Beach Volleyball with a bit of interest and dipped in and out of the pool and rowing lake a little this morning) and it won't be impacting on my model flying (going out soon).

Ernie, I just heard that L'Equipe has been very complimentary so you can hold your head high at your foreign field...

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/07/2012 13:33:01

great gravy stains........I thought the opening ceremony, hailed by the papers as "brilliant" was utterly bizarre. A sort of Flintstones combined with The Archers. What on earth could the rest of the world have thought at nurses and patients bouncing on beds?? I'd expected SPECTACLE and the only good spot - for me - was the burning rings. No wonder the Chinese team members were laughing as they marched by. And I couldn't hear much commentary 'cos of all those flamin' drummers. Roll on The End.

By the way ,'er indoors assures me that the Boer billy goats in the opening sequence had not been introduced into this country until long after the industrial revolution .A brilliant anachronism eh ? And shouldn't there have been at least one female goat (a nanny/doe).Two males on a so called farm would be totally useless.Or would they ,bearing in mind present thinking on marriage ? No milk anyway ,that's for sure

Grumpy- Farming dept -5 goats

With the opening nonsense over, though I did like the cauldron and the fireworks, I must say the first day was excellent, especially the men's cycling. Great tele coverage, wonderful weather and an exciting finish with an unexpected result, what more could you want. Well perhaps they could have gone on to Brighton instead of ten times round Box Hill. I used to do that run in the early seventies and after a drink or two and a good meal, come back with the bike on the train. Perhaps we could have had some shots of the Pavillion as well as Hampton Court and they could have thrown in an English equivalent to Gabriel Gate to discuss the finer points of an afternoon tea at the Maids of Honour in Putney. Joking aside the coverage was excellent, the weather brilliant, the organisation first class. The same applied to the single skulls, the dressage and the swimming, I enjoyed them all and the venues looked fine. Congratulations, if it weren't for the weather, I'd be tempted to get my passport out and come home for an extended holiday.

If all the responses are like the first page I have to say for goodness sake live and let live. I don't have any time for it but my wife and kids are captivated by it. The only complaint I really have is the endless replays. I just don't watch it.

I hope they never ask the olympic viewing audience what their views are on modelflying down on so and so's farm or their reaction to the Nats.

I would like to know why the announcements were first in French, then in English, what was all that about?

If they really wanted the opening ceromony to represent UK, then where were the drunken hooligans fighting and stabbing each other, or the drunken slappers out on a Friday night in skimpy clothes throwing up everywhere. No mention of the unemployed or social security also.

And if it was really realistic they would of declared Poland as the national team.

Other than that it was , well, strange.

Darryl

Perhaps we could start a drive to have English as the predominant language on the Forum, or make the icon for spell check more prominent.

My favourite Olympic event is the closing ceremony. I've been looking forward to it for the past four years.

Garbo,

Our free to air coverage is by the commercial chanel 9, who along with the imfamous Mr. Murdoch own Foxtel, the cable company who supply the coverage. As an ex BBC staffer, I'm mortified to hear their coverage was so bad.

Hate to say it, but the rain completely spoiled the women's cycling today and there seemed to be a conspicous absense of supporters by the road.

Change of weather and it's back to watching on the telly?

Paul.

PH I don't know who provide the event feeds and the assorted info but I dont think

it's the beeb For the women's race today they had their own unofficial timings on the breakaways.

The BBC coverage itself is great as you can watch any of the active sports at any time.

But this is not getting my wots wot built!