Speedo Bungee

Phil May

Has any one bungeed a Speedo?

I've just taken delivery of one of the Mk iix (with a rather sexy matt black fuz) and I'm looking at fitting the launch hook to try bungeeing it.

Where is the best place to fit the hook.....I know it is on the bottom...lol...

Any advice on this method of launching, as always, greatly received

Thanks all

Phil

Advert

As has been stated 30 degrees forward from CG provides a safe launch, generally needing up elevator to control attitude, so that it goes up under tension, then kites, if windy enough.

Put the tow hook directly under the CG and the model will probably need some down, at times, Generally gets the maximum height. Not sure it needs any more skill. Although experience with models at the 30 degree point will have provided experience of what to do when.

Bungees need skill to get a good height, be it rubber chord, surgical tubing or the dreaded Bungee chord.

I guess you are talking DF models Stephen?

For gliders, one man launch is normal, safe. It just requires, a big heave to get the model moving. Both hands back on the transmitter, to control attitude, keeping tension and preventing a stall. Simples!

I just wonder if most glider fliers using bungees, were mainly , thumb on stick modellers, rather than finger and thumb flyers, and no T'x tray. As speed of getting to the sticks was important.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/08/2012 10:31:25

It would interest me, I am looking for a way to launch my Me 163 by Cloud Models.

Apparently needs a good heave to get going, so a bungee, designed for speed, rather than height is what the doctor ordered.

From Parmacs reaction guess it is small, or heavily loaded. As for the merits of bungee launching. If that floats your boat, why not.

• 1 year later...

If your model is a glider, the old, location would be fixed by projecting a line at 30 degree from where the CG is located on the wing. This provides a very safe location.

There was a trend to locate the tow hook directly under the CG, this allowed a max. height launch for the more experienced.

Where ever you locate the hook, do not expect the model to take care of itself, whilst on the line. Both pitch and direction (via rudder) needs to be controlled to ensure a good launch. Left to itself, anything could and will happen.

If launching in very strong wind, models will go behind you as the line and rubber are further stretched. If not controlled a line/rubber break can occur.

I am not sure that many current small models have particularly strong wings, so the other possibility is a wing fold. In the past this was a rarity as the spars were as strong as houses. The down side was a heavier model than is required for a motored type glider.

Posted by Erfolg on 07/08/2012 10:29:54:

I just wonder if most glider fliers using bungees, were mainly , thumb on stick modellers, rather than finger and thumb flyers, and no T'x tray. As speed of getting to the sticks was important.

Edited By Erfolg on 07/08/2012 10:31:25

I'm a finger and thumb flier with a tray and bungy launching my Easy Glider is no problem, but then again it went off well with the rx switched off, not quite as good a height, but it came off the end, did 4 or 5 circuits and landed in the next field. Also the most important stick to get hold off quickly is the rudder.

I repaired a really old bungy set where the exposed elastic tubing had all perished and replaced that with a section of tubing that hobbyking sell. Total tubing length is approx 25-30m with 70-80m of line, strectching it 50 paces or so the best launch todate has been around 110m.

I've let several people have a go with my Easy Glider and i think most have been surprised at how easy it is, good fun everybody should give it a try, not sure this is really Speedo fare though.