October 2012 issue feedback, commentary etc.

Doug Ireland

Advert

Posted by Alex Whittaker on 22/08/2012 23:56:02:

Thanks for the update, Simon. Much appreciated. The hand-written note, given to me by the pilot's helper, simply states "Futaba radio". He might have meant just the trannie.

Cheers,

Alex

No problem.

I have to say, your my favourite writer in RCM&E (sorry others!) and Weekenders is, usually, the very first section I read (usually then WOO's)!

But then saying that, I'm a 26 year old electronics engineer and electronics enthusiast (I blame that I was brought up with it - built my first circuit when I was 5 and been programming since I was 7) - that is as interested in R/C transmitters and how the systems work as much as I am in the flying! Oh and I have kept nearly every RCM&E I have bought which goes back to nearly the start of 2000! Me, normal? Hmm, maybe not...

I actually only noticed it because I'm so sad that I most interested in how the aircraft was setup and wired up. I can't remember exactly which one, but I'm 90% certain the servo was either a HS-805MG or a HS-5805MG. teeth 2

Told you I'm probably not normal...!

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 23/08/2012 00:57:50

You lucky people, Expected my copy by now, no such luck. Methinks the postal service in England wait until they have a decent load for air -freight, could be weeks before it arrives. Stop rabbiting on about what"s inside, otherwise I will have nothing to look forward too. Nice and hot here in Spain. How is it where you are?

Posted by Maurice Harvey on 24/08/2012 16:36:31:

You lucky people, Expected my copy by now, no such luck. Methinks the postal service in England wait until they have a decent load for air -freight, could be weeks before it arrives. Stop rabbiting on about what"s inside, otherwise I will have nothing to look forward too. Nice and hot here in Spain. How is it where you are?

Mine arrived in SW France two days ago, Maurice. Enjoying the first cloudy day @24C after what seems weeks of 30C - 39C daily - just waiting for some promised rain as I'm fed up with watering the garden - sorry, UK folks......wink 2

Some good stuff from Danny F, AW and the article on the Bowden Bee is very interestingthumbs up

Pete

It"s arrived! Nice to chill out with my favourite mag. Just one thing I must comment on though, the reviews. Why do the reviewers just give us photo"s of the completed model. Please, Lee Smalley, yes and you too Mr Ashby, stick the camera up the backside so that we have an idea of the nitty gritty bits of construction. Show your dear readers what room there is inside for ancillaries etc. After all, they tell me that the reviewer gets to keep the aircraft so please play fair.

• 2 weeks later...

well Maurice i am not sure i understand what you mean by "play fair" i always play to win...is this the same?? anyway, quite often we do take pictures of the internal installation, but it is not allways used by the editors, although we took no such pictures this time around for the EDGE540, being an ARTF the location of the radio install is normally done for you and you have little say in the matter, and pictures of this sort would be A. boring and B. of little value unless there is a real problem worth looking at, i suppose you have to really take my word for it when i say there is loads of room for the radio install, and if you wish to go electric as is provided for in this kit, then i will also comment as to the space available, trust me for the Edge there is loads of room for the Battery pack, for a trad build this is a different matter!

And i can confirm that we do get to keep the models generally, but lets face it, who in their right mind would want the model back after i have finished with it ???

hope this helps

Thanks for replying to my moan about the Edge review Lee. As this was the "new improved quality" Phoenix model I just felt that it would have been nice for this to have been shown. The picture showing the lead weight at the tail-end WAS informative because I could see that the horns and clevises were of decent quality and that the tail wheel was attached to the fuselage, better than Hangar 9 comes up with anyway. (Why take a picture of a piece of lead?) A photo of the servo mounting points in the wing could have shown what the wood quality is like, also for the electric boys the hatch could have been removed to reveal to them any problems regarding battery fitment. I consider it to be a flying and picture review. Not enough info for me to buy without seeing it in the flesh. Lets do better next time Lee, so that RCM&E remains at the top of the pile!

I too have asked in the past for internal shots of reviewed planes. Its quite common to see 6-8 photos of the completed models, the same style as is printed on the box the model came in. I'd like a photo of the engine installation and the radio to see how others complete the task. I appreciate that its not that exciting but I'd prefer that to identical exterior shots.

Just my thoughts.

Just a thought, as it is quite well known for our favorite editor to be a touch fussy about the pics that get in, how about the reviewer post the pictures that got "cut" on a thread to run alongside the review? That way we can see the shots that are not nice enough for print, but show the less attractive bits of the model.

Just a thought wink 2

Cheers

Danny

crumbs !!!!! must do better eh!!! ok Murice i have stood in the corner for 15 seconds and told myself off!

on a serious note it is not allways possible to take pictures mid build of an ARTF, as i am not the photographer this would entail meeting up with said photographer at a mutally convenient time and taking pictures mid build, somthing that is not allways possible as the aircraft only takes hours to finish, to stop for a few days whilst we take pictures of wood, is not really a starter, if anyone wishes to kit me out with a fancy cannon camera to take these pics myself then please feel free to!!

pictures of most fittings and fixtures are always taken, if the editor choses to print lead, then that is up to him ( personally i thought it was an inspired choice(kiss, kiss))

to a certain degree Maurice you have to put a bit of faith in me, if the wood was not of a good quality or well assembled, i would have told you. and i did mention in the review there is loads of room for battery fondelling, my 4s 5000mah pack went in easily, in fact only the fuel tank was a tight squeeze!!

As i alluded to in the review not all pheonix kits have been of good quality (frog spit and pallet wood) but this new type is a world away from these older versions

i have a trad built kit up comming and rest assured this will have everything photgraphed, even me in my undies!!

oh hang on............... wrong mag!!!

however point made Maurice and we will take the odd pic of the internals from now on!!