Carry on luggage on ryanair

KingKade

Advert

I have a fourstroke engine, would i be able to carry this in my carry on luggage? Y ou may think its a silly question, however a couple of trips ago , i had beach stone, about the same size and shape in my luggage, it was taken off me as it could have been used as a weapon!

Thanks chris, the questions were going to be together, honest!

I did email both ryanair and the airport i would be flying from but neither replied, that was a month ago, im travelling tomorrow.

I just wanted to see if anyone else out there had carried these things through security without any problems...

ta.

Thats what i was afraid of, its not ryanair it the security guys at the x ray machine... I will probably have the engine and tx wrapped and posted to me then.. Dont want to be told its a suspicious device or not given a good reason at all and then be expected to put it in the bin to get on the plane.

It is all nonsense. Ryanair - it's their plane, they can be as nonsensical as they like. Offer to pay extra. They charge extra for everything and will thank you for giving them an opportunity they have missed. Might even tell the security guards it's ok.

Security guards? They pay them the national minimum wage. Less if they can get away with it.

Sorry smiley

Well the question is actually - can he take these items as cabin baggage?. I assume therefore he is not taking other bags to go in the hold. I have taken RC bits on major airlines without problems but Ryanair and their ilk want to charge for anything or you can't take it. I suggest he posts to himself as he has mentioned

Gentlemen, the Transmitter can be carried as cabin baggage but must be shown like a Laptop Computer at security check. The engine is best placed in hold baggage. Some security checkers show great interest in model engines but others can be pernickety (polite word used instead of expletive).

These are my personal observations. As has been stated, it is the airport security people who decide. The airlines don't seem to care after you have passed through the security check.

I have carried a Tx, Kits, Lipo batteries up to 2200mAh and chargers and power supplies as carry on baggage on both Ryanair and Aer Lingus.

The decision is yours,

Eamonn.

UPDATE, for those who may be interested...

I took my tx in my carry on luggage, and got through no worries, i presented it as electrical, so gets placed in another xray machine tray, as you would do for a laptop.

i also asked about a small, engine and they (2 different security personael) said it shouldnt be a problem.

So now you know.....

• 4 weeks later...

I did something very similar Christian. That was before restraints on the number suitcases,

In the past I have carried kits on board as hand luggage. I bet you can not do that now.

My own experiences tend to indicate that Rynair and Easyjet can be pains in the butt. Yet UK airport security is the most unpredictable. I have had my own experiences, I therefore think many more will have similar experiences.

As Sammyboy has found out, it all can go swimmingly well. On the other hand...................

• 4 years later...

I can understand that items with IC engines can be assumed to have traces of fuel which would present a safety issue - but a new engine in a box?

What about carrying on (or purchasing on board) multiple items containing highly inflammable liquid and capable of being turned into a jagged and sharp bladed weapon in an instant?  You might also know it as a bottle of scotch...but then there's money in selling it...

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/02/2017 15:41:46