A few newbie questions

well basically only one really. I have recently given up racing RC cars due to a new job and due to shifts etc was just not enjoying it anymore, so thought it would be a great time to try out something I have been wanting to for a very long time, rc flying. I have been thinking of getting an electric trainer, maybe having a go and then looking for a club. but as not wanting to waste money have decided to have a good look round to see what interests me before I take the plunge.

whilst trawling through youtube I came across a few vids of RC gliding and must admit am a bit blown away by it , so here is the question, do I need to learn to fly first before getting into gliders? or can you get gliders suitable for beginners?

I have been using Pheonix, and also have a DX6i (which I use with my heli)

I live in South Cheshire so days out to the Orme and Long Mynd are not out of the question, don't know if there is anywhere closer?

thanks in advance

Dale

Hi Dale & Welcome.

I would suggest visiting a few of your nearest clubs first. See where you feel comfortable and like the people / location. Most clubs are very welcoming, but get to know one well before parting with any cash. There have been other forumites who have had bad experiences after joining clubs.

A glider isn't something you can just take to the local football pitch to fly andmost places you can fly from usually will have a club of some description attached.

Club members will be full of advice as to what models will be suitable for you and will probably point you in the direction of the best supplier in your area.

All the best with your new hobby. Oh, and don't forget to join the BMFA.

Kevin.

Posted by Dale Bennison on 14/09/2012 20:05:09: .......... snip! .......... do I need to learn to fly first before getting into gliders? or can you get gliders suitable for beginners?

I have been using Pheonix, and also have a DX6i (which I use with my heli)

I live in South Cheshire so days out to the Orme and Long Mynd are not out of the question, don't know if there is anywhere closer?

thanks in advance

Dale

It's perfectly possible to learn to slope soar with no guidance, little expense, or destroying kit.

Use the slope facility on your sim to get your thumbs learning, search out and read the basic theories and practicalities of flying slope lift, get a Wildthing from Alan Head at SAS.

Soar Ahead Sailplanes

Build it exactly to the instructions (your DX6i is just fine to use), head to a hill in the right weather conditions and go for it.

Worked for me 4 years ago, although I just used the freebee CRRCsim on the Zipper model programme and a 14 quid USB mock TX. I got a Wildthing 60 rather than a 46, to cope with a wider variety of windspeeds. My next machine was then a Luna II moulded 2 metre, that's still serving me well today, alongside F3f machines, EPP racers, EP soarers and plenty of other stuff my wife doesn't know I've bought.

Ro.

Edited By RGPuk on 16/09/2012 00:52:57

G'day Dale.

I started with a two channel rudder elevator glider, 2,metre span known as a floater. slow and doesn't need a lot of wind find a hill if you can and not the cliffs I then went to something a bit quicker with ailerons and so on as confidence built. but if you have a big flat field to fly from Parkzone radian is a good choice power up glide home it is rudder/ elevator and a steady large model too.

Dale,

I just had a great afternoon with an ST DG1000 glider which has a pop up motor - using the motor to get some height then spending 15-30 minutes in thermals. In all honesty I'm not really a fan of these popup motors but there are other motor gliders that are not expensive that could be suitable.

So where did this activity take place? Middlewich, that's where.

I also do some slope soaring using one of the aforementioned SAS models. A trip to the Great Orme is not out of the question nor nearer home to Bosley Cloud.

As you are new to RC aeroplanes then you could really benefit from visiting a local club, especially one where the instructor could set you up with a trial flight on a trainer/buddy system at no cost or obligation to you. Such an instructor for example as, erm.... me!

If you want to get in touch with me then send me your email address via a personal message (PM) using the "message member" option below this posting and we'll take it from there.

How's that for an offer (BEB)?

P.S.  There's a good number of threads here about soaring - one that I personally was involved in is here.

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/09/2012 01:30:07

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/09/2012 01:33:43

hello dale and wellcome-back to original question.......i would say you can learn to fly with a glider and some tuition......prob go for something like a chris foss middle phase(£60.00)some insurance and enjoy yourself........or buy an electric assist glider(one with a motor) and have a go at a flat field......visit a club or slope and get some advice....before parting with your dosh.....

ken anderson ne..1 .....parting with your dosh dept..

Get a Wild Thing, go up a hill and fly it. If you can handle a glider on a sim, you shouldn't find it too difficult. The great thing about the Wild Thing is it is virtually indistructable. Mine has been thumped into the hill more times than I can count and is still flying perfectly. Apart from being tough and easy to fly, it's also great fun once you know what you're doing. If you can find a club nearby, then definitely get in touch with them as they'll have a place to fly and loads of advice and help. But if you don't, have a go anyway. Just try to find a hill where you can walk down to get the model if you have to, so possibly not a coastal cliff to start with.

Perfectly do-able, in fact will probably be a far better way to learn, as the model involved ( wildthing etc ) will suffer far less/no damage on its first few arrivals. Youre very welcome to contact me too if you want a few pointers/lessons on the thing up here at the great orme. PM if you want. Tim

Edited By Tim Mackey on 16/09/2012 12:00:59

Posted by Tim Mackey on 16/09/2012 12:00:39:

Perfectly do-able, in fact will probably be a far better way to learn, as the model involved ( wildthing etc ) will suffer far less/no damage on its first few arrivals. Youre very welcome to contact me too if you want a few pointers/lessons on the thing up here at the great orme. PM if you want. Tim

Edited By Tim Mackey on 16/09/2012 12:00:59

thumbs up There you go Dylan, the offers get better & better.

If you get yerself a wild thing (the assembly is very similar to that of my previoulsy mentioned fusion), we could share the fuel costs to the Great Orme and get some expert mentoring from Tim.

now the new I.E. 9 is installed, and it works,

Contact slopetrash, on here, he is a regular user of the orme, then remember these 2 words WILD THING, get nothing else, anything else you will break, thats why we call them crunchys these days, foam is the way to go, they hit the floor, and just bounce, for me, the days of a balsa white foam wing trainer are long gone, also, take up the offer on here for some tuition from Ian Jones, and experiance sloper is worth getting to know, and, as said, insurance,