Flair Junior 60 build

Advert

Posted by ken anderson. on 02/10/2012 17:45:57:

hello robert-i just used a 'cup' and drew the scallops using a pencil and hand painted the model using black solarlac......dont tell anyone...

ken anderson JNR 60 finishing dept...

Ken,

Thanks. It looks good in the pictures. I'll have to do a trial first to see how good I can do it.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Takes me back to 1962 and the cold winter of 1963 when I built my Junior 60 in my bedroom with my mum insisting that I built no others in the room. She eventually bought me a shed!

At the first attempt I did not link both wings to the centre section accurately enough with the result that the plane did not like right hand turns and if you kept the rudder on too long the plane would go into a spin. After 14 years when the first lot of nylon rotted I took the opportunity when re-covering the plane to straighten the wings up and they have been fine since,So I would advise great care on the wing/ centre section link-up and of course others have advised strengthening the wing structure to avoid fold- ups, which never happened to mine as they have only been subjected to a loop once.

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/10/2012 20:04:21

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/10/2012 20:03:26:

...and of course others have advised strengthening the wing structure to avoid fold- ups, which never happened to mine as they have only been subjected to a loop once.

MJE

Mike, IMO the wing folding problems some have is more to to do with the position of the front dowel than the wing structure. I've seen Super 60 wings fold for the same reason when pulling tightish loops & panic up elevator recoveries.

There needs to be a 4mm birch ply former at the wing LE position from the cabin top to the fuselage floor so that the front dowel can then be positioned just below the wing LE in the position most high wing cabin have it. This former could utilised for a peg & nylon screw fixing method if the are prefered instead of lacky bands.

arron...make sure the front and back braces are in sound with plenty of epoxy(good joint).....no worries about wings folding etc........mines been looped...inverted and all the rest with no probs......and its had a prang or three during its life.......i think that in some places they(JNR 60) are over engineered compared to some of todays creations......your wing construction looks....... 100% OK ...

ken anderson....ne..1 ...braces dept...

Edited By ken anderson. on 22/10/2012 09:32:51

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Folk,

only recently joined this forum.

Bit of a rundown on my Junior 60 project..

Hoping to post a couple of pix at the end.

I bought a second hand Saito FA30 exposed rocker about 15 years back. The motor had done very little work.

When I returned to r/c fixed wing, one chap in our club told me he had the "perfect" model for this engine... that being a Junior 60.

He modified the original plan to remove all incidence for r/c - the wing mount and tailplane are exactly neutral.

For nearly two years, mainly off - but some on, I have been building this model.

I have incorporated some "experimental" modifications - mainly that of fitting strip ailerons.

The model I have built structurally resembles that of a dreadnought - I have added much more strengthening to the cross braces and added ply in some places where the plans show only balsa.

The model is covered in antique solartex and I am in the process of adding a "Manor Red" (close to a deep reddish brown) paint trim.

I have concerns this model is far too heavy to be of any joy in flying - I have not weighed it yet, but it most certainly comes in at around that of a heavily built 40 sized trainer.

The little Saito will struggle to get it off the strip and I very much doubt that it will have an acceptable climb rate.

I have built the wing with full under-camber as on the plan - and the exact dihedral.

My bracing is sufficient almost to drive a tank across the wing with only flexing as the result.

When I tried to get the c of g - it was way too far back with the engine in it's original position.

I am not willing to add that 8 oz''s of roof lead to the front of it and have further modified the model with the wing mounted 1" further to the rear (with the view of getting the c of g at the chord further back in the model).

I have further now replaced the engine bearers and positioned the engine 1" further forward.

The c of g is still too far back behind the maximum chord.

I am now waiting for a 3 oz chrome plated brass spinner to arrive to put more weight up front - the added bonus of getting a decent flywheel for the little Saito.

I have a Saito FA56 and am now considering also an FA 40 (both new) ... one of these engines will get the model up happily.... I still doubt the 30 will do it.

The model features a tail dragging wire tail skid coupled to the rudder.

I do appreciate ailerons are not going to do much to help this model with its considerable dihedral.. but decided to fit them none-the-less. Each with its own 9g servo.

I have programmed the radio to employ "flaperons" and the two stage flap setting also has adjustable down elevator programmed it...

There is also programmed delay in the flaps/elevator coming into operation - so, I'm hoping when I first attempt a landing (if it ever get into the air) - bringing in flaps will be very subtle and controllable.

I will weigh the model and hopefully, someone will be able to give me indication if I have really gone way too far overweight.

The c of g is approximately at the edge of the wing sheeting - which is now at approximately just behind the second window pillar from front of the cabin.

Undercarriage has been fabricated and soldered exact to plan.

Wheels are 3.25" aluminium - collet mounted.

Tyres are rubber.

I have a 1,450 LiFe battery mounted in a box under the fuel tank - both of which are immediately behind the firewall. Battery box is totally sealed box with only opening at rear.

Battery is surrounded with thin layer of latex foam.

The main two servos are standard size and are fitted on a ply tray immediately behind the 6 oz tank.

Radio gear is lightweight Spektrum 2.4 ghz.... main receiver under trailing edge of wing - satellite back at second vertical brace behind wing.

Both receivers are mounted on velcro with strip of latex between inner and outer velcro.

Pushrods to rudder and elevator are Tasmanian oak with bound metal rods both ends.

Throttle servo is micro digital/metal gear and mounted just behind firewall on r/hs. Rod from servo forward to throttle lever through very small hole.

Ok - pix.... just a couple for now. The model is now fully covered, awaiting windows and paint trim.

[URL=http://s236.photobucket.com/user/rospeco/media/Junior%2060%20002%20mail_zps3oaorn0e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/rospeco/Junior%2060%20002%20mail_zps3oaorn0e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s236.photobucket.com/user/rospeco/media/Junior%2060%20001%20mail_zpslqumnpl2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff174/rospeco/Junior%2060%20001%20mail_zpslqumnpl2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Appreciate any comments/suggestions... hope to have the model ready for maiden within the next two weeks.

frats,

Rosco

hello from me rosco, ..... i think you have gone Way over the top with your JNR...it will fly-the wing is really efficient...but a lot of the things you mention are really not needed.....i would get someone to give it its first /maiden...... dont bother with spoilers etc!....8oz of lead in the nose is the norm...the model was designed in 1946 for a heavy old petrol engine/battery...let us know how it go's......welcome also to the RCME forum.

ken anderson...ne...1 ......... JNR 60 dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/01/2016 10:46:52

Thanks Ken,

I'm really concerned with this model. I have been flying r/c for some 20 odd years - off and on.

Recently returned about 2 years back in mode 2 after previously having been gold wing and instructor rated in mode 1.

The model feels like it's made of lead - and I am yet to add any to it.

I have a 3 oz chrome plated brass spinner on order. I am yet to add the nose block and anything beyond the bearers.

Yes, I can fully appreciate that the wing is simply lifting device - but the weight of the fuse frightens me.

I've built it strongly.. extra bracing and more ply where I believed it needed.

The wing is relatively light - probably not much more than what anyone else has built - but it has two 9g servos built into the outboard wing areas with thin wire pushrods. The servo leads run through the wing and couple up to short extensions from the Rx.

I intend to add paint detail and seal the entire Solartex with a very light coat of Rustoleum - which is favored amongst our members.

I know of only two others who fly mode 2 at our field... getting anyone to take this up for me is almost non-existent. The cross their fingers like they are trying to exorcise me when I turn up with my mode 2 gear!

I'll put some more pix up for anyone following this thread - might give others some options if they want to incorporate any of my mods to the model.

I have made all alterations on the plan - the main one being getting the incidence absolutely neutral.

The wing itself should lift the model - if I get the c of g close, enough power should result in a gentle pro-longed climb-out.

thanks again, Ken - for your kind and prompt reply.

2 weeks and we should know if anything I've changed has been worthy.

I don't know if I mentioned, but I am powering this model with a little used 1979 Saito exposed rocker 30.

I have a 56 and am about to order a 40 as well..... one of them will have enough grunt to get it to fly..... I'll start with the 30 (it just seems period suited) and then work up... I also have a 62v and a 95v... won't be any wings left if I use the 95... but I am determined to get this model up.....

frats,

Rosco

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 17/01/2016 09:32:43

This post has very little to do with the thread so please bear with me, seeing Ken's cat there at the tail of the J60 reminded me of my cat who used to love crunching balsa wood, especially doped and tissued balsa. I'm pretty sure he's the one that did for my KK J60 back in the mid 50s.

His favourites were the KK 3/6 flying scale rubber powered planes, he just seemed to love the crunching noise they made.

I could have killed him of course...angry

Edited By Braddock, VC on 15/01/2016 15:23:38

Thanks again, Ken - I very much hope you don't mind, but I've "stolen" your paint scheme..well, something very close.

As mentioned above, mine is covered in Antique Solartex - but I am using a dark red/brown detailing trim color.

I am somewhat comforted to learn that your 30 four stroke manages to haul this half tonner around.

The little Saito 30 is a very primitive four stroke - the later ones produce more hp's.

I am only taking up 6 oz's of fuel with 10% nitro. Battery is very light, as is radio gear.

Main servo's are full standard size but engine and aileron servo's are little 9g's.

Wheels are aluminium, tyres rubber.

There's an awful lot of ply strengthening in side the front area of the fuse in the form of a battery box and fuel tank frame. I doubled the first two formers in ply. The engine bearers are hardwood with spruce stringers above them which run back to the rear wing dowels. Replacement dowel holders have now been fitted 1" further back and the original ones remain in situ.

The centre section of the tailplane is sheeted further out than on the plan.

The tailplane/fin are fixed to the fuselage.

A wire skid is fitted inside the rudder and bedded to it in a ply insert.

Fin, rudder, tailplane and elevator are all to plan size.

Wing is plan exact except for addition of ailerons and servo mounts.

Undercamber cap strips were coated with balsaloc prior to covering and hold the solartex in position.

Firewall, bearers and within fuel tank area of fuse are all painted with fibreglass resin.

If I might ask - how did you chaps fit your windows - and what did you make them from.

The front windshield outline is on the plan - I am yet to cut this ... and undecided what material I'll use.

Braddock - no issue... cats - we have one which can't resist chomping away on unused film covering - she loves the adhesive.. I often find her hiding in my workroom (spare bedroom) - the giveaway is the sound she makes chomping on it.... she knows she's not allowed to do this - and scurries off when busted.... I have a lot of mangled covering.

Thanks again folk - I'll snap up some pix later and add them to this thread.

Apologies for digressing from the OP.

frats,

Rosco

Edited By Ross Burgess on 15/01/2016 21:56:28