Too old? What trainer?

Peter Marsh

At the age of 70 I've been out of the flying game for some 20 years, Recently I was invited back toan event at my old club, and I must say I'm sorely tempted again! My questions are: should I really bother at my age, since my skills have probably diminished somewhat?. Would my old A cert still be valid? Technology has marched on of course, so if I do take the plunge would an electric ARTF be the best way in?

Hi Peter, be tempted thumbs up Plenty of flyers go on well into their 80s and 90s so you're just a young 'un wink 2And after all, they say 60 is the new 40 don't they? That makes you 50'ish.

Your old 'A' cert is valid I guess but, of course, common sense must prevail so you need to get some help if you're unsure. A few flights on the club buddy lead will soon blow away the cobwebs and have you back up to standard I'm sure.

Trad build, ARTF, RTF, i.c., or electric - there are so many more options these days so it's entirely down to you. You'll probably have noticed that flyers do a bit of each - they'll have an i.c. model/s for the nice days and electric model/s fo quick and easy flights where there's less mucking, perhaps when it's cold or time is limited.

Welcome back, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 30/09/2012 07:37:01

Hallo Peter, 70 is only a number and I'm sure your old skills will soon return. I'm 79 now and learned to fly R/C just a few years ago. The model that finally got me flying was the Basic3D, a design by Mike Keay and available as a plan or kit from RCM+E. I liked the model so much that I built another after an unfortunate incident involving an aerial that wasn't extended!. The second one is still flying and is nearly three years old. Whichever route you choose, enjoy it.

Hi Peter,

Spectrum are a good brand, I use a Dx7 myself but it's what feels comfortable to you, try a few at your LMS and see how they feel.

A lot of the BnF models are fitted out for Spectrum Tx's but the PnP you can fit what system you like.

Either way you can kit yourself out fairly cheaply these days, you can pick up a Dx6i for not much money nowadays.

Tony

Peter 2.4ghz radio is different these days, with it then gone are the days of peg boards transmitter control and shoot downs by someone else on your frequency, your 2.4ghz transmitter will only control the specific reciever is matched with or "bound too"

But specific systems only work together as all manufacturers use slightly differing systems, Spektrum have dsm2 an dsx, Futaba have fasst and f-hss etc and theyre not compatible with each other

BnF is Bind and Fly, where the model comes with a reciever (usually spektrum) and everything control wise is already installed, you just "bind it" to your specific transmitter and your ready to fly

PnP is Plug and Play where everything else except reciever is already installed, so you add your own reciever and battery, and your ready to fly

Peter,

I hit the big 70 last February,I build non stop and passed my A cert last month,Its a great hobby to get back into,you must keep the little grey cells moving.

ths forum is a friendly place with plenty of advise and good quality abuse and bad jokes especially from the king of NE1 bad jokes dept.

Jim ne23 oldy dept. cool

age is just a number..

If you cant get hold of an instructor, or just want some practice on your own, My advice would be to get a chep model flying sim like RC planemaster to practice on (assuming your PC has a graphics card). RC planemaster is about £20 or you could download FMS flight sim but will need to sort out a controller connected to your PC. (you can buy a lead). If money is no object there are some expensive and very impressive flying simulators available these days.

There are some easy to fly foam electric models like the multiplex easyglider and twinstar, etc. made out of a type of foam called elapor that can be fixed with superglue. The twinstar is also capable of aerobatics even on the standard power set.

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum!

Never to old mate - I've made arrangements for a Tx to be "in the box" with me - well you never know do you wink 2

Seriously, I know of many people who have sucessfully taken up R/C for the first time older that you! So, as a "come back" you should have no problems.

On Radio gear - all the name brands are good kit - depends what feel good in your hands. Futaba, Specktrum, JR etc. But do get 2.4 - it really is the future of the hobby.

On models - well depends how you feel. I wouldn't have a thought a return to a basic trainer was necessary - unless you felt happier with that. Like Ken I'd suggest an electric powered foamie to start - realatively low cost, very robust, go together quickly so you're flying quickly. Foam-e WOT4 or perhaps the new one, errr the errr "Rebel", "Rascal" something like that - must be me age! Someone else will remember - white and red thing - ;looks like a WOT4?

BEB

BEB

Peter

Welcome back .I'm your age and returned a while back .All that's significantly changed is the height of the trees .How about an "Arising Star "with an SC or ASP 52 or 61 fourstroke to get back the feeling .Unless you want to build something of course .

How far away are you from N Yorks 'cos I have one & radio gear as well surplass to requirements .Only test flown.

Hi and welcome,

If you you fancy coming back into it I would highly recommend (if you can afford it its not cheap) the Sebart Shark S, Its so light and floaty, but has more than enough power with the right set up to play about with. A few weeks ago on a nice calm sunny day (remember them?) we managed a 20 min flight, basically a take off a few circuits and then we found some thermals and shut power right down and just rode them. It is also a very forgiving plane. I have mine all fitted out with Hacker gear, but there are cheaper alternatives as well as the 2nd market where you can pick one up fully kitted out for the price of a new airframe.

I fly mine on a Spektrum 7 and would highly recommend this gear, together with HiTec micro servos which again very reliable

Whatever you chose, happy flying.