Mass Build 2013 The Shortlist - time to vote!

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/10/2012 20:17:04:
I did wonder that Malcolm, and the figure of eight shaped formers that mean curved balsa sides aren't the perfect introduction for those that havn't built before either.

I may be mis interpretating this but from what I can see from the available pics the pushy cat is pretty much slab sided ! Is it not ??

Phil

Advert

I think the trick with the toucano for begginer flyers would be to slightly increase the dihedral and omit ailerons to give a slightly more stable simpler flyer.

given that the Pushy cat is not looking like becoming the mass build subject I think I may try a sheet foam version as an "alternative build" alongside the mass build looks like a real candidate for a foamy park flyer

Phil

In response to malcolm's point earlier, bear in mind guys when we talk about "beginners" here we are meaning "beginners to building from plans" not necessarily people who are beginners to flying. Many of those that have taken part before have been experienced and accomplished flyers - but have always flown ARTF's. That's the sort of "beginner" the mass build is aimed at.

With the exception of the Bushwhacker I would not claim any of these models are very well suited to a complete beginner in the context of flying. Although I also think that any of the others are "flyable" by pilot with some, but perhaps limited, experience.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/10/2012 20:55:30

On the whole issue of plan/canapy prices.

This is a vote for what you want to build. Decide on that basis only. Now, if an MHS design is choosen then I think you can take it as read that we (the mods) will do our best for you in approaching the company, explaining the situation, and seeing if we can't secure some type of discount given that 50+ plans/canopies and maybe even woodpacks are likely to be sold. Obviously, no promises - but we will try and I agree I think we would have a good case to push.

But,...in my view that is an issue for after we have selected - not now. If we did do that now then I am sure that there are those on here who would immediately accuse us of seeking an advantage for MHS by dangling an unfair carrot.

So, lets for now just discuss the building and flying merits of these proposals and get on with choosing the model we want to build and fly, and let's cross the other bridges if and when we come to them

BTW - it wont help such negoiations if there is wide spread and onvious talk on here of folks swopping "blackleg" plans!

BEB

Some folks were asking about IC conversions of Nigel's designs. As has been stated Nigel includes details of the IC conversion of the Whizzza on the plan, regarding the Tucano - well no details from Nigel as such but as the video below shows its certainly well possible...

It also shows what amazing flier it is (even if the landing is less than perfect! - we all do one of thos occassionally - well I know I do!). Its amazing to me to me that what is just a sheet wing flies so well!
BEB

Apologies for that, some weeks ago I broke a vertebrae and severely bruised a kidney in an accident at work and this has completely halted any development on the canard free plan design for now.

However I expect to be back on my feet pretty soon so I should be able to get it through the mill for a Spring issue in time for next season.

Nigel Hawes.

Well I have a Whizzza that I built last year so the Tucano is my preferred build.

Just been reading the rules for the build sooooo increasing the plan size, beefing up the stress areas, fitting retracts and a RCV fs is a little over the top...devil