Mass Build 2013 The Shortlist - time to vote!

I'm not committing to this - yet! How about putting power requirements in ith the options so those of us with existing spare gear don't all have to go searching to find which design fits?

What I would also suggest is that whichever design is chosen gets re-issued as a freebie with the magazine. That might encourage a few more to join in. After all, article subjects get recycled, why not plans?

Just for th record - the Tucano is available as a kit (from sources other than MHS), the Bushwacker is available from Ben Buckle and (and I think MHS), the Pushy Cat is Traplet.

What ever model is selected we can explore at least getting a wood pack together provided we have enough sign ups - so don't worry too much about that.

Bob - re power requirements - yes I will try to do that tonight. Its a bit tricky for some but I'm sure we can come up with an eductaed guess in cases where the electrical/ic equivalent isn't given.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 14:38:11

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 14:37:36:

.....and (and I think MHS), the Pushy Cat is Traplet.

Quite so BEB! It was a free plan in an issue of QEFI some years ago.

Just for the record I've built two myself, and seen many others fly, and so can vouch for its performance using a wide variety of power trains. It's viceless.

tim

I've voted for the Whizzza (but quite like the Tucano).

The Whizzza because it's just such a flexible choice. It can be built at around 2.0 to 2.5 lbs so a light 200W electric setup would suffice. But I know some have been powered by up to 500 or 600W so we know it's pretty tough and would also suit a "hooligan"

There's already an IC section on the plan, so that is sorted. For 20 - 25 power.

Because of the mid wing it's pretty easy to handlaunch, or if required there's an undercarriage option on the plan. The plan also shows options for both glued on wing and a removeable one.
The advantage of not being scale is that there's loads of scope for customisation, like a V tail or T tail or different shaped wing tips.
I think it would make a great slope soarer too, and as for colour schemes, well the sky is the limit.

Pushy Cat.........It would appear there are two quite different Pushy Cats! The MyHobbyStores one is the Vic Smeed PET 528 plan but seem to be the wrong one! Very confusing.

Presumably everyone here is talking about the Traplet MW3136 Ron Laden design from Q&EFI Jan 2005?

Yes kc - the Ron laden one.

I like the Pushy Cat but it does have one drawback for me - I really wouldn't fancy handlaunching it with that prop at the back doing 10,000rpm! I'm not the most accomplished handlauncher in the world - not helped by being Mode 2!

What's worse is I can just imagine my clubmates faces when I say "Can anyone give me a launch with this please"! wink 2

BEB

Posted by Daniel Cardona on 01/10/2012 19:22:04:

the tucano it's nice but correct me if i'm wrong , if i remember the tucano's wing is permanently attached to the fuselage. so the whizzza for me is more versatile with the detacttable wing plus looking to a video on youtube it has a very nice speed range.

go whizzza!

The Whizzza does indeed have a nice speed range Daniel. They can potter around quite sedate and are happy like that - then you can "open the taps" and it'll really go!

BEB

Posted by Daniel Cardona on 01/10/2012 19:22:04:

the tucano it's nice but correct me if i'm wrong , if i remember the tucano's wing is permanently attached to the fuselage. so the whizzza for me is more versatile with the detacttable wing plus looking to a video on youtube it has a very nice speed range.

go whizzza!

Daniel,you are correct,it is a one peice model....but,it's very easy to make the wing seperate for very little weight gain.I have one that's in the matt chapman livery and made into a two peice,still just as strong as well,so that should put the Tucano back in the running.

Hi All,

while of course everyone is very welcome to join the debate - can I just ask that if you are not planing to take part in the build that you consider if you should abstain from actually voting! Otherwise we run the risk of getting a model selected that lots of folks say they like - but they are not actually going to build!

I'm not suggesting that this is happening in any way - really its a just a point we should have made at the outset. Obviously this isn't like one of our standard polls - its about actually "doing something"!

BEB