Mass Build 2013 The Shortlist - time to vote!

Hi Steve,

I will try my best to get to Greenacres in 2013.

I almost made it this year but a number of circumstances foiled my plans sad

If either design won and I can get to Greenacres, I'd be delighted to judge them and award a prize - both models have already had a good run but to see one of them "revived" would be wonderful!

Nigel Hawes.

You too, Chris.

The Tucano was designed just on the brink of Brushless coming in so most were either powered by a geared brushed motor such as the ones from Fanfare using the MPJ reduction unit, or for AXI 2820/10 outrunner. I had Graham Cornford of Fellside Precision Cutting make a load of CNC-cut motor mounting formers for the AXI, and it seems that most modern outrunners and many brushless can motors also fit the cooling and bolt holes correctly.

Sadly I don't think Graham does this anymore, but I'm sure there would be no problem in getting someone with a CNC router to produce them again.

The Whizzza was always for brushless motors, and the CNC disc, of which I still have a few dozen left over from long-distant kit production, also fits most modern motors.

So in this respect I don't think there would be much if anything required to bring either plan up to date, except the odd bit of beefing up here and there from lessons leanred during heavy landings! smile p

Nigel Hawes.

Nice to hear from Nigel again, one of Nature's Gents.

However I will be voting for the Pushy Cat, as I have built a Wizza and a Fizza as well as 3 of their ancestors, Nigel's P.R.A.T., the last P.R.A.T. still airworthy and going like smoke with a little outrunner screwed to the front. (I also flew it with an inrunner salvaged from a Funjet attached to the front with dowels and rubber bands, nice noise but insane!)

So, a PushyCat gets my vote - if only to give my little Funjet inrunner something to do.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 03/10/2012 16:42:33:

Looks like the Tucano is the popular leader at the moment. Does anybody know if it can be fitted with an undercarriage question Can it be used for the "B" test... although I need my A test first crying

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 03/10/2012 16:42:46

It say yes to all of your questions here

Posted by Phil B on 02/10/2012 05:48:53:
Posted by Stephen Jones on 01/10/2012 21:20:38:

Hi ,

I think which ever is the wining model chosen should be re published as a free plan .

So as all who wish to take part can without having to buy a plan or at least those that are only vaguely thinking about it will have the plan to look over which may give them the added push to get involved .

Besides i lost my plan of the mini Jazz embarrassed .

Yes very goog idea

Yeah. I have always wanted to make any one of the models on here but being a student finding spare money for plans and things is hard. If I want a plan or kit I have to choose the one I want the most out of a list. 

An idea would be to have put up a model that would be a free plan in a future issue just like you did with the mini tryo

Edited By Ed Mason on 04/10/2012 17:46:15

It's the Tucano for me. Saw some of these at Chester a few years ago but there was no kits left as they had all sold out and I always regretted not building one - it would be great to get another chance as they seemed extremely forgiving in flight even at slow speed. But how would we get canopies etc? Would RCM&E make them available or do BVR Kits still sell them? Romie.

Hello Nigel . I have just built one of your Tucano's . In fact It was the very first kit that you included a letter in to the owner descibing it as " very much pre -production"The kit was given to me some time later and languished in the loft for a few years. I built it early this year with a cox TeeDee for power but changed it to electric just recently . It uses a 3600kv motor spinning a 5 1/4 x 51/4 cam prop and goes like a pylon racer surprise. loads of fun . ideal for a quick livener to wake up the fingers . Are you still designing /producing kits?

E.D.

Vortex Vacform ( is that the same as Vortex Plastics? ) list a Tucano canopy for 8 pounds but that seems larger than that on the plan. ( how do they measure a canopy - trimmed size or as it comes from the mould? )

MyHobbyStores sell the plan for 12.50 and canopy for 10.45 pounds. The plan price seems very steep for such a small model and it's at least twice the price you would expect for a bit of paper with very little ink on it!

Perhaps we should say to MHS "if we choose this plan will you give us all a much better deal to encourage building from plans?" If they dont agree lets choose something else! We must have some clout in this matter! ( actually I dont care -for myself - I have the plan but I want to encourage others to build from plans ) Maybe Vortex would do a deal too.

Note.  I am referring to the 45 inch Tucano maybe the previous engine data referred to the smaller version?

Edited By kc on 06/10/2012 18:49:55

Having drawn a few model boat plans my self I can fully appreciate the work that goes into a design that when on paper is capable of being replicated by others and from that perspective I feel the plan prices on MHS are probably very reasonable I am unable to comment on the value for money aspect of the canopy although I guess the demand for an item very much determines its retail price. Tooling costs are by far the largest chunk of producing an item like a canopy so a low demand has to increase the price so as to allow re-couping of these costs within a reasonable time span.

Just my 2p worth

phil

I hope BEB wasn't referring to me when he mentioned threatening and bullying! I was suggesting using normal business tactics ....."if we can buy in quantity can you offer us a better deal because we have other options too"

Far better to have a fair deal than have high prices which encourage people to pass around 'bootleg' copies!

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 06/10/2012 20:05:32:

As for being suitable for beginners - are low wingers really ideal?

Malcolm

I did wonder that Malcolm, and the figure of eight shaped formers that mean curved balsa sides aren't the perfect introduction for those that havn't built before either.

I think the Whizzza fits the first timers breif better, and with a very impressive performance envelope it would be a lot of fun for all.

I think that because we've done this a few times, we new have a range of experiences wanting to join in that is almost impossible to cater for.

If all those that have voted join in however, there will be an enormous base of participants. That's 180 so far!

Apperently the pushy cat is just that a docile delta with low throws and a tame ish power train however hot it up and its got blisstering performence I have flown a similar twin boom delta pusher some years ago its name escapes me and it was so stable in the glide even back then it made me look good

Phil