Mass Build 2013 The Shortlist - time to vote!

Tricky. Defiantly not the Bushwhacker and too late now to suggest the Jitterbug. I already have a Whizzza, about 4 years old now and still fly’s very well but I don’t need another. The Tucano is on very similar lines and I imagine would be very similar to fly, so not that one either.

So down to the Pushy Cat, which I have fancied for a while or the Mini Jazz which looks like an excellent replacement for my Webbit ( built the year before the 2011 mass build and easily the best flying model I have ).

I enjoy the mass builds and joining in does help to keep the enthusiasm going. So hopefully it will be the Pushy Cat, no Jazz, no Cat ! I suppose I could try a Depron Wizzza, that could be fun.

Depron Tucano maybe better, might keep the wings on longer, the speed these things fly.

Edited By Nev on 01/10/2012 21:11:26

I had such fun with my mini jazz that I gave it away to someone who would appreciate it more! Sorry, yes that was sarcasm. It promised a lot but I was very disappointed. Fair to say though that I am not a funfly flier.

Tucano, Wizza or Pushy Cat for me with the Tucano a high first on my list.

Posted by Ian Jones on 01/10/2012 21:15:01:

I had such fun with my mini jazz that I gave it away to someone who would appreciate it more! Sorry, yes that was sarcasm. It promised a lot but I was very disappointed. Fair to say though that I am not a funfly flier.

Tucano, Wizza or Pushy Cat for me with the Tucano a high first on my list.

Martyn K 01/10/2012 21:11:36
566 forum posts
384 photos

I think that there is scope to merge the votes for the Whizzza and the Tucano. The builds are very similar and it then works out as a matter of personal taste which is chosen.

Martyn

Hmm, an interesting suggestion smile d.

Hi ,

I think which ever is the wining model chosen should be re published as a free plan .

So as all who wish to take part can without having to buy a plan or at least those that are only vaguely thinking about it will have the plan to look over which may give them the added push to get involved .

Besides i lost my plan of the mini Jazz embarrassed .

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 20:00:33:......Pushy Cat but it does have one drawback for me - I really wouldn't fancy handlaunching it with that prop at the back doing 10,000rpm! I'm not the most accomplished handlauncher in the world - not helped by being Mode 2!

BEB,

I fitted a small skeg (covered in glass paper for extra grippiness), and launched mine easily and consistantly. Mode 2 as well!

tim (not voting....)

Posted by Martyn K on 01/10/2012 21:11:36:

I think that there is scope to merge the votes for the Whizzza and the Tucano. The builds are very similar and it then works out as a matter of personal taste which is chosen.

Martyn

Yes, that's an interesting idea. Its obviously very early days yet - but if the Whizzza and the Tucano came out 1 & 2 with both commanding a lot of votes then I certainly think we could look at the possibilty of a joint Whizzza/Tucano build as they are basically similar. But I think we'd want to be happy that there would be a "sprinkling" of experienced builders in both camps to ensure "beacon build threads" for the less experienced to follow.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 21:52:36:
Posted by Martyn K on 01/10/2012 21:11:36:

Martyn

Yes, that's an interesting idea. Its obviously very early days yet - but if the Whizzza and the Tucano came out 1 & 2 with both commanding a lot of votes then I certainly think we could look at the possibilty of a joint Whizzza/Tucano build as they are basically similar. But I think we'd want to be happy that there would be a "sprinkling" of experienced builders in both camps to ensure "beacon build threads" for the less experienced to follow.

BEB

Not so sure I fit on the "experienced builder" camp but I have converted a mini jazz to electric (it flew okay but I didn't like it) and I have built and converted the Whizza's little brother, Fizza, to IC. So if it came to it I would look into converting the Tucano to IC and do a build blog on it (doh! no! Have I gone and let myself in for something!)

Posted by Ian Jones on 01/10/2012 22:38:09:

Not so sure I fit on the "experienced builder" camp but I have converted a mini jazz to electric (it flew okay but I didn't like it) and I have built and converted the Whizza's little brother, Fizza, to IC. So if it came to it I would look into converting the Tucano to IC and do a build blog on it (doh! no! Have I gone and let myself in for something!)

Well I would go for the Whizzzzzzzza ( a few extras z's for effect) - so that is one in each camp..

Martyn

Posted by Stephen Jones on 01/10/2012 21:20:38:

Hi ,

I think which ever is the wining model chosen should be re published as a free plan .

So as all who wish to take part can without having to buy a plan or at least those that are only vaguely thinking about it will have the plan to look over which may give them the added push to get involved .

Yes very goog idea

I have built a Fizza so don't fancy a Whizza. The pushy cat does not apeal as I have just built a TN Vampire so I have got twin booms out of my system. The Miny Jazz flies well I know but I fancy the simplicity and scalish apearance/scheme of the Tucano. So the Tucano has got my vote.

Perhaps Nigel could produce a revised drawing for glow fanciers. What sized glow would suit, a 15, or could it take a 25?

Dale. The whole point of the mass build is that many people build the same model and share the experience. The less expert will be able to aquire knowledge and gain hints and tips from the more experienced. Therefore anyone will be able to ask what balsa to choose and how to cut out the parts - they are all pretty simple models. Any questions can be answered ( actually that applies anywhere here - ask & the answers will come )

Absolutely kc! With a mixture of skill levels everyone helps everyone else - wood selection, adhesives, cutting out, installation, power trains and covering - its all "laid bare"! wink 2

Having said that we could look at a wood pack - but obviously we need a selection and then a sign up before that!

Until then keep the votes coming in if you planning to participate!

BEB

Well I've cast my vote and you will be surprised to learn that I voted for the Tucano wink 2.

It's nice to see the Tucano doing very well but there must be lots of votes to come in yet and so anyone planning to take part should get their vote in (whatever the choice) because it's too early to draw any conclusions on what the result will be.

Not fixed - but we would like to give magazine readers that might be interested (but don't come on here that often) a chance to vote as well. The copy deadline for the next mag is very soon.

Beyond that we'll just hang on until the voting slows down and its clear that everyone that intends to vote has done!

BEB

Posted by Phil B on 02/10/2012 05:48:53:
Posted by Stephen Jones on 01/10/2012 21:20:38:

Hi ,

Yes very goog idea

Or perhaps put it up as a downloadable image? Just a suggestion.

Posted by Fun Flyer on 02/10/2012 20:25:59:

"Or perhaps put it up as a downloadable image? Just a suggestion."

Probably very economical too.

For some of the models selected, the Whizza and Tucano that I know of, there's also lots of supporting documentation already available from the designer, for example:

BVR 45" Tucano

and to try not to be too biassed,

BVR Whizza

Edited By Ian Jones on 02/10/2012 22:34:37

Not everybody is happy as far as I can see. I am a bit dissappointed as well - I hoped for more open choice, like civil aircraft... I wanted to build this - **LINK** , hence my mixed feelings.

But from other side - it is impossible to make everyone happy. Mass Build is just great oportunity to learn something, I voted for Whizza, but whichever model wins - I'm in.

Well I have voted for the Tucano - plenty of scale or non-scale colour schemes to choose from and two different sized variants, although I'll probably join in whatever gets picked in the end. That said, the winter building schedule is pretty full already - still haven't finished the Coquette I was supposed to be doing for the last mass build and I had planned on finishing my TN Spit (last winter's project), Fly Baby, big scale Chippy.... Too many models, not enough shed time!

Hi everyone,

I've just been made aware of the poll.

Although my crazy life allows me little time to spend online, if either the Tucano or Whizzza were to win I'd be happy to answer any queries regarding either design, along with a few little upgrades I added following experience from long-term use of both models.

I'd probably end up building another myself as I currently don't have an example of either left! I've sold my Whizzza and my last Tucano was destroyed in a mid-air collision at Woodvale a few years ago. They've both been a big miss.

Come to think of it, whichever design wins I think I'll join in this time! smiley

Nigel Hawes.