Mass Build 2013 The Shortlist - time to vote!

OK, time to move on to the next step!

First of all a great big "thank you" to everyone who made a proposal! We've had over 30 great ideas, all of them leading to excellent building and flying opportunities. But obviously, sadly, we can't really carry that many forward, so us mods have sat down and had a good old debate on Skype to try to narrow the field down to a managble size.

To do this we've applied the following criteria:

1. Anything selected must be suitable for a first-time builder working with a limited set of tools. And he must have a good prospect of sucess. But at the same time it should offer the more advanced builder either a fast build that won't get in the way of a busy winter building schedule or the scope for customisation.

2. It must fly well and be flyable by a realtively inexperienced pilot, but at the same time - perhaps with a "hotted up" power train - be capable of entertaining the more advanced flyer.

3. It has to be cheap!

So, no problem there then! smile

In all we've selected five models from the proposals for the shortlist which we think fit the bill in various ways. I'm now going to make 5 posts - one for each candidate - please resist the temptation to comment until I've put all five up - then you are free to discuss as much as you want!

Tomorrow, David will be putting up a poll for voting on these five.

So, here we go,... number one is....

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/09/2012 23:51:01

The Tucano!

tucano.jpg

Nigel Hawes design. For the scale buffs amongst you? Although electric could be ic powered.

45" Span. Trike undercart optional. (There is a smaller brother as well - about 31" span)

Very straight forward build.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/09/2012 22:47:09

The Whizzza!

whizzza.jpg

Another Nigel Hawes design - again nice straight forward build.

Good sports flying characteristics for everyday use, but again with the right power train it will shift and fly the full aerobatic schedule - loops as big as like, unlimited verticals etc.

42" span. Nigel's plan includes details for an IC conversion.

No Jester (Grrr!) but some nice models. I was hoping for something like Galaxy or Jester so I could enter my Domino, but it was not to be and I cannot get (yet!) another plane to build (so many to do as it is) so sadly I'm out! I'll still watch and help others though.

Looking in my crystal ball, the Whizza will win in my opinion. But it will be close, I look forwards to seeing the winner and lots of aeroplanes take shape!

Need any help just ask!

CS

Posted by Gary Vinten 1 on 30/09/2012 23:04:31:

OK being new to mass builds can someone please explane what its all aboutsarcastic

Thanks.

Loads of people build the same model with threads on here, so novice builders can build 'alongside' experienced builders and get help if they need it. People can build variations of the model as well, or just as standard. If you go to Greenacres, they then have a mass fly in.

CS

Posted by Gary Vinten 1 on 30/09/2012 23:04:31:

OK being new to mass builds can someone please explane what its all aboutsarcastic

Thanks.

Gary, I suggest that you start here and investigate the "Mass Build" boards. As you will see this is the third year we've run this activity. As CSB says the primary aim is to encourage people who have not tried building from a kit or plans before to have a go.

We select a model and then folks sign up to build a version and hopefully to record that build experience on here. That way the less experienced can watch how the more experienced go about the task and emulate them and so we hope everyone ends up with a good model. As a bonus in previous years we have met up at the RCM&E flyin at Greenacres in June to have a mass fly of the models we've built.

As you can see from the previous year's threads its great fun and everyone learns something! I hope you'll consider giving it a go this year!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 00:12:55

Alan & Richie - I'm not really surprised that the list doesn't set your collective hearts on fire, knowing you both and your experience! But with the greatest of respect it wasn't meant to! Having said that we'd still value experienced guys joining in.

The problem we will always have with this is finding models that a "beginning builder" has a good chance of completing sucessfully, but that will also interest the more experienced.

Ask guys like you what we should do and yes we'll get suggestions like biplanes and funflghters. Now don't get me wrong - no one loves bipes more than me, as you know, and I was one of the first to speak up in favour of funfighters way back when they were first proposed in the early discussion thread. But let's be honest, either of them are really suitable for a very first build. And that's the problem.

Now - nil desperandum chaps! - as my PE teacher would have said. There is alsolutely nothing stopping you guys having a "funfighter build fest" on here if you want one - nothing at all. All it needs is someone to organise it - did I hear someone volunteering? - and if they did, I for one would likely join in. But its not for the mass build is it? To be sucessful that has to be something cheaper and easier. - to build and preferably to fly. But hopefully with enough customising scope and "hooligan potential" to draw in the more experienced as well!smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2012 00:12:06

There's several in the shortlist I would consider, however one stands out from the crowd for me, the Tucano.

Why? It meets all the criteria already mentioned plus it's stand off scale. Yes chaps your very first build could be a representation of a real aeroplane - wow! teeth 2

Now we all now that the Tucano is black with yellow stripes and that's that, don't we? Nope! A search of the internet will produce plenty of scale options and here's a few examples.

There's plenty of others and of course you can always invent your own colour scheme.

Don't waste your vote, vote for the Tucano party (at Greenacres).

This was a totally biased publication by the "Make The Tucano a Mass Build Project".

Iansmile

Maybe the Pushycat, but I think all the others have been done to death over the last few years . I think the club 20/25 idea would have been good as it would have opened up a whole new world to a lot of people including me.

BEB,

I absolutely agree with the reasons for the models chosen and will more than likely join the mayhem.

I just feel it is unfair that we were all asked as whole to nominate a model, 25 of these justified models have been snubbed including the most mentioned in other threads. Would it have not been fairer to say have 6 models up per day for nomination then whittle them down to a final? This way we would all have had a fair chance at our nominated model instead of a decision that has been taken out of our hands?

Please dont think I am moaning as I'm not just looking at things on an even keel.

Rich

It's a shame that I can't vote for more than one. I suspect that I'm probably not the only one here who would participate if the choice were a couple of these. I have a Tuccano, so I wouldnt build another, and the Bushwacker just wouldn't interest me, but any of the others and I'd be tempted to have a go.

Posted by Richard Harris on 01/10/2012 08:31:18:

Would it have not been fairer to say have 6 models up per day for nomination then whittle them down to a final? This way we would all have had a fair chance at our nominated model instead of a decision that has been taken out of our hands?

Please dont think I am moaning as I'm not just looking at things on an even keel.

Rich

6 models per day? I think voting fatigue would set in pretty quickly if that was the case.

I think all these designs were free plans in RCME but years ago. Some of us will have saved the plans but those who didnt will have to buy the plans. MyHobbyStores charge 12.50 for each of these plans. Maybe as its a mass build a better deal could be arranged for the selected design?

Note that Ben Buckle also sells the Bushwhacker plan for only 6 pounds! This plan is a revised one said to be easier to build as it shows both wing panels and one piece fuselage.  Kit is avail from them at 57 pounds which includes plan & instructions.

(  B Buckle  say it's designed by Alex Lester while we all thought it was  Whittaker......  nom de plan perhaps! )

Edited By kc on 01/10/2012 11:06:47

A couple of weeks back I posted a thread suggesting I was planning a winter build and thinking about the Toucan (being called Toucano here which is the real RAF trainer). The responses I got suggested I'd be better off building a Westwings Pinto. I'm somewhat confused crook

quote ... I'd go for the Pinto out of their range. Better construction by far.

The other two models that grab me in the list are Mini Jazz and Whizza, but I can't seem to find any kits for either? Does anyone know if there pre cut kits available for either please?

edit; sorry did a bit of Googling and it seems the weatwings Toucan and the Nigel  Hawes Tuccano are two different models. very confusing for an old person like me!  They look very similar?

edit again. On second look , not at all similar.

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/10/2012 11:54:52

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/10/2012 11:57:37

Edited By Bob Moore on 01/10/2012 11:58:47