Short S.23 ''C'' Class Empire flying boat

Bart83

Thanks fot the kind words , the reason upload the picture's to this forum is that i think this subject is a very importand piece U.K national history. There is also a build thrad on rc groups with some more text.For the tail planes : i'm thinking of reënforcing the ribs using some carbon strips.

Cheers,

Bart

Here are some more build picture's

s23 (102).jpg

s23 (105).jpg

s23 (108).jpg

s23 (110).jpg

s23 (111).jpg

s23 (112).jpg

s23 (113).jpg

s23 (114).jpg

s23 (115).jpg

s23 (116).jpg

s23 (117).jpg

s23 (118).jpg

s23 (118).jpg

s23 (119).jpg

s23 (120).jpg

s23 (121).jpg

s23 (122).jpg

s23 (123).jpg

s23 (124).jpg

s23 (125).jpg

s23 (126).jpg

s23 (127).jpg

s23 (127).jpg

s23 (150).jpg

Advert

Posted by Stephen Jones on 12/01/2013 16:29:29:

Hmm , i fear you may need a bit more Strength to them with wings , Wings of that size will be under a great deal strain i guess only time will tell .

It looks a real Peach did you get the parts cut for you question

Yes , the parts were CNC cit by RBC Kits.

I use the desing of Ivan Pettigrew Short Solent 400 as a guidline to my desing.

The wing is alsmost the same as his.

Cheers,

Bart

Will you be making a proper model out of foam, rather than bits of sticks? I can understand doing a rough model with bits of old balsa to get everything more or less correct. Though there is no substitute for foam! angel 2

Being serious, I can only commend you on your work and workmanship.

It seems you used a 3d modelling package, Was this about using existing skills? Whatever you seemed to benefit from the laser cut sheets. Was the CAD work well worth the benefit from CAD work?

Looking at the lightness of the structures, is the model going to be electric.

I guess you are hoping to get your wing strength from the main spar and a stressed skin?

I have to say your work is second to none, I have seldom been so impressed with the economy of structure and of course the build quality. Quite an achievement.

Posted by Erfolg on 12/01/2013 17:11:09:

Will you be making a proper model out of foam, rather than bits of sticks? I can understand doing a rough model with bits of old balsa to get everything more or less correct. Though there is no substitute for foam! angel 2

Being serious, I can only commend you on your work and workmanship.

It seems you used a 3d modelling package, Was this about using existing skills? Whatever you seemed to benefit from the laser cut sheets. Was the CAD work well worth the benefit from CAD work?

Looking at the lightness of the structures, is the model going to be electric.

I guess you are hoping to get your wing strength from the main spar and a stressed skin?

I have to say your work is second to none, I have seldom been so impressed with the economy of structure and of course the build quality. Quite an achievement.

Thank you very much . . The model is going to be electric powered of course. I use 4 880kv outrunners spinning gws 9x7 3 blade props. Inspiration for this model came from the ivan pettigrew desings , i really like the way his desings fly and i wanted to build one. I liked his solent 400 but i always wanted to build an s23 empire. so i draw my own. Thirst had to learn CAD ( ttok me some years 

Wing strenght comes from the main spar and sheeting. the spar has 3x2mm spruce stringers attached to it and the spar has a slight bend in the middle.

Here is a screenshot from my plan :

1.jpg

I hope to keep the final weight under 2.8 kilo's

Here is video from Ivan's Martin Mars , hope to have my empire flying like this.

**LINK**

Cheers,

Bart

Edited By Bart83 on 12/01/2013 18:22:16

It was a luxury way of travel in the Empire flying boats in the 1930's

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

But it was all short-lived. With the onset of the World War II, the luxury of sleeping accommodation, cabin crew and all other trappings were stripped from the aircraft to be replaced by guns and bomb racks. The size and versatility that had made these aircraft so attractive in peacetime were to make the same craft indispensable in wartime. For although during the first three years of the war, from 1939 -1942, the empire route to London via Singapore remained in operation; the cargo of mail that had been routinely carried was gradually supplanted with loads of ammunition. Important wealthy passengers who had once been carried in luxury were replaced on return journeys by refugees eager to flee the path of the advancing Japanese forces.

Tragedy was to strike quickly though. On the 30th of January 1942, the flying boat Corio was attacked and shot down by Japanese Zero fighter aircraft, while ferrying Dutch refugees from the port of Sourabaya. Only five of the 18 passengers and crew on board survived. Two weeks later Singapore fell; the Empire route was broken. Four days afterwards, the first of the Japanese raids on Darwin caused massive destruction. One of the seaplanes, the Camilla, was moored in the harbour at the time. Avoiding the wrecks of burning and sinking ships, the plane was able to take-off during the raid and managed to escape to Groote Eyelandt, miraculously undamaged.

As the Japanese advanced rapidly through Java, an urgent demand was placed upon the remaining craft – the evacuation of stranded Dutch civilians to Broome and the relative safety of Australian soil. The evacuation was carried out by the Empire Class flying boats of Qantas, as well as by German-built Dornier DO24 flying boats, operated by the Dutch KLM airlines. On 28th February 1942, a large flock of these aircraft rode at anchor off the coast of Broome. When the Japanese attacked, many of these flying boats were still loaded with civilians waiting to be carried south to more populated parts of the country. Some were also refuelling; there was little or no chance of escaping the onslaught. Of the 15 flying boats that were moored off the coast at the time, only two survived. Sadly, seventy lives were lost.

It was a dark time in Australian aviation history. The Empire route that had been so successful no longer existed. Even if it had, there were simply not enough aircraft available to operate a regular service. Of a fleet of 10 Empire Class flying boats owned by Qantas, only four remained. Five aircraft were lost as a result of enemy action, one as a result of RAAF action – a landing incident at Townsville. Qantas was left with only two flying boats; the other two had been pressed into service with the RAAF. Apart from a handful of much smaller conventional aircraft, suitable mainly for domestic use, Qantas was largely incapable of delivering either international or internal services. The company did retain however, a collection of flying boat-experienced and capable pilots.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Sources :

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Hope you all like some aviation history . . . . .

Cheers,

Bart <

The Polk City example is I think the one located at the "Fantasy of Flight". Although I thought it was a Sunderland, fitted out for passenger services. When I visited it was located outdoors and you were free to go inside.

I think the most elegant flying boat has to be the Saunders Roe Princess. I guess the number of motors puts people of

Bart, fantastic project!

Can I ask you to PLEASE remember to insert a blank line between pictures as not doing so is really confusing our page formating software and that in turn is spoiling the enjoyment of an otherwise first class thread. I have just spent nearly 3/4 hour fixing the pictures in this thread. If you are unsure Bart just PM me further advice.

Thanks

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/01/2013 15:16:45

Have you seen the Road kings posting under the heading "Bue or Pink Foam"? c opied below

Yes i know about MPF, its the best stuff to build with and iam glad to here my friend across the pond are finaly getting some. I build toon planes like the red and yellow one inbetween my big balsa builds so i dont get burnt out on building big planes. My grandkids take most of my toon planes we get a good day of flying with them all. I dont need exspencive foam for toon planes so i save my money to build balsa seaplanes . .

He supplies no details. It really doe look like the Dogs Dodahs

Posted by Erfolg on 13/01/2013 13:24:16:

I think the most elegant flying boat has to be the Saunders Roe Princess. I guess the number of motors puts people of.

I had a look at the princess and found out that they had designed another 2 aircraft. One of them being 670 tons and having a V-tail. Talk about ambition!!

LINK

WOW !! that saunders roe is HUGE !!

Got some more done today . .

Started on the float sheeting , again some comlex curves. I hope i can do the side's using big one piece balsa sheets and then aply strip sheeting for the top of the floats.
Also sheeted the bottom of the wing.

s23 (202).jpg

s23 (203).jpg

s23 (200).jpg

s23 (204).jpg

Cheers,

Bart