Short S.23 ''C'' Class Empire flying boat

Bart83

Here i go . . .

This will become the build log of an Short S.23 '' class '' empire airways flying boat.
The scale will be 1/16.5 , this gives a wingspan of 210cm or 82.6 inch

The Short Empire was a medium range four engined monoplane passenger and mail carrying flying boat, of the 1930s and 1940s, that flew between Britain and the British colonies in Africa, Asia and Australia as well as providing service between Bermuda and New York City. It was manufactured by Short Brothers and was developed in parallel with the Short Sunderland patrol bomber of World War II and the piggy-back Short Mayo Composite .

As an 11year old i got a special issue of MAN from my dad. And thats when i first saw it , the beautifull empire flying boat.
It was Ted Russels 120inch rc model on the cover. Since then i was ever hoocked and decided that i was gonna build myself one , when ? i didn't knew but i was gonna build it.

Years ( and many planes ) later i was stumbling arround a great fenomenon : RC groups , here where i read lukeZ short solent 400 threath and i was ammazed by it and immediately the ted russel 120 inch s23 came back on my mind.
So i whent to the attic and searched my old magazines and lucky me i still had it.
Now it was time for some serious plans and with the help of internet it was a lot easier then in 1994.After a lot of '' google '' time i had collected myself a pretty big database with everything i could find on the empire flying boats.
The seawings website is a real good site. And i can really reccomend the book ''flying empire's'' by Brian Cassidy

www.seawings.co.uk

I got my self a copy of the 1:24 plans drawn by Len Whalley an i got a copy of Ivans short solent 400. The idea is to build an Short S.23 using ivans construction methods.

**LINK**

Then there was an other idea that came , i was wanted to learn how to desing rc model using CAD , and this was not easy so the past few years i went on and of with this project but now im finally getting t know rhino3d it is going the right direction and i thought it was time t post a thread.

I now have drawn a 3d model of the plane using the 3view and ivans construction methods , airfoil etc.

The model i will be building is the G-ADHM ''Caledonia'' the second boat build by shorts at Rochester.

The plane is drawn is not exactly 100% scale but i not only want it to be a good looking model , i also want it to fly good so there were some concessions to be made.
Here are the changes i made:

-Used an Selig 7055 airfoil cause i dont know how the gottingen436 airoil will work
- made the fin and stab larger to give good stability
- simplified hull shape to accomadate ivan's construction method
- Scaled cowling and nacelles to give a scale appearance
- changed float struts lengt to give more scale appearance an better water handling

Here are some pictures of what i've done so far , next is to make formers etc.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/10/2012 21:22:51

Advert

And now t really get in the 1930's mood here is a collection of film i found on the web , enjoy:

Hope you like my project , here's a picture of the construction , more to come

Cheers ,

Bart

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/10/2012 21:25:23

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/10/2012 21:27:39

Hi Bart,

welcome to the forum, exciting project!

Couple of quick points;

1. Please leave a space between pictures

2. Remember to resize videos to fit.

If you don't do these it really damages the page layout because it confuses the html! If you need any pointers then check out the tutorials here.

BEB

Thanks for the replies ,

here are some more pics of my desing including the apdated cockpit glazing , wasn''t happy with the first.

As you can see i plan to make the tail surfaces detachable.

Cheers,

Bart

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/01/2013 15:03:42

There will be a catalina flying memorial day in November at Rathmines N.S.W Australia and a Sir Richard Kingsland was the Patron, but sadly passed away on August 27 2012, I mention this as he was sent to Britain to ferry the first of the Sunderland flying boats to Australia, but war broke out and and the Australian government offered the planes to the RAF for the duration of the war, this is where Sir Kingsland was attached to the - RAF no.10 Sunderland Squadron. I hope this short story is of some interest to a few flying boat enthusiasts.

Small update:

Went on with the wing , nacelles an cowlings. Tommorow i have to make the former for the aileron servo.
And the i can do the fun part , set the wing to the correct dihedral and mirrr the whole construction. And then of course make a 2d plan and sort al the parts to sheets . . . . . and. .
i almost forgot : i have to work . . . thats ok but itcost so much free time.

Cheers,

Bart

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure whether this has been mentioned yet but have you all read 'Corsairville-the Lost Domain of the Flying Boat' by Graham Costler. My copy is a Penguin book dated 2001.

Corsairville is a place named in Africa after an Empire flying boat 'Corsair' that landed in bad weather on a river too small for it to take off easily again. However is was recovered and part of the book deals with the recovery.It also features the last Sunderland to land on the Thames which I photographed in the same location as HMS Belfast in the late 1980's I think.---If only I could find the photos?

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/11/2012 00:08:16

• 1 month later...

Excellent craftmanship with great attention to detail - even where it won't ever show - like the inside of the nose cone - superb!

The structure of your detachable tailplane is a bit of a concern.

You have a substantial rear spar to carry the elevator but the cross tube that carries all the aerodynamic loads between the either side of the taillane is only attached to it by four ribs.

Not an ideal way to transfer the bending stresses from the rear spar to the tube as you will be relying entirely on the tailplane skin. No problem if the skin is designed to do this but it might be better to locate the tube right next to or even incorporated into the spar itself.

Just an observation.

A truly impressive project.