On Board Glow Driver

Ian Jones

Thanks Flight1. That's the one the one I'm replacing, it has been tested and is U.S. The cost of replacement is more than I paid for the original which has only done half a dozen flights. It's starting to get expensive at that rate.

Confidence dented I'm looking for alternatives.

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/10/2012 00:39:27

The South Herts one linked by flight1 is the only one I know of that claims to monitor the plug temperature. I recently fitted one in my Dragon Lady after the previous rela\y type became intermittent and it does the job. I didn't need a booster of any kind for starting and it used around 500 mAHr for two 12 minute flights so I think it's draining less than the throttle position units I've got, but it's only had one outing to date. The only drawback is the need to train it for the throttle range every time you switch on - cycle full throttle to cut-off then it's set to go.

The throttle position ones work just fine though they can seem heavy on battery drain if you fly on low throttle levels much.

This is a type I've got a couple of, they're throttle position types but seem good.  They are listed complete with various size NiMh cells up to 4600s.  Fast delivery too.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 30/10/2012 10:01:00

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 30/10/2012 10:01:19

Posted by Ian Jones on 30/10/2012 00:38:47:

Thanks Flight1. That's the one the one I'm replacing, it has been tested and is U.S. The cost of replacement is more than I paid for the original which has only done half a dozen flights. It's starting to get expensive at that rate.

Confidence dented I'm looking for alternatives.

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/10/2012 00:39:27

Was it South Herts Models that pronounced it U/S? It's a one man operation (AFAIK) so might be more responsive than a large organisation if you haven't been down this route...

I've used several of them and they've been faultless (touching wood desperately!)

Yes it is the South Herts Models IG 1b. I didn't test it Paul Telco (South Herts Models) did. He has been thoroughly helpful and I appreciate that completely.

However as I opened with, someone did come up with an alternative, much cheaper device which I want to explore before I make a decision about another SHM one.

The just engines device works on throtlle position which is fine if the throttle stick is the right position when the heater is needed. In an aborted landing that may not be the case.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, keep them coming please. I'm sure ther answer is out there somewhere.

This sounds a bit odd - have you had it an awful long time without using it or reversed the polarity?

I wonder why it isn't repairable - are the components potted under the heatshrink?

Did Paul go into any details about what was wrong?

I've always been a staunch advocate of these products but I'd like to think that customer support is likely to be forthcoming should I (or someone I've recommended them to) have a problem...they're not the cheapest on the market so you're entitled to expect a reliable product.

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/10/2012 18:00:11

the SM Services one works off throttle position but also stays energised for 2 seconds after opening the throttle past the selected cut off point, so as in an aborted landing if you whack the throttle straight open after idle, it continues to energise the plug to enable it to get the revs up before switching off, cheaper than most recommended so far too,

third item down

Not odd Martin. I bought it to go in a model which it then took me a while to put together and weather, health, bereavements and a fair bit of instructing have all been distractions from getting on with it. It has actually only flown something like half a dozen times and now it is "completely dead".

I think that my posts are often long winded and detailed and my attempt to avoid that has resulted in these questions being asked. The bottom line remains the same, do I buy another or is there something else out there? Well I know there is, I just can't find it.

Code-name John - just cross posted with you - will have a look at your suggestion, thanks.

Edited By Ian Jones on 30/10/2012 19:15:39

Hi

I don't know of any other glow driver system that monitors resistance of the plug to maintain set optimal temp so saving a lot of battery.

There is another system I know of which pulses the power to the plugs but does not monitor, is the one from Sonitronics **LINK** over in the USA They are the best value system for 4 or more cylinders and their glow plug connectors are VERY good the only draw back is 4.8v nimh batteries only where the South Herts one is able to use nmh and lipo single cells so a big weight saving.

If it was me I would give SHM one another go. just my pennys worth

Have used the SM Services unit on my YT Spitfire with ASP 120 FS for two seasons now. Set to activate at 1/4 throttle so only comes into play at tick-over or when throttled back for landings etc hence minimal charge from battery taken. Nice simple unit that does the job perfectly.......... and as a retired electronics engineer, the very reasonable price makes it hardly worth the bother of buying the components and constructing one for myself!

Not familiar with the SHM unit, but I'd guess that essentially, it acts as a constant current source that reacts to the small change in the plug element's resistance with heat.

C8

Yes the SHM driver measures resistance changes caused by changes in the the glow plug element temperature. Mine was fitted in compliance with the instructions.

Now then, what happens when you wait ages for a bus? Answer, three drivers come along:

1. This one from HiModel sounds just right, price is very good - I haven't checked out P&P though. USD11.85
  2. Flying Widget Supplies have this RC AUTO GLOW PLUG DRIVER (10th item in list) for £8.99
  3. HobbyKing have one too for $7.93

All of them can take power from the flight battery via the Rx but if I did use one then I'd use a seperate battery pack wired up in the same manner as a retract power pack.

Anyone know anything about any of these?

• 1 year later...

What was the outcome of this topic.

I bought a SHM glow support some years ago and have been pleased with its performance, backup and help from SHM. I need to fit another model with a glow support and although I am happy to stick with what I know ( if it aint broke type of thing) I wonder if I should consider a more modern offering. The price of a unit is not an issue.

Oops I seem to have got distracted from this thread. Well in the end I took up Paul's (SHM) offer for discounted replacement and as my health had improved started preparing my favourite models to to fly again. Then my left forefinger and thumb developed "trigger finger" which basically means they would lock straight or bent with no control in between - also quite painful. This loss of dexterity has been awful and has prevented me from building or flying anything that doesn't shrug off crashes. That's limited me to my Fusion and the simulator. My hand has been injected with steroids and now I'm waiting to see what effect that has.

So apart from choosing the best glow driver I know of, the update is that nothing much has happened.

I can recommend the one from Just Engines. It gradually pulses the plug on/off as the throttle is opened until it is completely off at about 1/3rd throttle. When you switch of the Rx the glow driver also switches off. Fit and forget other than regular charging of course.

TBH, I don't see why they are so expensive...

I designed my own.. a handful of components (MOSFET, PIC chip etc) , you can set the stick direction and switching point - less than £5. I used it, ,flew with it, but after careful engine and fuel tube routing, found out that didn't need it!