Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Advert

Posted by Jon Harper on 03/12/2014 18:12:29:

That's what I was thinking. Its not my landings I am worried about its the old 'what if' situation. I will see how I feel when the model finds its way onto my building bench

BTW, being that the ply wasn't the strongest, even back in the 80s, I sewed my gear on with copper wire and covered it in 30 minute epoxy.

I'm planning to do the same on thje new one.

Nicknerd

stampe sv4b 98.jpgUC2Posted by Pete Willbourn on 03/12/2014 21:40:48:

Yes please cymaz .

I made my own telescopic uc on my big Porter , using small gas struts from kitchen doors

cheers

Yes, I did mine the same way, overall costs have been around 20 GBP, wasted 6 driller in the 5 mm diameter steel and wrecked my wifes cupboard. I added some screws, two strips stainless steel, some plastic tubes...everything else (whatever you spot, if you have a closer look at all those bits you have been storing in your boxes for agessurprise)

Okay, some paint as well! If you build the UC like the origin, than it is more or less a push-pull system, which can´t bend, even at the worthiest landing you can imagine wink

UC3

I have always had problems finding springs up to the job.

Nice to see different ways.

You chaps must treasure your Stampes way more than me.

My old club was not cross wind friendly, and it often suffered from down drafts, strange thing to see a plane doing well on finals then being shoved into the runway, its a bit like watching cars on a exposed bridge in high winds.

Its always windy at my new club, and cross winds quite often, so you have to just get used to it .

The only saving grace is that the wind tends to be steady and does not do anything nasty.

With Bi-planes I have found that on windy days at a good height not to far from edge of runway pull the throttle back to idle and set the plane in a steep approach angle, you should get a nice draggy decent that feels solid and controlled Then round out and land, only need a short section of runway as well,

The tri plane is near on a vertical dive at the threshold no need to go to far out.

Let the drag of airframe and propeller do the work.

Do it on a light wind day and you will overshoot

works well for me, none of this hauling it up to the runway from eye squinting distance being bounced around wondering how its going to end.

Posted by cymaz on 03/12/2014 21:33:27:

I have pictures of all the individual parts. I will download them if anyone wants them.

rothmans undercarriage.jpg

rothmans uc (2).jpg

rothmans uc (3).jpg

rothmans uc (5).jpg

The parts have been stripped and cleaned as I had a bit of a hard landing. As a result the undercarriage needs a reworkface 8

Nice Job guys.

You've really inspired me, even if I am a "good enough" sport scaler.

If I can find a suitable plastic tube to flatten, I might go ahead and make the struts more scale.

I intend to fly the heck out of it so it's got to be durable and (naturally) easily fixed.

BTW. a note for anyone considering a large glow four stroker.

Before you do anything, put a drop of oil on the carb/manifold joint and blow in the exhaust with the carb blocked to check the Oring.

The Oring on my ASP 180 was pushed out of place during assembly.

Nicknerd