Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Advert

a 12oz tank will run my laser 155 for 8.5mins (on my tranny timer), I then do another pass or whatever and land. by the time im on the ground its easy 10 mins and there is a reserve for a go around or two if I need it.

The saito uses more fuel than a laser would but still, im sure 10 mins would be doable on 12oz as you wont need to be flat out all the time. especially if you use something like a 16x6 as you will get good thrust from that

At last I have sorted the tank problem. I removed F1 and chain drilled F2 with my Dremel., made a nice square hole and now can now use a 12 or 14oz tank.

Tidied up the tank hole replaced F1, glued in some triangular fillet around the joints of F1& F2 and now back in business.

Just goes to show that sometimes putting together ARTF you forget how to solve problems which seem simple in the end.

DB Sopwith Pup next.

Thanks to those who responded to my original email

Posted by John Lucas 4 on 15/12/2014 19:24:00:

At last I have sorted the tank problem. I removed F1 and chain drilled F2 with my Dremel., made a nice square hole and now can now use a 12 or 14oz tank.

Tidied up the tank hole replaced F1, glued in some triangular fillet around the joints of F1& F2 and now back in business.

Just goes to show that sometimes putting together ARTF you forget how to solve problems which seem simple in the end.

DB Sopwith Pup next.

Thanks to those who responded to my original email

Any photos?

Posted by Stearmanandy on 17/12/2014 18:59:25:

good News! My fuselage is ready to cover! Finished those stupid wing firings and started my beloved Job smiley

Looks good! especially those Instrument panels.

Have you run your engine yet?

I've been wondering if the bigger engines (like my ASP 180) run hotter than the smaller ones.

I've run a gallon and a quarter of 10% fuel (18% castor/syn mix) and it's just starting to loosen up to where I can hand start. but when it's running about 500 below peak with moderate blue smoke it measures about 250 F at the side of the rocker box.

It doesn't smell hot or act like it's hot , but my .91 measured 190 F in the summer when running in.

soooo....

Nicknerd

Larger engines do run hotter but I have no idea how hot as I never bother measuring it. I would guess its somewhere about 125'c on the head but im not sure.

Its funny you say its taken over a gallon before it will hand start. If my Lasers don't hand start first flick from new I am very disappointed, and the run in procedure is only 3 minutes long so no wasted time on the ground :D

I'd love a Laser 150 in my Stampe's nose but the price to me would be $450 compared to the ASP's $250.

So I'll burn $20 in fuel running it in and still have enough saved over to buy Super Coverite for the whole ship.

Still, if someday I strike oil in the back yard, you can bet I'll be building a 1/4 scale Bleriot for that Laser V 160!

The ASP isn't a bad engine so far though, it just doesn't have the precise tolerances, so it's tight for a while.

The Magnum 91(same company as ASP) I have in my Smith miniplane is strong and reliable. (it only needed 45 min. of run in) So I'm hoping the 180 will be the same.

Last few times I ran it, it started on the first backwards flip, after 6 chokes. and the compression is better too.

nerd

I don't want to tease you Nick but I'm thinking of selling my Laser 150. It needs a service and possibly new bearings but if you are still interested in the new year send me a post. I'm gradually moving to petrol on my bigger models.

It's all a question of money, as always, if I get a work bonus then I will get another petrol and sell the laser. Interested?

I think I am.

I don't have anything in queue that would use it presently, but you never know what's coming.

This time last year, I had no idea I'd be building another Precedent Stampe.

Then around May I came across this thread and was wishing a lot.

Lo and behold! by July I had a kit and now I'm about half way thru.

Ain't life amazing?

So Drop me a post if it happens. Who could pass up a Laser if he's not destitute?

What's the prop range on it? (see! even if it doesn't happen, I'm already thinking about ships for it wink ..

PS, I love the way the closing parenthesis comes out on this forum.

Edited By Nick Santovito on 20/12/2014 16:39:28

Posted by Jon Harper on 23/12/2014 08:38:35:

Depending on the age of the engine and the prop/fuel being used a laser 150 should take an 18x6 to about 7000-7400 rpm

Sounds about right, you Laser fans should get a kick out of this... I think the 180 is turning that size prop around 8k on 10% nitro, so the Laser is close if not equal.That's probably about as good as it will get since I'll run her peak less 500 - 800 since it's fully cowled.

I'll probably run it at 1/2 to 2/3 for most operations

(if I ever get it finished)

Meanwhile we've got heavy rain and tornado warnings tonight and tomorrow.

Cheers

PS Bert, I prefer a slow rev-up, keeps me out of trouble on the touch and goes.