Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Advert

The bottom is sheeted and rough sanded.

cabane blocks tack glued and shaped.

Top is sheeted.

Nothing to do but add cap strips, interplane strut platforms, sand the heck out of everything in sight (the dog is cowering in the garage) and the top wing will be done.

Well, I just remembered I gotta hinge the ailerons...

Edited By Nick Santovito on 18/02/2015 04:01:38

Hmm..

Should I tell or keep them in suspense....

OK, I'll tell,, besides the weird look imparted by the square LE, one LE had to be replaced by a piece that's 1/8" taller (as seen from the front).

BTW, I have 1" at each tip.

It also looks different because I always extend the top wing CS sheeting out one extra bay because we were always damaging the cutout corners on Paul's Stampe while handling.

I did it on my 1988 one too, but no one noticed on the framework pic many pages back in this thread.

here it is again to save searching:

stampe-01.jpg

Oh yeah! the wing attachment is by the book, the only diff is that I use socket head stainless steel 8/32" screws with thick washers in my famous "non round" holes in the balsa blocks and brass threaded inserts in the blocks. I hate using hard to turn nylon bolts with their strippable head slots.

I'll pop off the balsa blocks to attach the wire when I have the fuselage framed up. It's easier for me to get the incidence and alignment right when I can slide the clamped on wires around on the formers and then bolt them down

Nicknerd

Same on the bottom wing except I use 1/4x20 bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine!

took 12 days to achieve some minor carving and sanding.

Well, in my defense, I had a heck of a cold from the weather being 70 degrees on Thursday and snowing on Friday!

Anyway, I know that the pics looks like I have about an inch of washin, but It really does measure at 1/4" washout.

Now all I have to do is hinge the ailerons, do just a bit of smoothing and she's ready to set aside so that I can start on the fuselage sides.

Yeah, I clean after each day's work. I got tired of finding dents in the bottom sheeting from wood chunks and bits of epoxy. (I block sand the surface to get rid of glue puddles)

Pretty fussy, eh?

I forgot to mention, I think one thing that makes the dihedral look weird is that I have a sag in the workbench.

That's why I have a building board on top of it. (and the pins don't stick in plywood well)

Glad that c-fxme is still in one piece.

Weather was weird here, one week it's in the sixties and seventies, then winter blasts back with temps in the twenties and thirties. We got about 5 inches in 2 hours when the two systems overlapped.

Georgia always gets "huge" flakes in the spring.

ta ta

Posted by Nick Santovito on 09/03/2015 14:56:42:

Yeah, I clean after each day's work. I got tired of finding dents in the bottom sheeting from wood chunks and bits of epoxy. (I block sand the surface to get rid of glue puddles)

Pretty fussy, eh?

I forgot to mention, I think one thing that makes the dihedral look weird is that I have a sag in the workbench.

That's why I have a building board on top of it. (and the pins don't stick in plywood well)

Glad that c-fxme is still in one piece.

Weather was weird here, one week it's in the sixties and seventies, then winter blasts back with temps in the twenties and thirties. We got about 5 inches in 2 hours when the two systems overlapped.

Georgia always gets "huge" flakes in the spring.

ta ta

Georgia State....is it famous for Peaches??

I finished building a low winger, guess what it was called........yep Georgia Peach

Well, just about to start working on the wings and I could not find the second plan for starboard wings... as those of you that have been before know the great old style instructions are to hold the port plans against a window and trace on the rear, thus creating the starboard plans.....

What an amazing example of cutting out cost, no wonder Precedent went to the wall.

I must be really lucky with the version of my kit the ribs are all pretty accurate, lined them up on a spar for a sand and they are not bad.

Wings, I hate them. Why on earth build a plane with 4??? But it will feel so nice when No. 4 is complete and the taste of balsa dust is gone.... to be replaced by the perfume of Glo.wink 2

Posted by Martin U on 10/03/2015 07:02:41:

Wings, I hate them. Why on earth build a plane with 4??? But it will feel so nice when No. 4 is complete and the taste of balsa dust is gone.... to be replaced by the perfume of Glo.wink 2

It's the irony of ironies....

People who love bipes the most....

In case you didn't see it, I took my wing plans down to the office supply store and had mirror image copies made.

Posted by Jon Harper on 10/03/2015 08:33:09:

4 wings? pff. I have a triplane to build at some point!

Lord let me never get hooked on tripes!!!!