Parkzone albatross lipo goes on fire 30 seconds after take-off then ditch in pond

scott finnie

I have some great footage to follow, i just went out to check out a very cheap lipo i was given for free by a model shop, seconds after take-off i noticed some white smoke and then the battery compartment flew off, i knew straight away the lipo was bulging and had to get it down! Sadly the road i use for takeoff and land had a car driving along so that wasnt an option, i decided the pond was my only safe option and would hopefully save the plane from melting too, amazingly after impact with the 4ft deep pond the plane sank instantly and the camera keeps rolling capturing little tadpoles swimming around for 10 seconds, i waded in and pulled her out, quickly pullling out the lipo with gloves , aircraft home and fresh lipo in all is working woohoo, i thought something would have gone with the water ingress but thankyou eflite for the top quaility components and i'll be taking a trip to the model shop to tell him what i think of his freebie and to try stop him giving them away!

**LINK**

Advert

i dont get it either , i have a seperate battery for my receiver but it lives very close to the lipo , i'm looking at the terminals now and although blackened nothing looks that suspicous, thereis however a burnt hole beside the circuit but since i'm not an expert on lipos then i'll leave it to the shop to tell me whats happened

Posted by John Hickson on 16/11/2012 14:55:24:

Yeay it working this time!

I must applaud you in the way you merged aeronautical engineering with nature

I like to show my eco side and also been looking at buying a brushless boat, i had one step better with a brushless submarine, though i'm sure theres better and cheaper options smile dsplit second as the albatross enjoys its last moment of being an airplane

Posted by Ponty Bri on 16/11/2012 15:06:52:

Unique video and well done, it could have been a lot worse without your quick thinking.

Brian

Thanks and i think i'll be carrying a fire extinguisher from now on too, as soon as i noticed a problem i gained some height so i could list my options, i was afraid that if i landed in the field then the whole epo would go up in flames so i thought foam wont burn if its in the water, didnt think it'd sink though, and i was wearing my polished black shoes with flat soles that didnt help the wading laugh

I've heard some strange stories over the years, and I have to say, without the video I don't think I'd have believed this one!

I'm even more amazed that everything (well, bar the battery!) is working again after that little swim. I hope you went out afterwards and bought a lottery ticket whilst luck was still on your side...

John , i had just moved my sat receiver to just below the upper wing rather than been stuck in a no access spot within the fuselage and also had moved the esc higher up well the replica engine used to sit, i had then built a small ply box protecting the rx , this was last night and all has been saved, im uploading a video to youtube this very moment of its first flight in the air after the crash, i hadnt dried it out either, you can see the water running from it when its up, though the light was diminishing fast

S

This is footage a few hours after the water landing! the light was fading fast but managed to get some good video, though nothing scale, just all out pushing limits to see if everything is ok, had a glitch after 4 min 20 though as i reached high alt it suddenly nose dived, my panda auto pilot was what saved it at 50 ish ft , you can see the excess water running from the wing after i take off, once it glitches i decide to land and call it a day, ,

Scott