Dead stick for real - really calm pilot in a Yak 50

Bob Moore

Advert

I was wondering if it was a set-up when the prop kept going but obviously not. There also seemed to be a lot of electrically powered activity on the panel and the mags were still on at touch down. Wonder if the fuel was off - he didn't waste any time getting out though!

I was waiting for it to stall - seemed very nose high while he was manouevring around the wall!

The ground run was nice and short though - I assume the undercarriage being up was elective rather than a collapse.

Still, all's well that ends well....and I'm glad it wasn't me in that situation. A petrol tank in a forced landing is a definite liability!

Saw that video a little while ago. Very impressive piloting skills.

That reminds me of this even older but equally impressive video, of a F-16 landing completely deadstick:

Apparently the F-16 has a emergency APU that runs off the highly corrosive hydrazine. This is why at the end of the video they say to let the emergency trucks to know about the APU - as they will need Hazmat suits when approaching the aircraft.
Si.

It's a great video with the right outcome but (from the viewpoint of someone sitting at a desk but with a modicum of real world experience) there were rather a lot of errors made. I suspect he did stall onto the ground at the end as apparently he went to the hospital later for treatment - I'd guess with a compressed vertebra or two?

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/12/2012 14:22:22:

I was wondering if it was a set-up when the prop kept going but obviously not. There also seemed to be a lot of electrically powered activity on the panel and the mags were still on at touch down. Wonder if the fuel was off - he didn't waste any time getting out though!

Whoops - closer examination shows the mag switch works in the opposite direction to every other one of a similar type that I've seen...

Posted by Bob Moore on 05/12/2012 20:50:22:

Doesn't look to me as though he stalled it, but a belly landing in a field would hardly be comfortable? He was fit enough to be able to climb out quickly, so I doubt if he had serious injury.

There's a hint of a wing drop at the last moment and I suspect it dropped the last few feet - even bearing in mind the fact it was wheels up there was a very short ground run.