Register Enthusiasm for the UKCAA Here

Martyn K

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I would like to register my interest in the UKCAA.

I have recently returned to the hobby after some 35 years!!. Back in those days I flew the Curare, Tornado, Bullet etc etc in novice competitions in the very early days of the GBRCAA.

I am slowly getting back into aerobatics and relearning how to twiddle the sticks in the correct sequence! . I shall never be competitive again but enjoy trying to fly the 'old' style aerobatics.

Mike Beales

(Aylesbury)

• 2 months later...

Although spoken with Steve (Dunning) in the past about vintage aerobatics, only just discovered this forum and website today (could have told us Steve !).

Have now just joined the forum (currently catching up with the wealth of information on here) thought I would briefly introduce myself. Learnt to fly in the early 1980's (on a Frank Van Den Berg "Vertigo" with Merco 49 and Skyleader radio), flew in aerobatic competitions run by the Great Britain Aerobatic Association from the mid 1980's to mid 1990's, then stopped and left the hobby completely for a ten year period.

Having now returned, most recently been getting to grips with electric power. Purchased a plan for the Vertigo (amazed it was still available), hope to put one together at some point (has been put on my to do list !). Will defiantly try to get to some of the 2014 events even if it is only to watch, will be great to see some of these models fly again and nothing beats the sound of a nicely setup two stoke on a pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an interest in Classic and F3A aerobatics.

I was looking to get my Modelhob Merlin (1980's) back into the air but all the moldings have cracked up. So I think I will build a new one and make up some fibre glass mouldings, I was also thinking about making it electric powered. I found plans at Hip Pocket Builders. Would it still be eligable?

Thanks Steve,

I like it as it is a bit different with the mono wheel and out riggers. It used all the tricks of the day with flick flaps and air brakes. I think it will work well with electric power, my old rear exhaust engine died some time ago with a one point landing on a hard runway.

• 1 year later...

Ostensibly Motionless , was the Hare who lost His Spectacles ...............

The K.I.S.S principal currently applied appears to work very well, hope it stays that way.

it's a Big enough Sky for everyone out there - whatever their personal flying preference .

" All our Yesterdays " possibly ? but no worse for it .

Regards to all concerned.

Not as bad to fly as it sound! Don’t forget that the wing loading and speed of the classic aerobatic models is higher than a modern model and the power to weight ratio was less as well, the models also had less side area. The extra bit helped to keep things in shape and with a modern radio are easy to control, just think of what it was like back then, with sliders and knobs needing twiddling, rather than a computer mix set up we can do now.

Posted by Peter Android on 17/11/2014 17:11:43:

Ostensibly Motionless , was the Hare who lost His Spectacles ...............

The K.I.S.S principal currently applied appears to work very well, hope it stays that way.

it's a Big enough Sky for everyone out there - whatever their personal flying preference .

" All our Yesterdays " possibly ? but no worse for it .

Regards to all concerned.

* This post is an acknowledgement of the UKCAA , it's supporters and the publishers of this website for hosting it's Forum . Not to any build blog etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...