Mick Reeves 80" Hurricane

Well, here she is finished at last. This is an old Mick Reeves 80" Hurricane which I've converted to electric. I bought it as my first ever kit in 1992, way beyond my skill level so she was built and then stuck in the attic. Over the past 10 years I've built about 30 planes from plans so I decided my skill level had progressed enough for me to do a conversion on it. The colour scheme is based on a Sea Hurricane with invasion stripes, totally made up and proberly never exsisted, but I like it. Set up is 11.2 pounds fully loaded, 63/54 sized motor, 20x10 wooden prop, 70amp HV ESC, running on 10s, @ 1270 watts, 37 amps with Top Flite leccy retracts and flapsdscf8566.jpg

dscf8567.jpg

dscf8568.jpg

dscf8569.jpg

dscf8570.jpg

dscf8575.jpg

dscf8579.jpg

Hope you like it

Advert

This one John

del: XYH63-54
Input Voltage : max. 37V (10S Li-po)
Kv : 250 rpm/V
No. of turn :14 Delta
Max. efficiency current : 50A
Current capacity : 65A/60s
Internal Resistance : 59 mohm
No Load current @ 7V: 2.16A
Dimensions : 82mm X 53mm
Shaft diameter : 10mm / 0.39in
Weight with cables : 4800g /
Number of poles/magnets : 14
Recommended model weight : 5000~10000g / 176~352oz
Power equivalent : .90-150 Glow

Scary the amount of power it has!!! Can't test it on your own, you need someone to hold the model. Love the advancement in electric power we have, not gone this big before, 4s has been my maximum so far, but a motor this size going at full belt on 10s!!! Would hate to think I got in the way of it! I know you can hurt yourself with a motor running on a 4s but this is a different league, wow!!!

1270 watts divided by 11.2lb = 113 watts per lb 

or 11.2 lb = say 180 oz, 1270 watts divided by 180 oz = 7.05 watts per oz (depending which way you do it)

Will this be enough for some nice scale flying

Baz

Edited By brfc7 on 09/12/2012 13:51:22

Edited By brfc7 on 09/12/2012 13:53:55

Baz, there's a common mistake amongst radio controlled flyers that a surfeit of power is always necessary. Scale flying should only require 100w/lb, as you're looking for slow graceful manouvres, not unlimited vertical performance and the ability to prop hang. 113w/lb is absolutely fine and should still give room for getting out of sticky spots.

Hi John yes Micks newer Hurricane is 1/4 scale, but is very nice. if I were you i would go for bigger cells, your 3000 will give about the same duration as my 12S A123 2300mAh set up in my YT 72" Hurricane, i can run my cells to zero (2300) you- cant go below 25% of the lipos safely, (2250) thats only good for 6 minutes spirited flying, if you have to add weight you may as well make it useful weight wink 2 as for too much power for scale flying i am afraid with a warbird i disagree, for normal flight you dont need much, i have video of my Hurricane flying with eagle tree data superimposed, the clever M r Bott did it for me, wll find the link if you are interested? but for a big loop you need 1:1 thrust because our models do not carry the momentum of the fullsize, so we have to cheat a bit and use raw thrust. this is what Mick does with his 1/4 scale leccy spit to great effect. Cheers Danny

Great video Danny/Chris, You're right about using larger batteries for added weight of course, I'll not be flying her until the spring so I've time to spirit some pennies away to buy even more batteries. Interesting watching the data read out showing that she was quite happy for normal flying on around 600watts. Gives me great confindence.

thanks

John

I half built the MR Hurricane before drifting out of model flying in the late 70s (can't believe how long ago that was!) I've often regretted the knee-jerk reaction of disposing of the kit when my airborne radio gear was accidentally sent to the local tip - in those days a receiver, Nicads and servos were transferred to whatever model you were flying as they cost an arm and a leg...

As I recall, the model was designed for a 2 stroke 60 - in those days a 60 was a BIG engine and electric motors were (virtually) used only for servos...an electric starter was in the realms of the fabulously wealthy! I bought a second hand "as new" OPS 60 for mine and remember marvelling at the sheer size and incipient power of the beast and regarded starting it with some trepidation. As it was to run with a MR supplied "custom" in cowl silencer I did have one or two doubts whether it might reach anywhere close to its rated power on a prop suitable for the Hurricane as they were more usually twinned with a power pipe to run at twenty something thousand RPM, so it's good to know that it should have flown with less than 1/3 of what the glossy adverts claimed it would output (2.4 bhp as I seem to recall!)

Anyway, a few years back I did finally dig it out of storage and fly the engine in my old Pegasus 63" Hurricane (quite a heavily built beasty) when its SC91 FS was out of commission, using the old MR silencer as a collector with an additional expansion chamber where, restricted by a 14 x 6 prop and 82 dB, it performed reasonably well, if not ballistically. At least the engine took to the skies in a Hurricane eventually!

Anyway, despite my (illogical) prejudice against electric powered warbirds, its nice to know there are still some of the MR Hurricanes about and I hope you have hours of fun with yours. If it's a typical model Hurricane, at least you won't have to restart the engine every time it noses over while taxying!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/12/2012 13:47:29