January 2013 Issue feedback

Concorde Speedbird

Is this one of the subjects that the learned one, the BEB, has waxed lyrical over, some time in the recent past.

The presentation of torque values in model circles seems to be so well established in the modelling trade, i expect it will not happen any time soon. I guess it comes down to that the present standard (in modelling) is to quote a value of so many newtons acting at a 1cm from the fulcrum. This is what most modellers have come to expect and use the value on a comparative basis.

Most modellers in this era are not engineers or ex engineers, and probably could not care less how values are presented, as long as they are useful to them.

You are of course correct Martyn, just do not hold your breathe whilst change occurs.

Advert

I enjoyed Pete Lowe's article. I`m a sucker for a vintage biplane. However, the on board glow wiring diagram for his twin (Fig1) doesn`t look right to me. IIRC the -ve battery terminal goes to one plug and the +ve to the glow and then onto the other plug. There is no common return wiring and I don`t see how the on board glow can control the plug whilst connected directly to the batt -ve terminal anyway.

I may be missing something ( I probably am ) but I do find it a puzzle. I wait to be corrected. smile

Posted by Hogster on 11/12/2012 16:49:20:

I enjoyed Pete Lowe's article. I`m a sucker for a vintage biplane. However, the on board glow wiring diagram for his twin (Fig1) doesn`t look right to me. IIRC the -ve battery terminal goes to one plug and the +ve to the glow and then onto the other plug. There is no common return wiring and I don`t see how the on board glow can control the plug whilst connected directly to the batt -ve terminal anyway.

+ve goes to one plug, -ve to the other, via the driver, acting as a rheostat, with the metal conducting body of the engine providing the path from one plug to the other, I think. But I could easily be wrong (my wife reminds me of that regularly).

I wish I had the skills to build a biplane, though I don't have either a large enough car or enough storage space for anything as large as the Pup. Does look great.

On switch orientation; I standardised on 'back for on' with one exception on my models and prefer to have them all the same way round. However I do have a slope soaring wing that could be vulnerable to switch of on launch, though its a Wildthing so practically indestructible and would not get far in that instance. The one exception almost crashed because I automatically 'switched it off' like the others after a flight and when the next flight came round it had been left on for too long. Now has an LED battery condition indicator visible through the canopy so that I have visual confirmation of off/on. Actually, now I think of it, all my IC models do now.

The only ones without this sort of switch are electric. I haven't yet seen a ARTF electric include a safety switch in the instructions or a BNF with one as standard. So I'm in the 'safety is down to the operator' camp in the IC/electric debate. I know there was an article on how to rig safety switches in a recent issue.

Two points; 1 Am I the only person whose Futaba TX always has to have the throttle channel reversed with an ESC? Nothing in the manual. Disconcerting on my first electric install. 2 If an IC prop hits you, it usually stops the engine. Electric will keep trying to bite until the throttle is closed or the battery is disconnected.

Martyn for someone who is a stickler for accuracy you seem not to be listening to other reviewers who have already told you that our reviews are edited and as a result what you read is not allways word for word what we type, no istead you seem to have ignored this.

words i originally wrote are ". Being mechanical units they require their own servo to operate them, unfortunately provision has only been made for mini servos, now I am not sure about you, but I do not know of many mini servos with nearly 6kgf, as requested for in the manual"

please send your emails direct to the editor

Can I ask why the digital edition is always behind the printed version? Bearing in mind the printed version is probably sent over the web to the printers. They then have to actually print the magazine and then post it out. The first mention of this months magazine is on the 8th, its the 12th now and its still not on line. Part of the appeal for the digital version is that all these delays are cut out.

There may well be a good reason for the delay, I'm just asking why there is a delay.

Thanks

Posted by Bucksboy on 12/12/2012 06:55:15:

Can I ask why the digital edition is always behind the printed version? Bearing in mind the printed version is probably sent over the web to the printers. They then have to actually print the magazine and then post it out. The first mention of this months magazine is on the 8th, its the 12th now and its still not on line. Part of the appeal for the digital version is that all these delays are cut out.

There may well be a good reason for the delay, I'm just asking why there is a delay.

Thanks

It's a plot to make us dump the digital edition and subscribe to the paper version. In my case they will be successful in the first objective. crying

Lee; not sure what makes you think I haven't read, or have ignored, earlier comments about the proof-readers.

I'think I've read all such comments; but am simply saying that it's happened 'again', as it seems to every month.

If, in your submission to the mag, you're stating technical terms 'correctly' and then the editor/proof-reader is changing them to be 'incorrect' then maybe they could be persuaded to come on this forum and explain why.

ok martyn but you wrote "Come on Lee, you must know it's 'N.cm' therfore indicating i am at fault (which lets face it, is generally the case) on more than one occasion you have been told, it has been changed by the editors and as a result is now technically wrong, but you still are pointing the finger at the original reviewer...... personally i think the mag is adding the faults just to wind people up wink .............long may it continue!!

glad you liked the review anyway !!!! 

Edited By Lee Smalley on 12/12/2012 11:56:53

I think most of us recognise that the universal designation of servo output is not the same as is commonly used in engineering when defining torque. Yet by common usage by manufactures and users, has come to mean that it is the standard method of defining some aspects of servo performance.

I am curious how the present system has arisen and come to be so widely accepted.

On the other hand, the designation of N/cm does not seem to fit how servo performance is actually measured. As my understanding is that the value is defined @ 1cm, rather than per cm.

I guess the real issue the practical implications of how the available torque can be utilised. Which BEB discussed in a recent article.

I cannot get that excited at the present situation, yet do sympathise with those who see the present situation, something of a "dogs dinner. You do just live with it in the end.

Martyn

I am not sure I am with you. I live with it because, that is how things are and life is short.

I still cannot see how a system has come into being, in that does not seem to state what I think is implied. Right from the start, you would have thought, that the manufacturers would know there standard units, or if using heir own bespoke, would have stated what is intended.

I like Peter Lowe's articles, its nice to see someone who has no need to hide new purchases from SWMBO and can fully share his hobby with her.

Now for the 'however' - In his article on Skis all is well untill para 11 when I ask myself 'how do we now fit the wing?

Edited By Mowerman on 13/12/2012 10:10:03