What's going on with Irvine Engines

Ian Jones

I had a Q72 from new and the red head on that turned gold in use quite quickly, so I think Percy Varance is probably right that it's a "Q". Great motor which I flew till it was worn out. I know that they all looked similar so it's hard to tell from the photo what size this one is, but it looks bigger than a 36.

Advert

I had 5 Irvine engines, 3 x 53's and 2 x 46. It began to get difficult to get spares for the engines so I have now sold 2 and bought a damaged one for spares. Shame these are great engines always start and no trouble at all. Rather than go to SC or ASP I am now trying the small petrol engines that are now available.

Sorted it for you Colin...no worries.....wink 2thumbs up

I might be wrong (probably am....embarrassed) but wasn't the Q version of the Irvine designed for the "Quickie 500" (Q500) class of pylon racing??

@John Melia....I think Glyn is refering to the Evolution GX10 petrol engines & possibly the NGH9 although I think the NGH9 has been withdrawn while the manufacturer sorts out the various issues.....there are rumours of an SC52 petrol too...it was at Nuremberg....

Right thats enough on petrol engines....back to the Irvine....teeth 2

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 28/06/2013 17:32:29:

Sorted it for you Colin...no worries.....wink 2thumbs up

I might be wrong (probably am....embarrassed) but wasn't the Q version of the Irvine designed for the "Quickie 500" (Q500) class of pylon racing??

@John Melia....I think Glyn is refering to the Evolution GX10 petrol engines & possibly the NGH9 although I think the NGH9 has been withdrawn while the manufacturer sorts out the various issues.....there are rumours of an SC52 petrol too...it was at Nuremberg....

Right thats enough on petrol engines....back to the Irvine....teeth 2

No they were definately "Quiet" versions.

I have had several .53s and still have a .36 all were/are very good engines.

At one time Irvine were the importers for OS engines so I have trouble understanding why they have discontinued their own engines.

Posted by john melia 1 on 28/06/2013 10:30:22:

while on the subject of irvine , anyone know what size this is , its got a gold cylinder head

Q40 was my initial thought, and after reading the other replies I'm sticking with it!

It looks too 'chunky' for a 36 - and it's certainly a little different to the "turn of the century" Irvine 36 I have in front of me. The silencer on this looks like the Q ones as I recall, and the red colour could easily have faded.

For comparison, here's the only picture I can find of a Q40;

Though looking at the two, the front of the crankcase is different!  In the second pic it looks like it unbolts, Enya-style.

Edited By John Privett on 28/06/2013 21:23:33

To confuse the issue some Irvine engines are being produced in China for developing markets where SC and other cheaper engines at present dominate. These developing markets are where no model shops exist but the internet is now covering potential demand.

OS are also producing the AX 55 in China and the rest of the AX range are to be produced there.

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/06/2013 22:29:10:

The very early Irvine .40's even had the threaded bit of the crank as a separate studded section, which unscrewed completely from the crankshaft. It was claimed this would make it easier to replace if it got bent in a crash, although I never saw a bent one yet........

I managed to bend one (not sure which mark but I bought it @ 1976) in a screaming impact, bought a new shaft and somehow managed to bend that while fitting it!

I straightened it by eye, reassembled the engine and put it away - and then dug it out in 2002 and fitted it to a trainer when I took up the hobby again. It ran perfectly although I had to make an additional baffle for the silencer for modern noise standards.

Posted by Percy Verance on 29/06/2013 08:54:54:

I'd say yours would be among the first Irvine 40's Martin, sold strongly on price. Which if I remember correctly was £39.99.........

I do seem to remember that it had just been launched when I bought mine. I think Irvine were primarily distributors before then - they were in the area that I covered for work and I visited their (very old) unit in a ramshackle old trading estate in Barnet many times both for business and pleasure (I used Sanwa radio back then).

Your recollection of the price just goes to show how much cheaper this hobby has become. I'm sure that you're about right on the price which would equate to something like £400 or more these days in my estimation - I doubt that an average weekly wage was much more than the price of the engine then.

It's sad that the Irvine range seems to have been lost - the 53 ended up as a very capable engine (although occasionally prone to casing splits) and the 25 was my engine of choice for 1/12 scale combat. Maybe a move into 4 strokes could have prolonged their existence?

There was a rumour that OS obtained Irvine so that manufacture could be outsourced to China to get experience of manufacture there. That way if it suffered poor quality to start with it would not harm the OS brand. Then of course once quality production was established OS could move production of the OS brand to China to reduce manufacturing costs with low risk. Don't know if it is true but it would be good risk management.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted by john melia 1 on 28/06/2013 16:35:14:

what are the small petrol engines ? are they expensive ? does anyone have any experience of these ? sorry for deviating from the original thread , maybe i should have started a new one beer

Edited By john melia 1 on 28/06/2013 16:35:34

I am currently using an RCG 15cc engine in an Extra that previously had an Irvine 53. The engine is heavier but not expensive from Hobbyking. Starts first time out of the box seems no trouble. I am still going through the learning curve with petrol. The RCG26cc is about the cheapest but was too big for my model. The model is a 60 size but flew well with the Irvine with some weight in the nose.

CMP Extra 300S

Edited By Glyn R on 29/07/2013 14:32:56