Confessions of a Gyronut!

Gerry

Richard Harris

Congratulations on a great article summarising what fun autogyros offer to the RC flyer! Perhaps not the easiest baby to bring to life and survive without a rebuild but what a challenge! Can't wait for the March issue of RCM&E and of course the Panther plans! It looks and flys like a winner! I envisage mass sales of RCM&E next month! Well done R.H. (Gyroking) and all the supporting Gyronuts.

Will there be a Panther laser cut wood kit on offer or available soon and sourcing of the all important suitable head gear?

Advert

Posted by Gerry on 17/01/2013 11:40:41:

Richard Harris

Will there be a Panther laser cut wood kit on offer or available soon and sourcing of the all important suitable head gear?

Yes Gerry, a little time after the plan is published. It's a wooden head set-up but I'd defer to Rich' on the best way of making the head and whether any other types will work such as the boat coupling method perhaps.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 17/01/2013 12:51:24

Thank you for the support gents,

I have not seen the finished magazine as yet but I do hope to get down WH Smiths over the weekend and purchase a copy.

Autogyros are not the easiest thing in the world to try and promote in a fixed wing orientated magazine you know! us as modellers can be very narrow visioned (I am a prime example), I hope it just make people think 'now that is something I  would like to have a go at trying'.

If just a handful decide to have a go then it will have all been worth the  time and effort.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 17/01/2013 16:45:00

Edited By Richard Harris on 17/01/2013 16:45:45

That is correct 'Not Deaf Just Thinking' , if you'd have told me 10 years ago I was playing with something other than aeroplanes I would have laughed in your face!

Just noticed 'another mag' will also be doing a bit on the same subject soon ! any ideas who has written it? its a funny old worldsmile o, almost makes you think they are copying?

Rich

Yes very addictive, since 1995 I have tried to get my brain around autogyros, what does and what does not work.

Its only since the internet can I finally get the help and answers needed.

It would be good to see regular articles the others get, like control line, or gliding, or electric conversion, now perhaps autogyros too.

I do like a good read, so will try to get a RCM&E before they are all sold!

Regards

Andy

I can certainly confirm the highly addictive nature these things cause , but when the "penny drops" it's all to easy ,so the temptation is to go on to a more demanding project , just like you would with fixed wing. As Andy suggests taking time to understand what makes a model work well ,and what does not , will help a great deal, as will sticking to the plan .... these things often don't like uninformed digressions frown.

Tom.

In 1969 I went to work for MLAviation at White Waltham. Some of the old timers there could remember the company building the flying Jeep and the Rotachute. these were towed autogyros,the flying jeep being intended to be aerotowed until a drop zone then released to 'Glide down' the rotachute being intended to be towed behind ships as an airborne sub spotter. I dont think either was a great sucess. I wonder if scale models would be possible?

White Waltham airfield was also the location of Fairy Aviation and was where th Rotodyne was built a few ex-Fairy people worked at MLA and some parts of the rotor test rig were still visible across the airfield.

Edited By Mowerman on 18/01/2013 18:55:25

Tom,

This has always been a concern of mine that people will be put off with making blades, so I have been developing a built up blade. My thinking is everyone can make a wing right? why not adapt this and make blades just as the full size ones are constructed?

Simple!

I will have to bend David's arm of course but I am sure it is well within his powers to make available to the masses a free to down load plan of the new 2nd generation built up blade.

The same will go for a bespoke plywood laminated rotor spindle, this again has been on a model for the last 6months and has performed faultlessly to date. We should be able to train a monkey to make one it is that easy to build!

All in due course.

Rich

CS,

Yes of course!! the photo in the mag of Rich Elliot's example is indeed 4 stroke powered, he has an old OS 40 in his and it is very well matched. But he has always stated perhaps a 48 Surpass would give it that little extra.

Maybe a British Airways example?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 19/01/2013 18:32:56

Posted by Richard Harris on 19/01/2013 18:21:24:

Tom,

This has always been a concern of mine that people will be put off with making blades, so I have been developing a built up blade. My thinking is everyone can make a wing right? why not adapt this and make blades just as the full size ones are constructed?

-------------------------------------------------------

Rich.

I think the uniformity that will be achieved with a built up blade will help a lot, and as you say it will also be familiar ground for traditional builders, this approach will undoubtedly be a big factor in terms of convincing more to have a go, and be economical on material cost. If ? shims are used then a component supplied with the pack will eliminate any chance of incorrect blade rigging.

All you need to do then is supply a gismo,or Autogyro policeman lol to ensure no attempt to fly is made before the rotors are up to speed , or of course plans for a pre rotator . wink 2 .

Everything seems set fair ,for possibly the most viable attempt yet to popularise Autogyros that are a step on from primary designs ,well done Rich thumbs up.

Tom.