BAE Hawk for 20 quid !!

Tim Mackey

Advert

Timbo    Are you sitting comfortably?    Have just ordered the Hawk ! Please find me all the other bits I'll need ,plus spares (I daresay )for similar prices  ie 60 % off .I am wondering just what to get  from where .Hopefully all will fall into place eventually .Will spend tomorrow doing more research  Actually I feel like a kid just before Xmas eve

Not so Grumpy Myron( & 'er indoors just said she'll buy the EDF )Think I need some nitro

Thanks Shaun.

Now, Myron, after I  was resuscitated by my 'er indoors..... I should warn you to be careful about which fan and motor and battery you use. I am sure we will talk you through it, but do NOT rush off and buy any old cheap rubbish as even thought the model was dirt cheap, you MUST get the powertrain right if you are to stand any chance of it flying half decent. Be prepared to spend a LOT more for the right gear and then maybe, just maybe you will see what leccy flight can do. Get it wrong, and you will be back to your old grumpy petrol head barnstormer dinosaur ways.

I seriously suggest you start a new thread over in leccy flight ( if you can bring yourself to post in that section)

and hopefully a few of us will chip in with some help. Scott at this placeis a good guy for exactly this sort of installation. 

Aw c'mon guys leave Mr Grumpy alone! I've had my first venture into 'lecktrik flight too! Haven't flown it yet though; too windy up here in the frozen north! At present I'm still facinated just listening to that small induction motor running! I'm going to borrow a 'scope from work tomorrow just to look at the waveform coming out of the ESC

better make that an oscilloscope Doug not a microscope or telescope

Incidentally, I fear I must withdraw my remark about this being a bargain / moneysaver. From what I have gathered since, it requires a pretty huge investment in powertrain stuff to get it to fly half decent...and therefore , although it might be fine for someone who has plenty of experience and electric gear already...for a newbie FORGET IT! 

Timbo     Guess what  ?   My Hawk arrived a few minutes ago Pheww ! it's lovely & am continuing my research for bits at a reasonable price.(my eyes are nearly square now) .Yes its not going to be cheap so 'er indoors has to go on a drastic diet . I'm a lot more au fait with what it is i've taken on but am determined for it to be a success whatever it takes .So far (using uk prices as a guide ) I'm already up to about £170  without Lipos & not including the Hawk !  Have given serious thought to getting Lithium Ion pack -Apparently they're a lot safer ( and expensive )or is that just more blurb from the retailers? & if I did would I need such an expensive ESC ? Bearing in mind that I intend to get this project off the ground And use the remains of it at some stage in the future to build whatever I can't afford next ,would you guys recommend  I continue with this philosophy or try & do it "on the cheap "

eg    Stick a .10 IC up front even ( £30)   PS  .er indoors's cat loves the big box so thats made two of us very happy

Not so Grumpy Myron   .Dont think David wants me joining the'lectric forum so if noone minds I'd rather take comments/insults/advice/criticism /disdain/tips etc. here from the smelly brigade and the lekky's

Timbo

That was quick - so I should be looking at  a 5/6 cell set up ie 2x 3S packs in parallel or 5/6 in series ??.The  more (value for money) & adaptable option appears to be 2x 3S.

Yes thanks  Have read & inwardly digested all the info from all sorts off offshoots of your leads. I normally cut up plastic cards to make Plectra for my guitars Now I'm going to have to use it properly (& its all your fault !! )

For a 6s setup you will need to connect 2x 3s packs in SERIES.

The bit that bothers me about this model is all the stories of poor fans and motors -although I believe they may now come with no supplied fan. In this case you need to ascertain the fan size required...probably 70 - 80 mm diameter - I really dont know the model, sorry. Then calculate the likely AUW and aim to get a motor and battery combo which will provide a minimum of 150 watts per pound. lets say your model will come out at AUW 4lb. You need 600watts.

If you tried to get 600watts from a 3s LiPo you would need huge currents of around 60A, and the battery would be working overtime, and last about 2 minutes if your lucky. So.... use more cells.

5s for instance will be around 18V under load. 600 watts at 18v needs only 33A - much better

However the rub is....5s pack will cost more and weigh more, so you may need to recalculate your AUW...which means your power requirements might increase, wjhich means....well u get the picture !

So you need an efficient fan, coupled to a high revving motor that will handle 600watts.

I really think you need to start a thread over in leccy flight, and let some of the other guys help out too.

As I said -Scott at electric flight cumbria ( scott cuppello on here ) is wel used to these sort of conversions. 

• 2 weeks later...
Far too much cost and grief !!! The only sensible suggestion on here is to stick an ic 30 something or similar on the front , continue to enjoy what started out as a cheap fun model - and keep it cheap and functional . Don't make the mistake of wandering into making it a very expensive intellectually taxing ( for most of us non electricians ) exercise in producing yet another "just better than marginal " electric toy that needs 4 times as long to recharge than you get to fly ! That is when there is no more than just a hint of a breeze.

Well done Andrew, thats just the sort of biased ignorant response thats so helpful in getting people to try electric flight - mark my words...it WILL be the saviour of this hobby - eventually. The number of flying sites which have either imposed restrictions, or lost the facility completely due to noise is increasing....and one day it might be yours.

"Just better than marginal" - hah!  - you really need to check what is happening in this arena Andrew

Don't worry Timbo .I read the above & suitably ignored now I know pretty well that I have the expertise to build a Hawk with the correct power to weight ratio usng the gear I have invested in.Can't wait to put flying shots on the thread once all the necessary rigmarole of getting it right first time is completed

I only listen to the voices of experience NOT predudice.( & you as well of course   )

Andrew,

Come along and see my Banchee (E) against a club members Banchee (G) Mine's off the ground and 50 ft up before his is airborne .. mine will match his in everything but duration, but 7 mins is my average flight, due to my maturity  Pricewise, seeing as mine boasts a 4 cell Lipo/Hyperion power set and his has an ASP 60, there's not much difference .. "Marginal"  no way