Would this make a good model?

Martian

Advert

I don't no why but if you swept that wing forward, put the winglets on upside down then its not far away from a 'Clean Sweep Twin' how about that for an idea then Tim?

Seriously it would make a very smart model, nothing too extreme, perhaps increase the tail surfaces areas a little to improve stability but its very do-able. (is that a word?)

Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 25/01/2013 21:45:31

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 25/01/2013 21:45:04:

......how about that for an idea then Tim?

That skinny nose would have to house the retracting noseleg AND the flight battery.

The rear fuselage is even skinnier.

High aspect-ratio wing would need some clever (carbon?) spars to avoid undue flexing.

Two ways to go; either treat it as a powered glider, or go the opposite route and build it for speed!

It reminded me in some strange way to a Rutan Quickie ,it does look really quite different to any thing else ,front profile is very pretty so to is side profile ,the winglets make a world of difference to it's overall looks as does the downward tips on the tailplane. Original is from an Austrian manufacturer and from composite materials first flew in 2004 I think, speed is around 200mph but has been purchased as an unmanned survelliance aircraft so is able to loiter. I'm wonderin g if a model could be made in a similar way with glass fibre with electric motor at around 60" span, real plane span is 44ft wing area 175ft2 length 28ft powered by 2 Austro turbo diesels . So is it a real model prospect I'd love to have a go

Well just when you think you have found something unique, this aircraft has been made into a model by a Chinese manufactor called FlyFly..found an Australian build blog for a fibreglass 65inch plane auw supposed to be 3.2kg but he built it to 4.1kg .it seems fibreglass is not thhe way to go it would be to heavy and to fast..Ah well at least it's keeping me busy thinking

I've decided a model of this aircraft is do-able.looking at construction options and aerofoil sections

full size wings use wortmann fx63-137 aerofoil section will check that out.likely to be balso liteply and carbon rods.canopy area detatchable for access to radio and batts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i was busy drawing plans when I decided to make use of a large amount of polystyrene blocks and panels that came as packaging material , I'm in the process of glueing up sections and carving out what will be the same size of model I'm drawing it will have a 40" approx fuselage 80" wingspan and a 25% tailplane the full size aircraft has 5 deg dihedral. I'm hoping this will test out the viability of a model ...will post pics when made enough progress..btw has anyone else made a model from polystyrene ?

Martian