HobbyKing-Large Box ?

I've just been ordering a glider on the UK/HK site with some other bits and bobs, and I found that as you get to the "pay" screen the total price has just shot up because it's been designated as a "large box" order.(extra £8)

I thought it maybe because of the added items so I deleted the order and re-ordered just the "glider" and again an extra charge appears for the "large box"

Thinking it maybe the size of the plane I then set up an order for a foam micro Warbird, once again an extra charge for the "large box".

I realise that post&packing have to be charged but on orders from HK in China I've never seen the "large box" applied before.

Any one else noticed this "large box" added to their orders?

Regards

PeD

Advert

Forget the box, stick the prop in an envelope, this commercial world has completely lost it`s marbles (and quite a lot of sales too i`m sure) internet buying is so easy but this is how you pay for your bargain priced goods, give with one hand and take with the other! then end up handing over top whack price.

No....it isn't.....any new kit we sell is taken to the main warehouse in Hong Kong where one of the supervisors packs the kit to a standard good enough for International shipping, add's dummy labels, etc, then weighs it......that weight and the box dimensions are given to the Product Team who input this data for the kit before it goes on sale......how do I know this? Because I have done it dozens and dozens of times myself......NOTHING is artificially added.

PeD - I've only bought 2 ARTF's from HK, a Rainbow from the German warehouse and a Vampire from the UK warehouse. Carriage charges were $18.54 (about £12) and $11.91 (about £8) respectively. No charge for extra box even though each came in a second box as well as the original kit box.

The only time I've had an extra box on the invoice was when buying 750mm lengths of carbon tube from the Hong Kong warehouse, the "charge" for which was $0.00.

If they are charging you for the box then you appear to be paying twice for carriage, once for the weight and once for the volume?

Graeme

Posted by Scott Cuppello - HobbyKing on 08/02/2013 09:11:10:

"No....it isn't.....any new kit we sell is taken to the main warehouse in Hong Kong where one of the supervisors packs the kit to a standard good enough for International shipping, add's dummy labels, etc, then weighs it......that weight and the box dimensions are given to the Product Team who input this data for the kit before it goes on sale......how do I know this? Because I have done it dozens and dozens of times myself......NOTHING is artificially added."

Well Mr Cuppello

I've just done the exercise in purchasing a phoenix 2000 glider again.

Price of glider £55.98.

Price before adding Postage(£7) = £63.72 a non-"artificial" increase because a "large box" at a cost of £7.74 has been added.

Now from Pete B's link we see a box costing $0.01 I can't believe the exchange rate to be this good/bad $0.01 = £7.74.

What's wrong these days with some "brown" wrapping paper and sticky tape?

As GlynR pointed out it's most probably extra postage cost re-size.

However BEB on his purchase of the same item seems to have avoided

the "large box" cost.

From this can we start to conjecture that perhaps HobbyKing has become part of Ryanair, in that, the price offered may not be quite what it seems at the checkout.

Regards

PeD

Edited By PeD on 08/02/2013 18:56:42

There is a point there......somewhere......but I don't get it, you blaming us for wrapping it too well now? So are we having a "they are wrapping it up too well" thread or a "it turned up damaged" thread?

Now, I can't speak for the girls that are packing this stuff in the UK but I think it's safe to assume that a global packing conspiracy which would have to involve the warehouse packing staff from the floor to management is a tad far feteched........even on here.

I have parcels sent to me sometimes by the UK Warehouse......including once a glider that had protective material all the way round it then was put into a larger box and it got here safe and sound.....that will do for me, no hassle with broken parts, etc.........so if we charged you a small amount for the added security of this box ...........which you AGREED to when you purchased the model, after all, you could just hit the delete button at any stage........you would complain? If so, Well....I can't help you with that.......you see, we have responsibility to send out the model as securely wrapped as possible and as much as anything, damaged goods is in nobodys interest and is hardly the basis of commercial success for an e-commerce company.

So your self admitted conjecture is just that....easily explained and frankly with a bit of thought applied.....shouldn't have needed explaining.

Why did my Mustang arrive with a damaged canopy and minor crush damage ?

If the kits are packed in the box by a team in Honkong,is the damage due to possibly customs taking bits outand not putting them back properly?

eg the main U/C leg being packed inside the canopy on my Mustang causing creasing and scuff damage.

Have a look at my unboxing video on to see what I mean

At last the "Eureka" moment. After many hours of 2 way telephonics was indulged in(actually 2 mins),calculators calculated, comptometers comptomted, the proverbial "penny" finally dropped.

Perhaps it was the way the "thread" question was worded, that no one else (nor HK rep) noticed. Much grovelling may have to ensue.

The Explanation

In the begining (not that begining) an item from HK (in this case a glider) is selected and along with other items is placed in the "cart". Now if you've been adding up the cost of these items as you go ie:$100/£100 total, as you switch to the next stage to select method of "postage" the actual price of the items has suddenly increased by appx £7 and the "large box" required appears.

Now to the uninitiated ie: "me" it would appear that this extra £7 is a charge for the "box", in fact it's the "postage" charge automatically added in to the original cart price.

Now in my defence (apart from age and being an OAP with a non understanding wife) I've never seen this arragement done before. It leads you too believe that on continuing on to the next screen having selected a payment option, a further "postage" costs will have been added.

Apologiese to all concerned for my misunderstanding of the purchasing system.

With regard to an outer box being added. I would have thought that in this day of our "Globals" freezing at any moment, the original packaging should be made adequate without having to "beef or horsemeat" it up, thus saving yet more waste on unwanted packaging.

PeD

PS. If after this debacle someone has any views on the Phoenix 2000 apart from an HK rep. much appreciated.

Posted by Kelly on 10/02/2013 15:15:45:

Why did my Mustang arrive with a damaged canopy and minor crush damage ?

If the kits are packed in the box by a team in Honkong,is the damage due to possibly customs taking bits outand not putting them back properly?

eg the main U/C leg being packed inside the canopy on my Mustang causing creasing and scuff damage.

Have a look at my unboxing video on to see what I mean

It's not good to see this but put bluntly.....the Post Office, not Hobbyking damaged the parcel?! Did you take this up with CS?

Posted by PeD on 10/02/2013 21:37:14:

At last the "Eureka" moment. After many hours of 2 way telephonics was indulged in(actually 2 mins),calculators calculated, comptometers comptomted, the proverbial "penny" finally dropped.

Perhaps it was the way the "thread" question was worded, that no one else (nor HK rep) noticed. Much grovelling may have to ensue.

The Explanation

In the begining (not that begining) an item from HK (in this case a glider) is selected and along with other items is placed in the "cart". Now if you've been adding up the cost of these items as you go ie:$100/£100 total, as you switch to the next stage to select method of "postage" the actual price of the items has suddenly increased by appx £7 and the "large box" required appears.

Now to the uninitiated ie: "me" it would appear that this extra £7 is a charge for the "box", in fact it's the "postage" charge automatically added in to the original cart price.

Now in my defence (apart from age and being an OAP with a non understanding wife) I've never seen this arragement done before. It leads you too believe that on continuing on to the next screen having selected a payment option, a further "postage" costs will have been added.

Apologiese to all concerned for my misunderstanding of the purchasing system.

With regard to an outer box being added. I would have thought that in this day of our "Globals" freezing at any moment, the original packaging should be made adequate without having to "beef or horsemeat" it up, thus saving yet more waste on unwanted packaging.

PeD

PS. If after this debacle someone has any views on the Phoenix 2000 apart from an HK rep. much appreciated.

This is one of some many threads on this forum with a similar outcome.......I have to question the wisdom and more the point desire to start a negative thread before even starting to try and understand or resolve a problem......aplology accepted.....once again.

Hi Scott

First I am not a Hobbyking Knocker, I say as I find.

Good to know it is the post office(again).

No I have not purely on the basis I should not have to.

Several models purchased in the UK by mail from LMS all arrived in pristine condition via Parcelforce, seems like the customs may be the culprit

In future I will not order any models from Hobbyking,unless I decide it is worth the petrol to pick it up from the UK warehouse and only after a visual inspection of the model .

Need to save up some pennies firstlaugh

Kelvin