hello from Cheshire

arran byrom

Advert

Hi Arran and welcome on board!

You say you are from Cheshire - whereabouts? I live on the Wirral so not that far away! Have you had a look at clubs yet? There are loads dotted around and it really is the easiest, safest and cheapest way to learn to fly models.

What type of models are you interested in - have you bought one yet or are you looking for advice?

BEB

Hi Arran,

its a pretty friendly bunch on here.

I think forum regular Ian Jones is in your neck of the woods so he could advise on clubs. There are few others as well. Ian tends to be a bit of a "night bird" and be later - so may well be along to say hello.

Be careful of Webbies - great shop, great guys, but I've never managed yet to get out of there yet without spending more than I meant too! Mrs BEB says that's my fault - but I don't think so. I think they inject something into the air in there that makes you loose all inhibitions where your wallet is concerned!

BEB

. I think they inject something into the air in there that makes you loose all inhibitions where your wallet is concerned!

BEB

You all need to try Ashford Model Supply's, 1 stick of Balsa and thats another 50 quid gone, good welcome though.

Did get a lovely mostly built CG Cub on one of my 1 stick trips and the bill was still only 50 quid, never told Andrea what I spent on the Balsa though all she saw was the cub and it's kit box of Balsa Wood?

Must say Kens Balsa prices are very good, just adds up very soon with oh and have you got...

David

G'day from me too, Arran.

You will like this site, definately friendly, plenty of good builders and builds, lots of good advice and a few good threads other than just the modelling.

as you will see the first bit of good advice will always be- find a club if you can, or someone that can safely guide you, if not, don't be scared off as plenty of us on here had to learn the hard way.

bbc.

Hi Arran, welcome to the forum, you are certainly in the right place for good friendly advice. You will find this forum is well moderated and members respect each other unlike some other forums I have been on. I do echo what others have said, joining a club is the way to go, you will also need insurance most clubs are members of the BMFA so they will advice you.

I hope you will enjoy you new found hobby as I am sure you will.

Posted by Greybeard on 10/02/2013 07:56:12:

Welcome Arran, I learn't to fly on a trainer made from cardboard, a Stanley Craftsman I think it was called; a while ago now though. As others have said teaching yourself can be expensive so finding a club is recommended by me too.

Gawd,,,the Stanley Craftsman, I had forgotten all about those!

Welcome Arran.face 1

Evening Arran.

I see that Ian Jones has not yet found this thread but I have!!

Ian lives over towards Northwich and I'm over near Glossop so both not too far away from you.

I'm not clued up on clubs in your area but I'm sure a quick search on the BMFA website will tell you where they are!

Have you thought about Slope Flying? Saves you some money as you don't need engines or motors!!

Ian and myself occasionally get down to near you and go slope flying at Bosley Cloud!

Could be worth a small investment in a combat slope model... They are designed to be beaten and bashed and can be flown straight into the ground without risk of damage so they are ideal models!

I must warn you though.... Sope flying is VERY addictive!

Something like an SAS Wildthing 46" would be ideal. (They sometimes come up cheapish on eBay)

Most of all though, enjoy your hobby!

Safe landings.

Dave

Edited By David Gilder on 10/02/2013 21:13:10

Edited By David Gilder on 10/02/2013 21:13:23