If you were to produce a kit for the present market ,what model would it be ?

Posted by ken anderson. on 25/02/2013 18:37:31:

ye olde MFA.... yamamoto........brings back a few memories.......when you pranged it -you could build a complete new fuz from 4 sheets of balsa .....circa late 80's....

ken anderson....ne...1 ...... late 80's dept...

ive still got one of these in my loft, still in one piece and flyable if it had an engine..lol

Advert

Thanks Plummet. That's a very pretty plane. The illustrious Alex Henshaw had one, but lost it when he had to bale out because of an engine fire. Later of course he moved on to the famous Mew Gull G-AEXF. There used to be an Arrow Active in the Aeromodeller Plans Service back inmthe 50s, I can't remember the size but it's probably on the small size. Perhaps it's still available.

Hi Myron.

I can see how you are thinking, but is this a wish list, or are we looking for a commercially viable product which will appeal, but also make profit ?

In either case it would have to be electric powered, possibly with the provision for ic. I know this could upset a few people, but the fact is that potential kit builders / buyers will be moving on from artf models. More seasoned ic modellers build from plans these days.

Single engine I think. Again based on the fact that it is part of a learning curve for most people.

Scale, semi-scale, or sport model ? Well if we consider that someone building the kit has flying experience (artf) then I would say they would want to build something that has visual appeal rather than cutting edge flying characteristics. As a potential first build it would need to be stable and a straight forward build. Thus giving confidence to move onto a more involved model. So I would opt for a semi-scale model. Something which can be detailed by the builder to resemble a known aircraft, but with a profile / wing area which gives the most stable performance.

All this brings us back to the Flair range of model kits !

The kits I would like to make though would be the DH4, the MB5 and the Robin Dr400. All of which have appeal, but haven't been done to death I think !

kevinb entrepreneurs unlimited inc

P.S. My next project is a diy CNC machine.

Another kit that, I think, sadly went out of production is the Scorpio Basic. The original was produced by the Italian firm, the fuselage came as a ready built ply box which had to be finished with balsa parts. The wings were very high quality veneered foam with an anti stall feature. All the fixtures, were quality, even the nuts and bolts were bright plated.

My first one was bought in about 1985 and was my first low winger, flew very well, was stable when you needed it to be and very easy to land. I think I sold on.

Much later, production went to a Czech. firm, now salled the Scorpio Basic 200 and it was produced as a full kit, all built up, including the wings. I bought one of the last ones from SMC, built it and I still have it. Firstly it had a Irvine 40 in it, then an OS. 52 Surpass (pictured) then I electrified it, as it is lighter than the original it flies even better. I think some of the members might remember them. Very underrated.thumbs up

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 26/02/2013 08:21:35

Percy,

I chose the Gangster 52 because so many have flown well and many survived for many years of flying. Actually have never owned one but wish I had. The Gangster had ailerons right out to the tip and all the ones I saw flew well without flutter. They all tapered the ailerons at the tip. I would suppose flutter on yours was due to some one off problem?

Laser cut parts sets are often available but they are expensive even as dear as kits but they dont contain fittings, plan, balsa etc which makes them very dear. What I would like to see is plans plus laser cut wing ribs at a reasonable price. Something like the plan packs from DB Sport & Scale where you can buy a set of wing ribs for 8 to 10 pounds and a plan for another 10 or so. Plus cabane strut & U/C if you want them.

Chris Bacon. That's a demonstration of just how a basic and well proven lay-out can be made attractive, very nice. It's a lot like a Carl Goldberg Skylark, you can't go wrong with something like that.

It's interesting as well that Mick Reeves decided to re-introduce the Gangster, although I think that it's the bigger version, not the 52 and he says that it's lighter. Another safe bet.

Colin, Scorpio also produced the Fiesta, which was slightly bigger, still very good looking, Super Soft Fly which was a motor glider, similar in shape to the Basic, with a choice of low or mid wing position, but with the daft feature of aileron servos in the front wing root connected to the bell cranks by snakes running just inside the leading edge. (Had one of those and never dinged it thank goodness.)

There was also a Scorpio Taurus, which was 2250 mm span for 0.60 plus size motors cc. All good looking models.

And there was the Safari and Savana, quite ordinary (dull) looking trainers and a canard that I cannot remember the name of, but which I would have liked to have tried.............Their sailplanes were also very elegant.

I have just noticed that SLEC have brought out some new kits....

Cornell 70 inch, Monocoupe, several Chipmunks in addition to electric versions of their Funfly and Limbo Dancer. But most of their new kits are Aache Aviation models & in the 200 pound plus price range for larger engines.

No doubt about the MB5, it's mostly straight lines and with the later larger tail it's got all of the ingredients. It's been done quite often and is a proven flyer, but I'm not aware if anybody has kitted it. A slight variation would be the MB3, it's aerodynamically much the same as the MB5 (same wing) and I've never seen it done. I'm not sure that people go for relatively obscure types in sufficient numbers to make a kit commercially viable though. The Supermarine Spiteful and Seafang are similarly attractive but not familiar to most people. I'm only aware of one commercially available plan. Straightforward wing design and generous tail surfaces, definitely excellent candidates.

Way back in 1985 there was a Martin Baker MB5 kitted by Flywel Models of Barnstaple. Not heard of them since 1980's. Spec was .60 engine 62 in span, semi symmetrical foam wing 794 sq ins, length 60, weight 7.5 to 9 pounds. Flaps & retracts can be fitted The review in RCMW Jan85 said it flew really well.

Should be easy enough to design one if you have designed anything similar.

kc, that rings a bell. It wouldn't be hard to get wings, tailplane and fin made up from foam, they're all straight edged. Fuselage wouldn't be difficult either, it's all straight lines as well, except for the belly air intake.

I've got a small electric motor contra-prop set up that would fly something about 40", I was thinking of a Fairey Gannet as a one piece hand launcher to chuck in the back of the car. Maybe I should do an MB5!

If I was to buy one of these kits:

1. Scale.

2. British subject.

3. All wood built up, no foam.

4. Modest size, no more than about 70" or smaller.

5. Biplane much more attractive.

6. Follow scale construction method, usually means plug in wings, how about an updated VeronTomtit, or nearly anything from the Shuttleworth collection.

Charles