bad wheels or bad flying?

on this twin got springy wheel arms that are rubbish on thick grass noses over easy someone said keep the tail down will help ? or i change for fixed metal like on a cap but this would be a lot of work in the wing any ideas please

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/03/2013 21:14:05

Advert

Re the "keep the tail down" coomment. Are you taxying with full up elevator? The problem might be that with it being a twin there isn't much prop wash over the elevator.

One thing you can try is to have a crazy big throw elevator in for taxying and take off that you switch out just after lift off. Holding this full up keeps the tail down. But obviously you need to ease out of it as the model builds speed towards take up or you become airborne in a rather dramatic way! I used to have this set up on a Chipmunk and it was the only way I could stop it from tipping up!

BEB

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you are nearly there. With the 2 motors you have a lot of weight out front. Try it but I would be inclined to go nearly to the front of the ply plates you have them mounted on.

Second thoughts, to save a lot of work, fit a small wedge shaped piece of ply under the dural to tip the wheels forward, thin bit to the front of course.

Good luck

Edited By Panther on 09/04/2013 14:07:08

hopefully flying tomorrow

i was looking at it today and was going to rip it all off and mount the plates under the exhaust

but then said sod it try it first as it is a lot better than before

ie holding the tail up higher before engines would tip it over

panther like your idea tip wheel forward many thanks

the first lot ran fine had oil on them i oiled all axels for the winter

the legs would spring back with the lightest of touch and nose plane over

our grass had been cut for first time this year and the mower left a lot of grass cutting and the wheels when just not go over it and just spring under

i agree Roger 2 on that

the problem i was getting with the old wheels was the legs had a spring / coil near the bottom that easy bent over on the smallest of hump on the ground the airfield i fly at had its first grass cut of the year and the mower left a lot of cut grass behind and each time it got to a bit it one leg would bend under and plane nose over

mite of been the spring leg is very old and weak ?

any way gone now

its a great plane to fly and sounds great as its two different make of engines and two sounds