New aerobatic video tutorial series!

Advert

Ok so I knew all that but it was entertaining and well worth watching and I am looking forward to the next one. Full marks Shahid! It fits the KISS principles nicely.

Cheers Shahid - a good start to my Sunday morning - keep it up.

Terry

Ps - Why did the idea of Mel Smith keep popping into my head? Anyone else get that too?

Edited By Terry Walters on 24/03/2013 07:41:07

Cheers all! The kind words make it worthwhile.

I'll keep this thread up to date with the videos.

fly boy3 - If you create a YouTube account then you can subscribe to my channel and save the videos with your account. Alternatively, you could "bookmark" each page instead. That is to save the page's address for later viewing.

Oh I hate to be picky...

Shahid... On your last diagram you showed te arrows on the top and bottom of the wing. The arrows on the top were pointing upwards, which either meant that

1. The air was pulling upwards on the wing - which is wrong. It is still pushing down on the wing. The point is that it is pushing downwards on the wing less strongly than the air below the wing is pressing upwards on it. Thus the result adds up to an upwards force.

OR

2. The arrows show the force with which the upper surface of the wing is having to push against the pressure of the air. This is of course correct - action and reaction being opposite and all that. However this meands that the upper and lower arrows are indicating different things, which was not the meaning I understood.

I think that the upper arrows should be pointing downwards.

Plummet

ps. (picky picky picky)

pps.  Very good work otherwise mate.

Edited By Plummet on 25/03/2013 17:25:21

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/03/2013 18:25:21

Posted by Plummet on 25/03/2013 17:24:27:

Oh I hate to be picky...

Shahid... On your last diagram you showed te arrows on the top and bottom of the wing. The arrows on the top were pointing upwards, which either meant that

I was wondering when someone was going to notice! Yep that was an error on my part. Well spotted that man

Next video up:

Is that nice Mr Newton due to get a mention - I thought you might introduce him in lesson 1?

In my empirical way, I'm fairly convinced that he and Signor Bernoulli share the credit for keeping Jumbos, shockfliers and lawnmowers alike in the air...

Nice presentation style - keeps it interesting even for those who think they may have a basic grasp of the subject so far.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/03/2013 00:15:19

All in due course. You probably already know that there are 3 explanations for lift. Pressure (Bernoulli), reaction/Third Law (Newton) and circulation (Kutta–Joukowski).

A pressure based explanation of lift has it's limitations, think a symmetrical airfoil then think why would the air speed up more over the top surface if the path is similar? You can try and apply mass flow principles but again it doesn't really intuitively hold due to the symmetric shape.

Easier then to think of momentum

Newton will crop up no doubt!

What I'm aiming to achieve with these videos is give people just enough to understand the general ideas, without going into too much detail. There's already plenty of text for those who want to know the real ins and outs. Perhaps I'll touch on them later (as I love teaching/passing on knowledge). But for now the ideas, theory and concepts put across are there to build a foundation of knowledge.

This'll all become more apparent in the next few installments, as we look at the CoG with regards to stability and the layout of forces on an aircraft. I'll then take great pleasure in showing how this means the incidences of the wing/tail must be laid out a certain way. And how many manufacturers even today still mess it up, even on airframes costing thousands of pounds.

Remarkable ignorance on the part of manufacturers doncha think? Now maybe my "rant" in the last BMFA News make's a little more sense devil

I'd really like to clear up a bunch of myths and misconceptions about aircraft and how they operate. It's always stuck me as ridiculous that the facts are out there, in black and white. Yet debates rage on about settled matters?!

I suppose these videos are my way of thanking you all for your contributions to my student loan, without which I wouldn't have the know-how to talk about any of this!

Edited By Shahid Banglawala on 26/03/2013 02:26:23

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/03/2013 09:32:15