Deagostini Spitfire

A couple of weeks ago, I got fed up of looking at a big box of Deagostini Spitfire magazines and decided to start reading and building and here is the result

It was fun to build, but Deagostini dont really have a clue when it comes to model planes! Lots of the kit had to be altered, or new parts fabricated as the supplied parts were badly fitting, or they were made from poor quality materials.

The original Deagostini Leo engine was changed for an OS unit, and the truly dreadful Code 4 radio gear was changed for a more reliable Futaba set up.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/03/2013 18:39:23

With those mains raked back, should make attempted take-offs interesting - or none existant.

Don't think there has ever been a Deagostini Spit get to the flying stage, apart from the promotional video made for it.

Wonder how many 'wannabe' rc modelers tried (and failed) to get one of these in the air? looks ok when it's finished. Not scale, but acceptable sport scale.

Bill, I noticed that you stuck with the original Knex/Lego wheels! I changed mine for some proper Robart scale rubber.. Looks 100 times better for it.

Thought about retracts on mine, but I have spent way too much on models over the last few weeks! (according to my mrs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQjYJeIjGm8

. It probably is the only one ever to fly laugh.. Well until finer weather comes along and I can give mine a go!

Edited By Den Parky on 24/03/2013 18:30:26

Depends Chris whether you bought it by subscription or otherwise as to how much it cost, I didnt think £85 was out of the question and there are a lot of reviews around confirming that they fly very well even an electric conversion on u tube, i would not attempt to fly the one photographed with those wheels, 3" to 3 1/2" would be much more sensible. Give us a shout when you`ve maidened it Den and let me know your thoughts.smile

• 9 years later...

Hi Bill Brown, can you tell me if this spitfire has fixed landing gear, and from which manufacturer it comes. I have taken over a similar aircraft from someone, but I do not have a building description of Deagostini spitfire. thanks in advance. Fred Damen, Netherlands.

20230314_134632[1].jpg

Flyball, could you add another photo of the underside of your Spitfire.  It looks very similar to one from Sportsman Aviation that I had years ago but sold on.  It flew very well but had non scale undercarriage as the undercarriage retracted inwards rather than out.  It gave it a much wider track which was good.  It also sported a vivid blue colour on the underside so a photo would help.