Cmpro Discus

I have recently ordered a Cmpro discus through my local model shop after seeing one fly and being most impressed.

The new model arrived and upon closer inspection turned it transpired that the fin was out of line with the wings.  With this being a T tail type this meant the tail would also be out of line.  Not good.

The model shop immediately exchanged this for another kit.  Superb service.

This kit suffered from the same problem.  The distributers sent the model shop two replacement kits.  These heve exactly the same problem. 

I telephoned the distributor (J Perkins) who said they would sort through their stock to try to find a straight fuselage and forward it to my model shop.   They admitted that the fuselages should not have the defect but refused to admit that it was a problem despite the fact that all 4 kits sent to one shop were twisted.

The latest from the shop is that Perkins think they MAY have found a fus that is straight, and will send it out but will not take it back if it turns out to be wrong.

Has anyone else had problems with these models?

Does Perkins' attitude to their retailer and customer cause anyone else concern?  This is not simply a consumer issue.  We are into safety matters here. 

• 1 month later...
hi piers we have a couple in our club/ both fuzs are true and the build pretty good and with the competitive price  cheap as chips/ the first time we flew them they were very sluggish needed a good blow not impressed  /maybe our site not one of  the best /but took them to fly off the sea(( wow ))what a differnt model flew great/ as for the probs you are having keep sending them back or ask for your money back  and go to a modelshop whos got them ask to open the box and check the fuzbefore you hand over your hard earned dosh good hunting iawnski

• 2 months later...

I was looking at getting one,but was conserned with the quality as it is selling on-line here for $99 thats about 48 quid. Kind of puts it in the "you get what you pay for" catagory.

I may have to phone to ask about return issues.

The pic's sure look good tho.

Ken 

Has anyone else noticed that the Discus is no longer on the CMP company/factory websight. Only the Ventus 2.6m and a 2m electric power one called the  KunLun. I e-mailed they asking if it is still avalible but have not recieved a reply yet.. I  think  if production has ended for it any NIB  for sale are going to get expensive  quickly.

Ken 

I just recieved my Reply from CMP. The Discus is infact no longer in production and orders for it are no longer being filled . Those that have one , enjoy as the Ventus ( 1/2 again the cost) is the only other  scale  glider available from them.  Of corse there is the DG-1000 as well from the other guy's.

Ken 

• 2 weeks later...

WOO HOO!!!!   I knew that if I was a good boy the "discus fairy" would visit. And she did!!!  Well ok not untill the FedEx truck gets here.

I won it on good old E-bay for $73.88 us or 37 quid !!!  and theres no duty as its already in Canada, a simple 1,800km away, thats all most next door.

Ken 

I shall look up that thread.  I was also thinking about making the standard wing tip and not installing the winglet's. Reading in the RC Groups.com forum that the Discus has a problem of the wing tips tucking under at hi speed,causing several crashes. My theory is that the winglet's only need to be out of true to the fuz by a few .001th of a degree to cause them to become "air scoops" forcing the tips down into an extreme washout angle that the elevator can not over come.

That and it will make mine differant than all the other Discus's out there. The joy's of marching to a differant drummer than anybody else.  That and I think it just looks better.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk210/wayupyonder/discus-12.jpg

Ken 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it arrived here today. Nice looking bird to say the least.  The box was missing the decal sheet and the assembly drawing's. Oh well,it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what the thousand little bit's are for.

I may give it a flight or two to decide if the wing tips get the mod to remove the winglet.

Ken 

• 2 years later...
I have just received a power pod for my Discus Mk2. It is beautifully made and comes with fixings. The void in the fairing beneath the ducted fan is designed for a the battery and an interlocking ply fixing thingy which attaches the pod at its rear to the fuselage but also acts a shelf for the battery end.

The motor recommended for the pod by the Sussex Model Centre is a  GW/EDF-64D from the Chinese GWS company. It clearly needs a 3 cell lipo @ 11.1 volts (also supplied by Sussex MC) But the battery will not fit in the void even without the plywood fixing thingy. The battery drawn in the Chinese diagram only instructions looks like a 3 cell lipo.

A table on the  the Ducted Fan box,  says the thrust from a 2 cell lipo @ 7.4 volts is 212g (7.48oz). Thrust from a 3 cell lipo is 212g (14.46oz) . 

With the mechanism for airbrakes and tow release already in the fuselage, there is no room for a 3 cell lipo in there.

Does any forum member have any experience of this power pod? Should I be using a 2 cell lipo and not the 3 cell supplied by SMC? I think it might be a tight fit but I am not sure that only 7.48 oz of thrust will be enough for take off. 

I want to do it this way because I don't yet have the confidence to throw such a beautiful glider off the cliff. 

Thank you Tim for this prompt response. The fuselage is already jammed with stuff for the undercarriage and airbrakes. But I think I have identified the problem. I have copied below a query I have sent to J P Perkins:

I have taken delivery of a new Power Pod from Sussex Model Centre. A 11.1v 3 cell lipo was recommended. The diagram instructions certainly show what appears to be a 3 cell lipo. But a 3 cell lipo 2180mAh battery is far too big to fit into the fairing cavity beneath the ducted fan. A 2 cell 1800mAh is also too big.

> >Both of these batteries are too big for the cavity even before fitting the interlocking part ply fixture for locating and securing the aft end of the pod housing to the fuselage. I estimate that the maximum depth battery that could fit on the shelf formed by the interlocking ply fixture is 11mm.

> >The problem seems to be that the specification has changed and my Power Pod appears to be made by a different manufacturer to the Power Pod illustrated in your  web catalogue. The most noticeable difference is the absence of cooling intakes and outtakes. But the critical difference is the height of the ducted fan housing from the fuselage, measured at the fore end (which dictates the size of the fairing cavity).

> >What battery do you recommend for this Power Pod?

> >

Edited By Kit Davidson on 05/12/2010 14:37:15

• 11 years later...