RCM&E May 2013 Feedback

Concorde Speedbird

Advert

Not one to pick holes in articles, however in BEB's "What Goes Up" he states that "when a model is flying straight and level; the lift exactly matches the weight and the thrust exactly matches the drag."

Now I hope its not just me flying in a different dimensionwink, but when my models are flying straight and level my thrust is greater than the drag! Surely if the thrust and drag were exactly matched the model would be stationary!!indecision

Other than that. A very good read!

Dave

I for one am sick of the amount of glider coverage, not only have we had to put up with the interminable Andy Ellison, we now have even more Gl***r coverage with that showoff Simon Cocker two of the worlds best glider guiders is far too much in my opinion winkcan we please desist!!

on a serious note i was a bit disapointed with the powerbox article, a little bit too simplistic for my likeing i would have liked a more in-depth look at what all of the slots and holes on these boxes do, and can i please have my issue back from whoever took it from the caravan please, i aint finished reading it yet !!!!!!

Hi Ian, bit of a problem with the RV-4 in that GP has decided to discontinue the kit. The dilemma, then, is do we run the extended flying report and create demand that can’t be satisfied, or do we quietly wait to see if anyone asks about it. I decided on the latter although I’ll happily supply anyone that’s interested with the details they need, particularly if they’re able to obtain a kit. As a point of interest I told Hobbico at Nuremberg that I thought it was a real pity to stop producing this model and gently suggested to senior marketing folk that they consider a future relaunch in a new (better) colour scheme. The idea certainly wasn’t dismissed, in fact it had already been considered, so you never know!

Kit / Ian: As for the SE5. Sincere apologies. Building business will be resumed when life catches up. Also, being human, I’m afraid there’s a bit of the build I’ve been avoiding and its been holding me back. Fortunately I’m almost over it now and will shortly be able to move on. I’m please you’ve asked.

re- " A flying start" by Martin Phillips. He mentions reinforcing badly joined surfaces originally using cyano at the factory .I don't think that alphatic glue is appropriate as recommended .Wood glues rely on penetration surely and the best resource would be either more superglue or epoxy since the original cyano although obviously insufficient, might have filled up the wood grain structure .IMHO

Theory is a wonderful thing, but is no substitute for a bit of experimentation.

I did try and do my research carefully before writing, and indeed I checked this too. My much battered Seagull trainer has had plenty of practical experience to show that using aliphatic glue in such circumstances does indeed work well.

You can try it yourself. Liverally coat the sides of two small pieces of plywood say 6cm by 2cm using cyano and leave each to dry. Then glue together using aliphatic resin leaving enough of each piece overhanging to be able to prize them apart later. You will need to leave them longer for the glue to dry as there will be slower moisture absorption into the wood. I suggest overnight.

When I tried this, the plywood broke at one of the laminations, not at the glue join, showing that the joint was still stronger than the material I started with.

Enjoying mine as usual. I do often wonder if the photos are too good. What ???! Well I was looking at some old 90's RCM&E s the other day and I noted that there was much more user content - because a black and white home snap was OK in those days. Now the standard is so high that we (readers) are mostly excluded from contributing - which makes the mag more and more a products showcase and less and less a mag about "us" - model flyers. Thus manufactures seem to be leading the trends within the hobby rather than us. I have noticed that in the last months that a radio set that destroyed a model (midget mustang? can't remember) when the RX failed still got the thumbs up, and likewise a 3D model that fell out of the sky for no reason that anyone could find was endorsed too. Hmmmm.

Thing is if we want a magazine it has to be paid for and Manufacture's adds are what does it. Still I do wish the Mag was a bit more down home. I do get bored with reviews of yet another electric ARTF. I'd like more user content even if it was not of the best quality.

Still love it though. F

Graham, thanks for explaining re RV-4. It's a shame that such a brilliant model (from what I've seen on Youtube) has been discontinued. I'm sure you're right about the better colour scheme and that it would increase sales for them.

Looking forward to seeing the SE5 finished and flying - surely a subject for a video?!

Regards, Ian

flanker in the 90s there were no ARTFs so obviously content was more varied, it is the modellers that buy ARTFs and drive the market, so if your fed up with electric foamies or artfs then blame yourself and other modellers.

as for the radio that got a thumbs up even after the rx failure was an aurora 9, and it got a thumbs up because its a top radio for the price, ask around if you dont believe the mag, simarly the 3D model was a sebart Sbach, just a brillant model.

so not sure what you getting at flanker, if a model or radio is really good even with a rare failure, surely the reviewer has to still give it a thumbs up, I can't pan a radio just because of one rx failure that i may never see again! mention it by all means but you can not pan it

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/04/2013 18:04:19

Posted by Fun Flyer on 12/04/2013 16:17:06:

If I may be allowed to, I don't agree that the reader content in Q&EFI is rubbish. I also don't think its fair for a contributer to come onto the forum and rubbish a competitive mag. Its not the first time this has happened.

I'd be interested to ascertain when a contributor ceases to be a reader and vice versa. Also is a contributor to RCM&E not then a reader of QEFI? Does that nullify his opinion of the QEFI photography (which is crap). Is contributor content not reader content then? Being as how none of us are staff and all.

What is a kit reviewer? Reader that has written an article or suddenly a contributor with no valid opinion.

Andy Ellison

Columnist (a whole different classification altogether!)

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/04/2013 18:06:56

May I but in over the pictures, with today’s technology in the modem humble camera and the cameras you get with your mobile phone these days, it is hard not to take a good picture you just point and click the camera work out everything else for you and if it looks okay it usually is, so I don’t think the argument is there that readers can’t contribute, just my opinion.

Sorry Dave but the ability of the camera does not begat the ability of the photographer and the Ed is notoriously fussy about his pics. And rightly so. The mag is miles in front of the others in its standard of photography. I've seen pixelated pics nicked off the net in reviews in the other mags I buy.

Andy

I have had to edit two posts on this thread. Can I please remind forum members that:

1. It is not acceptable to make derogatory remarks about someone else views - everyone is entitled to their view and, on this forum at least, they will be allowed to express it without insults.

2. Please learn to distinguish between what is your opinion and what is a fact - surprisingly the two are not the same thing. When you express things as an opinion ,and not as if the mere stating of them makes them facts, then as a moderator I will defend your right to your opinion as well - even when I think you're wrong! smile

BEB

PS Under the terms of the CoC - this is not up for debate or comment.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/04/2013 18:46:39

Well whether I am right of wrong makes no difference I believe everyone can take good photos with a little care and planning as I said the tech does all the hard work, however you are never going to convince the expert photographer nor do I intend too, I just feel it is easy to knock down someone’s confidence who is trying to contribute something to the readers just because there pictures are not up to scratch. I bit of guidance or help would go a long way.

My apologies if I have offended anyone not my intension.

I enjoyed the magazine, that tiny 12" span Tiger Moth (in an advertisement in the magazine) is cute! Smaller than my cats! Tim Hooper's CS60 (clearly named after my username, or not...) is very nice and better than the smaller one in my opinion, so well done Tim.

My suggestion would be the same as always in that I would like to see more kit reviews. Pete Lowe is doing a good job with building which is nice, but I'd like to see some kits of mid size sport 'hacks' in there, and more biplanes because I like them!

The aerodynamics column- What goes up I think it is called- is brilliant, I really enjoy it!

CS

ok BEB it is my opinion as a reader that the readers content in the only other mag i read QEFI is really quite rubbish, often the images are barely discernable and i have no wish to pay good money for a mag laden with sub standard images, and i really would not like RCM+E go down this route, and as someone has already noted my criticism is as a reader and nothing else, i level criticism at any mag if i feel the need, even RCM+E, just ask anyone !! actually the general photography in QEFI has vastly improved over the last 12 months, maybe they had listened to me !!  but they still have their bad issues where they let it slip again though !! 

LMA DAVE, why then do all the professional cameramen use these really expensive cameras then, why do they not turn up at weddings and football matches with an IPhone or a £50 pentax, maybe they are missing a trick Dave and you should have a word with them and let them know what they are doing wrong!!

Hope Danny gets his sliding canopy in the next issue!!

Edited By Lee Smalley on 12/04/2013 21:42:29