I want to build a model!

Erfolg

I have decided that i would like to build a model of a Waco Custom Cabin, a typical model number is the SRE.

I have looked through my book collection, only to find I have nothing substantial on WACO aircaft, just a bit on what is described as the C series.

I have Wikipidiad and Googled, and have come up with little.

I have just ordered the "WACO Aircraft Company, by Russel, Jesse & Roland Cohn".

I also spotted what I thought would be a perfect data source "WACO ZQC-6" by Jesse Russel and Roland Cohn. The front cover seems to be helicopter. Can this be right?

Has any one any suggestions on books, particularly with drawings. Googling pictures, a YQC-6 seems well represented, so I pointed towards this model.

At present based on a 35 foot span a 1/9 model comes out at 46" span (approx).

Interesting subject Erfolg, lends itself to a number of building techniques. Is this to be electric? A 3530 1400kv with a 9 or 10 x 6 prop perhaps? No, maybe a bit of overkill, a 2836 with a lazy 10 x 4.5 would be preferrable. Sorry I'm assuming a target weight of around 2 to 3 pounds with a 3 cell positioned as far forward as possible.(not a great deal of moment forward of the CG I should imagine) Anyway, I'm just waffling out loud. Looking forward to your progress, I shall bookmark this thread.

Tangeyface 23

Patmac

I have not quite worked out the nomenclature of some aspects of the WACO designation system. The third letter seems to change with time, although the aircraft remains the same. the number I think is the number of passengers. One letter is the engine and so on.

Tangental

The weight will need to be well forward, So a powerful motor, or is that a heavy motor is not an issue.

Not sure about much yet, as i need to figure out the chord, from there wing loading etc.

The SRE is probably the nicest of all the cabin Wacos.

I have three views and history in "The View from here" By Jim Newman. Can copy and send those.

I also have very nice plans from some kit, forget which it is now. These can be built from or even enlarged to what ever scale you like.

I googled Waco SRE and came up with a 3-view, a Peter Rake plan from Traplet, a Walt Mooney plan, a Sterling 33" plan, a Sterling 13" plan and an Earl Stahl 21" plan. I also found a lot of google images photos but the link to that won't work on here.

Edited By SDF on 06/04/2013 19:32:10

Edited By SDF on 06/04/2013 19:32:35

Edited By SDF on 06/04/2013 19:33:18

Edited By SDF on 06/04/2013 19:34:34

• 3 weeks later...

I have just now returned from Holiday.

I have not thought of modelling in all that time at all.

I have found on my return, that the book i ordered had arrived. It is called "Waco Aircraft Company" by Jesse Russell, Roland Cohn. Which I have not read as yet.

Thank you all for your very kind and generous offers, I may take you up on some, Thanks again.

I will look at SDF's links, as they could be of interest also.

Hi Tangental

I have had a quick look at the book I have purchased, and remain disappointed. I have found a little more data on how the aircraft was made, a tubular steel tube fuselage, wooden wing. Although no details have been found yet on the actual structural steel arrangements, nor any real data on the arrangement of the wooden wing.

In most cases, engineers like "Warren Girder" structures, then typically a few ply formers attached to the steel tube main structure, with lighter longitudinal stringers, to provide form. But is this what WACO did? if they did, what are the geometrical arrangements? If not, what did they do?

I asked the question about the wheel, at Chichen Itza. It seems that the Mayans, Totonacs and Aztecs all knew of the wheel. So why not use it? It was claimed that the circle/disc was a sacred symbol, to use it for none religious purpose would be a sacrilegious. I did suggest that a tree truck could be used, and called it a roller. Apparently such thought processes is just to transparent.

As for the weather, absolutely acceptable. Although at +30C, I thought less about anything, more concerned if I had the energy to go fo my next drink. I will be posting some wild life photos over the next few days, if interested.

I went once to a place called Playa del Carmen, where real light aircraft, landed and took of from a runway which seemed about 100m long, sat right in the middle of housing and businesses. So much for our concept of H&S.

Interesting about the wheel.

I read a Frederick Pohl si-fi story where the wheel was banned on this pl;anet and our hero had to move a large piece of equipment.

They ended up using three sided rollers shaped in the same way as the 50 p peice. For SiFi fans it was one of the stories in "The Trouble Twisters"

I was browsing Google images when i came across this picture. Interesting enough and not quite the same as the others to be worth a go and defiantly different.

Reading the book, it seems that S models had narrower cabins, are they narrower than C ? If so by a lot, or not worth worrying about as a model?

Edited By Erfolg on 23/04/2013 18:02:50

Bob's Aircraft Documentation, 3114 Yukon Ave., Costa Mesa, CA 92626, USA. (714)979-8058. www.bobsairdoc.com, should have what you are looking for. I have an old list of his and it shows more than 45 3-views of WACO aircraft. He has photographs as well but the complete catalogue that details them, is not to hand. I've buried it somewhere. The SRE is listed twice. I haven't checked him on the web lately but, his add was in the Jan.2013 Model Aviation(usa).

Good Luck Erfolg.

Jim

Edited By Jim Kemble on 23/04/2013 19:58:41

At present I am working with SDF's image.

There does appear to be an issue with the data I have read so far. It is clearly stated that the SE models are considerably thinner bodies. Yet the data of all the variants, have the same span, wing area, length etc. The all up weights are different.

So which bit of data can be believed.

I am not after 100% scale fidelity in outline, yet do seek to understand what it is I am compromising. I am still tempted by the Q model, in the picture. Just to be different!

Reading the nomenclature definitions have left me with no clear understanding on what they actually mean. As letters change in some cases based on year of manufacture, yet the same letter can also be used for a so called different sub model. Only the engine designator seems to be consistent.

Which ever model I finally try to replicate, I will seek a model with a smooth cowl, rather than with rocker blisters.

I also went to my LMS to buy some 1/8"sq spruce, to make a open framework fuz. With the view to construct a low weight back end, which is strong. Only to find no suitable material at all. I am now thinking of balsa strip. Hoping to get the strength by warren girder and longitudinal strip to mimic tubes.

I will try and count the number on the drawing and see how they compare photographs.

Whilst talking about structures, I do not understand what the strut does from wing to body. I first thought it must be a compression strut for landing forces, which looking at the drawing it clearly is not. The lower wing is so small, that the forces seem small compared to the upper wing.

I am beginning to see the attraction of the SRE/A etc as this model of the cabin series has been cleaned up and the detail outlines should be easier to make.

I have been busy marking up the SR drawing of SDF from a drawing of the YQC-6, to help decide the most practical.

There is an issue which I do not understand though. Most of the cabin series seem to have some form of NACA type cowl, with an annular gap at the back of the cowl. Yet none of the SR series seem to have this feature, nor a system of cowling gills. How can this be?