New to forum

For reasons not yet fully understood, I woke one recent morning with the urge to build and fly a model airplane. I can't explain it, I was just overwhelmed.

It all started when I saw a Dumas Corsair free flight model. I havent seen one of those in years, not to mention how many I built in my youth. My 3yr old son coaxed me into buying it so I did, knowing we would have such fun building it and eventually flying it.

Now it's half finished and I want to build one of my own. So I'm thinking about various kits and plan models. I like vintage and classic aircraft so considering something along those lines while I learn to fly something like a wot.

Hello, by the way, I'm RustyCavalier

Advert

Thanks for the kind welcome. Happy to check in to the Mad House!

my local model shop are keen for me to buy a Boomerang, but I guess that's because they have a stockroom full of them. Lots of good comments on the Wot, seems a good learning machine. I used to fly rubber band and gliders free flight when I was younger so this is my first journey into powered and controlled flight.

Radios have come a long way in the last 20 years so still trying figure out the best to go for. As for prestige flying, I'm looking at building a vintage twin or big engine. Quite like the look of the Phillip Noel Mosquito or maybe something like a staggerwing.

It's sad to say but it's not often I listen to my local store on what they suggest. As always they need to make a profit and have targets etc to meet. Most are pretty good but if your new to the hobby then you can end buying stuff you just do not need.

Now the Boomerang is nice model and will suit a 40-46 ic engine well if that is what you want.

Hi Rusty,

if you are new to R/C then the Boomerang would be better for you than the WOT4 TBH. The WOT4 is a great second model, but not really suitable for complete beginners. This is especially true if you do not have the services of an instructor on a buddy lead. The Boomerang is a very well known and respected IC trainer.

Speaking of instructors, if you have not done so you would be well advised to join a club. Free advice, free flying instruction and you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that where you are flying is a safe place. Whether you join a club or not though, insurance is an absolute must for anyone with commoin sense! A club will arrange insurance for you, if you go it alone you can obtain insurance through the BMFA www.bmfa,org.uk

Other trainer style models you might consider are the Arising Star if IC is your thing or as Ted says the E-Pioneer if you favour electric power.

BEB

PS Opps! I am forgetting my manners, welcome on board smile

Posted by RustyCavalier on 19/04/2013 17:14:02:

... my two local clubs are apparently full(is that possible?).

Clubs vary, some set a limit on numbers, others don't. (Mine doesn't.) It depends on the circumstances of each club.

If you say roughly where you are geographically then maybe somebody on here will be able to suggest a suitable club that you might not be aware of.

Hi Rusty and welcome to the forum, if you are looking to spend your cash then why not come to our show at the weekend at the Rougham Airfeild just of the A14 there is a whole host of trader like Al’s Hobbies, Inwoods, Hobby King, Belair, Slec to name but a few, plus flying at its best.

PS the BMFA Stand will also be there.

Edited By LMA Dave on 24/04/2013 23:24:02