Bristol Blenheim Mk1V

Well although I still have a couple of projects on the building board, these are nearing completion and its time to start thinking about the next design. I have been working on this one on and off for the past few months so I have got well on with the basic design. It will be a long term project with an aim to be ready for this sort of time next year I guess.

bb 1v 94inch.jpg

Based around 96" wing span for twin electric power with an all up weight of around 20-24lb (lighter would be nice but doubtful). Plans are now almost ready to committ to the cnc cutters in the next few weeks so will post occasional progress as things move forward. Putting this on here now hopefully committs me to getting on with it! Linds

Linds,

What a great choice always loved the Blenheim, brings back memories of my visit maaaany years ago to Hendon if Iam not mistaken and talking to one of the guys there who did the restoration of the Blenheim which crashed because of pilot error.

Looking forward to the build the design is looking great.

Nice wingspan by the way.

Ton

Thanks for the interest guys. The Bristol Blenheim has always been a favorite of mine. It's an aircraft that has a certain charm and character. When I came across the book 'Spirit of Britain First' by Graham Warner which covers the 20 year restoration project last year at a boot sale it sort of re kindled the idea of designing and building the model. At 96" it allows for some reasonable detail whilst not being too huge. The wing will break down into three sections, split just outside of the engine nacelles, this has required a small revison of the split flap detail for the scale purist but wins hands down on practicality as it can be stored with the centre section in situ.The biggest challenge I suspect is going to be accurately producing that distinctive greenhouse front end. Not yet sure weather to go down the vacuum form route or work from a series of ply laser cut interlocking profiles that can be glazed, its a challenge I can chew over for a while at the moment. Linds

• 1 month later...

Not sure why but editing causing a problem but progress has been made with the full size plan now completed and printed. Had to lay it out in the garden to see it all at once. The cad work is pretty much done and the files for the cnc cut parts has now been sent to Slec so hopefully not too long before parts start to show up and the serious work can start. Few weekends away now with Weston and Greenacres but once these are out the way I can hopefully get stuck into so serious building. Linds

Following this with interest; not enough good designs around for the workhorse aeroplanes such as this.

I do hope your project has huge sucess and rather hope it will give birth to a CNC pack and/or plan in RCME, so that lazier (and not enough spare time) persons, such as yours truely can build it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the positive coments guys, I spent most of yesterday at the Nats checking out some of the 20 sized petrol engines. I was originally planning to go the electric route however the sound issue was always at the back of my mind a little, and yes i know you can get some pretty good sound boxes these day but there is nothing quite like the sound of two engines in sync. Anyway I was really impressed with the physical size, power and price of the DLE 20. I need to do a few dimensional checks but it looks like two of these are going to be the ticket. has anyone got any practical insight into these, I hear good things generally about DLE but have never owned one myself. Anyway the big build is due to start very very soon now - can't wait - kid in toy shop etc, etc. Linds

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 25/08/2013 16:29:18

Hi CS, to be honest I did not consider glow engines although I agree they have a nice sound, the fuel residue and cost of fuel is the biggest put off compared to petrol these days. In the past I would not have though twice about a nice pair of four strokes. Although most engines are quite reliable these days the fact that petrol engines having a pumped carb also allows the fuel tank to be positioned to optimise minimum cg change as fuel is used and thats a plus as well. Thanks for your input always good. Linds