Bristol Blenheim Mk1V

Drool,drool,dribble dribble whine !

Slightly off topic, but I wonder how long it will be before the model engine manufacturers start turning out affordable small capacity four stroke petrol engines (and multis). It could happen. Think of the engine sounds then !

kevinb.

Hi CS yes very compact motors for the size and will just about fit within the cowls less the spark plug cap, these will go inverted so thats not to much of an issue, I was also impressed with the fact that they drop into a standard 120 size mount, also a very compact silencer so no ugly lump hanging out the side either. Next big purchase I guess will be the retracts so time for a bit of further research over the next few weeks / months. Linds

Well could not resist any longer so set about making a start on the Blenheim today. Project has started with the tailplane which is basically a 2mm balsa sheet centre core, with 2mm balsa riblets, a trailing edge made up of 3 laminates of 3mm balsa to make up the thickness and does increase the strength. The ribs are glued in place, one surface at a time then the trailing edge added. When dry the trailing edge will be trimmed to size. Its not much buts its a start.

s1000336.jpg

s1000342.jpg

I should get the hinge points made up and perhaps sheeting on tomorrow. Linds

Well as planned a little more done today with hings bocks and additional spar all from 6mm medium balsa added to both sides of the tailplane and then the main top sheeting added with a 3mm overhang on the trailing edge for the shrouded hinge line.

s1000344.jpg

s1000345.jpg

I'd be lost without wooden pegs! next job will be to complete the trailing edge shape to the tips from balsa block and then a sand to profile. more soon Linds.

Well did manage to get a little more done starting with completing the sheeting on the tailplane and adding balsa block to the tips and a final sand to shape, its actually now ready for glass covering.

Next on the list is logically the elevators, these start as per tailplane with two 2mm balsa sheet templates of the elevators.

s1000346.jpg

These are made up as a complete unit with the leading edge effectively being the spar and connection. The spar is made up of a 6mm square hard balsa laminated to a 3mmx6mm balsa strip and glued full span of the elevators. Also useful to check alignment with the tailplane at this stage as a second check to make sure it was the correct span.

s1000347.jpg

Ribs can now be added from 3mm balsa wedges, I measured out on one surface then realised I had measured wrong so always measure twice before marking out. Then all the vertical ribs can be added. At the centre joiner a slot is cut for a full depth ply joiner that is glued to the back of the spar, this was then blocked in with 6mm balsa that acts as a stiffener and hindge point.

s1000349.jpg

next job will be to add other 6mm balsa hinge points and 6mm balsa to the tip extensions then a repeat on the other side. More soon Linds

Ah Tim, its easy going at the moment, the complicated bits are going to be a test for sure, not looking forward to that greenhouse on the front! Anyway a little more done since last post with effectively completion of the major construction of the tail and elevators now waiting for the rain to stop so they can be sanded to final shape, then it will be a temporary fix of robart hinges.

s1000351.jpg

I will cut the trim tabs out before covering and add the final parts prior to painting.

s1000352.jpg

Next job is the rudder, again I used 2mm balsa for a core template and this will be bulked out starting with 2 laminates of 6mm balsa leading edges. These will be cut when dried and glued to each side then 3mm ribs glued and hinge blocks added as per the elevators. I also need to make a decision on the control linkage horn point for the rudder which will be a closed loop system.

Well thats all for now, more soon. Linds

s1000353.jpg

Managed to get most of the rudder finished now, just the hinge blocks and horn fixings, I'll add some 6mm block to the bottom and top as fill in to the first and last ribs for added protection from those dreaded bouts of hanger rash plus a good sand to final shape, again the trim tab will be removed and added back later before painting. I guess we are approaching time to start on the fuz next. Time to make some space in the workshop first as things start to get a bit bigger now. More soon Linds

Bit more of an update, the rudder has now had the balsa block work for the hinges added and a general sand, I also added a couple of 6mm square balsa rib braces to avoid flex in the rudder as it is quite large.

s1010004.jpg

Ok now for the fuz, as always best to start with a kit of bits, Slec have done an excellent job with my cnc cut bits for me but I still needed to cut them free a light sand and get them organised ready to start, you end up with a nice batch of parts ready to work with.

s1010001.jpg

Putting the formers to one side the fuselage is to be constructed on a central crutch system that will carry much of the loads, as this extends the full length of the fuselage I had it cut in to parts which then need to be glued together. I used a 'jigsaw' fix for this so to aid location and spread the shear loads.

s1010002.jpg

The two holes are to carry the main spar aluminium tubes and the top edge is a straight line datum, the slots are locating points for each former

s1010003.jpg

It's suddenly become quite big! All the holes are of course are to keep the weight down without reducing the strength, dispite having two engines twins are notorious for being tail heavy.

More soon. Linds

Ok last bit from the weekends efforst see's the formers starting to go in place starting with the two either side of the spar position as this is a square section of the fuselage. With all components effectively slotting together it really is a case of slot in place and glue as you go just keep the fuz square, jig would be useful but not necessary.

s1010005.jpg

s1010008.jpg

The ply support for the rear gunner is also slotted in and helps keep everything square. NB this is pre cut to allow the rear turret to move - more how too when we get to that stage though.

s1010006.jpg

First minor problem is an error with one of the front formers (would be !) not sure why but the width is wrong and the locating tab is mixing, not difficult to correct but I need a couple of free hours to make good, and correct the plan if neccessary of course. Still starting to look like it might turn into a Blenheim now.

More soon Linds

The most painfull part of the build so far and no doubt prone to future damage is the shape of the glasshouse on the front.

s1010009.jpg

It took three atempts before I was happy with the shape and alignment, even then one of the formers needed some minor adjustment. I will glass coat the frames for added strength and when the glazing and frames go on it should be pretty strong but for now I am glad that bit is done. Time to update the plan now.

more soon Linds.

Edited By Lindsay Todd on 10/09/2013 22:14:10

Well a little bit more to add now starting with the lower centre fuselage keel for want of a better descrition. This is made up of laminates of 6mmx6mm square balsa with scarf joints were the angles change between forward and rear sections of the fuselage.

s1010014.jpg

The tail wheel assembly mounting box has now been made up from interlocking ply sections and glued to the rear of former 11. the whole assembly is strengthen by triangular section, a base plate will be added later through which a brass tube with bushes will pass to carry the piano wire collet and plate assembly will fit ontop with a closed loop forward to the servo. The photo shows the assembly upside down.

s1010018.jpg

The 'keel' will be cut away later

s1010021.jpg

The next job was lots of stringers running between formers. All the top stringers and side are now in place with the lower stringers to be added once the control systems are installed. The stringers are all 6mm square balsa, some joined with doublers to create the correct length. Were the fuselage curves at the front these were soaked and weigted before being glued to prevent cracking. The wing area is left basically clear at this stage as the wings will partially plug into the fuselage sides aided by the fairings.

s1010022.jpg

Could not resist a partial assembly shot. next job is the fin. More soon Linds

Yes, I know the feeling. When you're putting the fuselage and wings together it all rattles along and then, when you have an airframe complete, you think "Wow, nearly there!" But the reality is that all the other "details" take many times as long to complete as the basic airframe and being small items they often don't seem like significant steps forward. Then suddenly you realise you really do only have a couple of things to do and you'll have to fly it!

Still we love it all really,....most of the time! wink 2

BEB

I totally agree with Dave Platt on that one, the airframe probably won't take that long, but the finishing and kitting out will be months. That nose Danny was a headache but yes quite happy with the shape now. I am going to go with individual glazed panels I think, but we are a bit away from that at the moment. Linds

With things to do tommorow I decided to push on with a fe jobs today starting with completion of the ply mounting for the tailwheel which is now ready to receive the brass tube. I will make up the wire tailwheel leg during the week and test fit prior to installation. I also decided to add some further triangular section local reinforcement just to be on the safe side.

s1010030.jpg

Next job was to install the elevator control rods. For this I am using a single heavyweight rod system that will connect to a Horn soldered to a 3mm wire joiner in the central region of the elevator (yet to be made). the rod needs to be supported at every few inches so whilst I have good access this is obviously the best time to do this.

s1010029.jpg

Next on with some construction, and this means the fin. The first job is to cut out the components which consist of a 6mm balsa leading edge which is a sort of S shape, a 6mm balsa step rib that interconects the leading edge to the trailing edge former 12 already on the fuselage, 2off 6mm top trailing edge pieces and 4 ribs from 2mm medium balsa that run parrallel up the fin, the lower one effectively also acting as a location for the tailplane, or in as much as intersecting with the tailplane at its thickest point.

s1010028.jpg

Each ib has been slotted at the front and buts to f12 at the rear, extra 6mm will be added between the ribs and additional again at the hinge points.The fin also gets sheeted so makes for a pretty strong structure.

s1010027.jpg

More soon. Linds