Suitable gyro for rudder stabilization on take off

Stevo

Hi All,

What gyros are you guys using to stabilise the rudder? The majority of my aircraft are old timers and are prone to a bit of spinning around on take off...

From my research...

• Heading hold
  • Needs to be switched off from the Tx

I feel confident to set one up but rather than experimenting and wasting my salary, anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve

Advert

Thanks you guys

Can't seem to find a GWS PG-03 anywhere but haven't given up. The '401 type' is that the HL401..?

Can you succesfully turn it off as soon as it breaks ground? Reading the reviews on GiantShark it seems like thay are noot too bad, but recent batches seem to be a bit lacking!

Steve

I see the gyro is mounted plumb in the middle of the model - nothing wrong with that but it might help others with limited space to know that only the orientation of the gyro axis is important and you will get exactly the same effect if you mount it anywhere in the model - even on a wingtip if the fancy takes you...

You can take a look at the BL-3GRC gyro, it has a special take off mode. Ie you can set the gyro to have very high gain on rudder at take off for a limited time.. RC Model Flyer Magazine has a test report about this gyro that specifically talks about this take off mode feature

Edited By ICE-MAN on 25/04/2013 05:17:41

Well well well. I have mixed views on all this, as an electronics engineer etc I marvel at the device and what it can achieve, and it will certainly help a trainee. However parhaps a little pricey (not for the device - but for what I want it for) and would it now introduce a false sense of security? For example, we all have to counteract the odd gust of wind and should be on the look out for it - however with this device all this could be counteracted....

All my planes are reasonably stable flyers (WW1 types) so a gyro on take off would help. However should my models get more advanced (unstable and faster) then this is worth looking at.

Will research further!

PS - Could it introduce a stick shake near the stall please devil

Edited By Stevo on 25/04/2013 08:56:46

Posted by Stevo on 24/04/2013 21:09:23:

Yes I put it close to the CoG as possible so that the gyro actually rotates...

I did notice that if I pivot the aircraft about the CoG, I get far more rudder movement than if I pivot it from, say the prop.

As Martin already said, it doesn't matter where the gyro is, you should get the same response for the same angular rotation, regardless of the pivot point. After all, when it turns whilst in the air (or on the ground during take off) the plane isn't pivotting around its c. of g., but around a point some distance beyond one of the wingtips!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow up - after I did the tests and made the above video (1 of 2) I am convinced that if your having problems with a tail dragger the gyro will help as the quick & subtle inputs are far quicker than anything you can put in...

I have just fitted one to my latest project a 94" Handley Page HP42 4 engine which should help me and I am sure "Stevo" the fitting of a simple gyro could be of help to you.

Regards Peter

handley page hp42. peter bruce.jpg

Great video! Shows very well the effectiveness of the gyro.

I would just like to pick up on a comment above about the Gyro positioning. It does need to be close to the CofG. (The closer the better but doesn't need to be directly on it). The aircraft control surfaces act to move the plane about the CofG, so they need to know exactly what to do based on correct information.

It depends how you read some of the above posts, but PLEASE don't get any fixation with thinking a 401 Gyro (either a Futaba GY401 or the much cheaper "clone" HK401b) is a fixed Heading Hold unit? IT has that OPTION, depending on how it is set on the Tx via switch, but it is not mandatory and for fixed wing the best setting is rate mode!! (either way you can switch in flight).

(Owner of 20 plus Heli's and seven fixed wing planes with gyros of various types).

Regarding the fitting of a gyro - hotmost models have bucket loads of room and its not critical - if you have a heli you cant fit the gyro to its CofG (the rotor head) - so you fit it to the rear end of the heli fuzz which in my scale helis has been 3 to 4 inches away from the rotor head and it works so never panic as just go ahead and fit it in where all the other gear fits... Note I fitted a SIMPLE gyro - no heading hold and NOT even switchable (on / off from Tx) just the simple "KISS" (keep it simple & stupid) gyro and it works as the two videos show however now you can even get 3 axis gyros for only a little extra cost but that was NOT the option or help I was looking for when I first did this. The video's were made so you could see what was going on in the air to the large rudder control surface - which it clearly shows. Everything is a compromise - to a certain extent - with a model so just put the gyro in where you can with everything else and ensure its level and WELL SECURED. Set the gyro's direction (as shown in one of the videos on this site) set the gain to mid range and go fly. Dont be scared to do this there is hardly any room for error on your part...

Regards Petersmiley