Serious electric plane

Advert

Thats Amazing Martion,

It could only have come from either America,Japan,or Germany with inovation like that!...I suppose the next question would be,how much longer before we see all electric airliners like the Airbus A380? I feel that may be a while yet. I just wish we in Britain could give our aerospace industry a reinvigouration like this. Lets face it we have given a lot to the world in the past TV,Hovercraft,Jet Engine Etc......................

Very impressive thing, although I don't think it is 'beautiful'! I also don't believe it is necessarily the future (for larger aircraft mainly), if you consider where the electricity has come from. I think for cars Hydrogen fuel cells may be the answer, but there are still hurdles to overcome, but as for aeroplanes I am not sure, especially for airliners. As a future aviation engineer hopefully, I may be the one helping out with it (higher and faster is what I want!).

CS

Wow Slovenia,that is interesting,

CS it dosent have to be beautiful to be pioneering/ground breaking which is what it is.

Jon yes there is a definate look of a twister in there thats for sure,i bet it must have one very efficiant wing,maybe even more so than some powered gliders.

Certainly worthwhile as a model subject,and different i would say its the type of plane you would see Tim Hooper doing as elec,and differentsmiley

Kind Regards

Steve

The main hurdle for hydrogen fuel cells is the complete lack of hydrogen mines. Thus all hydrogen is made from fossil fuels, adding one more level of indirection and inefficiency to the overall process. Of course it could be made by electrolysis using nuclear power, if you can persuade the greenies to allow you to build a few nuclear power plants.

But didn't someone already fly arounbd the world with a solar electric plane?

John

Posted by ConcordeSpeedbird on 25/04/2013 20:45:09:

... I also don't believe it is necessarily the future (for larger aircraft mainly), if you consider where the electricity has come from. I think for cars Hydrogen fuel cells may be the answer, but there are still hurdles to overcome,

But where does the hydrogen come from? Mostly (at present) it's either steam reforming of natural gas, or electrolysis. dont know

As for the Panthera, I think it has a certain elegance about it. I can see how some may disagree though! I was amused by the news report's mention of the parachute system being fitted in case the motor suddenly stopped. I'd have thought in most instances it would be preferable to glide down to a forced landing in a field of your choice, rather than to descend to a random location suspended beneath a parachute. However, in the event of a catastrophic airframe failure, then the parachute wins hands down!

I don't think a round the world flight by solar power has been achieved yet but last year Bertrand Piccard **LINK** achieved a remarkable flight.

I don't know whether long distance electric flight will be possible but technology moves a such a pace who knows what tommorrow will bring.

Interesting snippet in the article:

" And since most people will probably be leery about flying in an electric plane given the stories of electric cars randomly stopping, the Panthera comes equipped with a high-speed full airframe parachute system which will deliver it safetly back to Earth if there’s a problem."

Whereas most of us are of the opinion that ic is temperamental and electric is the reliable one!