Galloping Ghost P51

mightypeesh

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps, bit more done, be ready for some covering soon!

img_8095.jpg

added the distinctive leading edge detail....

img_8101.jpg

and made the removable wing tips for the shorter wings....

img_8115.jpg

and fitted magnets and posts to the battery hatch chin scoop.

img_8104.jpg

looking quite mean devil

img_8110.jpg

all the bits taped together. with the short wings........

img_8111.jpg

and with the longer ones slotted in.

Still got lots of little jobs to do, a bit of final filling shaping and sanding then onto covering. I have drawn up the graphics ready to laser cut so it should look quite good.

will update soon, cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 16/02/2014 10:33:54

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernie, there are many more talented builders than me on here - and quicker! But thankyou and I am glad you like it. Got to the stage of covering with solarfilm, so first a thin coat of Balsaloc to all parts

img_8336.jpg

img_8337.jpg

Then what felt like forever with the covering iron and hot-air gun

img_8369.jpg

Its an ARTF!smiley

I spent some time on Adobe Illustrator drawing out the graphics, logos ect before exporting to Autocad and laser cutting out of Solartrim, I am resisting applying them just yet (just) as I want to get some assembly done first.

img_8339.jpg

It's all coming together at last. Still loads of little jobs to do, like making the exhaust stacks, connecting all the surfaces and suck like.

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 05/03/2014 14:15:31

Hi again chaps. Grand weather for a change here in Kent - lovely! Ok I have now attached the flying control surfaces and finished the odds and sods of covering. Still need to attach horns and servos. Even though I say so myself she is looking quite sexy.

img_8384.jpg

img_8381.jpg

And once again with the short tips on....

img_8388.jpg

img_8392.jpg

Looks like she will be a fast onesmiley

And of course she needs a pilot. If you were into RC buggys in the 80's you will know him as the vintage driver from an original Tamiya Sand Scorcher. The silver of the helmet is a bit Flash Gorden, but it was the only silver 'rattler' I had to hand, and it should go 'like a rocket' after all. bit of wire with a blob for a mic, and bobs your auntie.

img_8402.jpg

Cheers gents, hope this weather holds, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 09/03/2014 18:19:59

Hi gents. Got some exhaust stacks done today, not scale, but should provide a little bit of air flow up front.

img_8403.jpg

Bit of Autocad and laser cutting, with some 7mm tube from B&Q.

img_8405.jpg

sand down a chamfer and cut down the tube...

img_8407.jpg

Tada

img_8412.jpg

Mark up and cut some slots with a very steady hand.

img_8418.jpg

Add some black spray paint and foil tape then epoxy in place - jobs ready to go.

getting close to those decals, cheers, Simon

Hi Chaps. I could not resist those decals any longer! I drew up the graphics in illustrator, and the laser cut them out from solartrim which I had spray-mounted onto a bit of board to keep it flat in the machine.

img_8422.jpg

some of the logos are three colour so i cut identical ones from each so I could select the parts needed

img_8424.jpg

first thing to do is to remove the bits you do not want. I think it is called 'weeding' in the trade.

img_8425.jpg

This is 'vinyl application transfer paper or film' It is like a low tack masking film to pick up the bits from the waxy backing paper. You have to rub it down onto the decals to get it to pick-up.

img_8426.jpg

Blue and red bits picked up, the next is the plain white back-ground.

img_8429.jpg

Then apply the whole lot in position on your plane. because the adhesive backing of the solartrim sticks better than the clear stuff it leaves it all behind in the right place. Neat eh.

img_8432.jpg

bit more weeding

img_8435.jpg

Very pleased with the outcome. This is the first time I have used laser cut trim to make multicolour decals, but it looks good to me. Next time I would add some index marks as well to aid lining up the seprate colours

img_8437.jpg

Very nearly there. Just need to sort out the cockpit, make some covers for the spindly u/c legs and locate the battery for the c of g. This is going to need to be quite a long way back because of that long nose, heavier motor and shiny ali spinner that I have put on. I am not too worried though as it has plenty of room in there!

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 20/03/2014 17:53:36

Simon, there are no word's in the English language that can properly compliment what you've created there. I've followed 'The Galloping Ghost' since it's return to racing back in 2010 and am just gobsmacked at your 'baby' [give's me an almost 'creepy' feeling looking at it as it look's that accurate to the full-sized racing Mustang].

Stellar job mate! [God don't crash it Simon]

Cheers,

Phil

Wow, thanks chaps, glad you like her so much. However I can only take the credit for a bit of modification to Ton van Munsteren's plans, used to create what i hoped would have some of the feeling of the real aircraft. This model is definately sport scale, and as such I have resisted to go too mad on details. Though the more i work on her, the more I think a bigger one maybe in order at some point in the future.........after the back log of other projects has been cleared maybe! On the crashing front, I just hope it is not like naming a ship Titanic. We shall see soon.

I would not have got her so far without all your kind words,

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon,

Not meant to bore, let alone insult your knowledge of your newly gained 'winged' daughter. In 1946, the U.S. Army was selling off their surplus equipment including aircraft. Your little girl [NX79111] was sold to the general public for roughly $2000.00 U.S. Dollars. That allowed a group of people to take these hi-performance aeroplane's and start a racing format based on racing a 'pylon' type circuit.

Originally named 'The Galloping Ghost' [the nick-name of an American footballer Red Grange....Chicago Bear's]. The 'Ghost' had changed name's and owner's a few different time's over quite a few decade's. Back in the `70's, I was leaning against a Mustang named 'Miss Candace at Reno. A year or so later, she crashed and lost her belly-scoop and was put in to storage. Her serial no. was NX79111. Eventually Jimmy Leeward brought the 'remain's' and turned her into the little 'Silver Monster'' race no. 177 that we only got to know again for a very short time.  

I know your'e not a big fan of 'scooped' mustang's but perhaps Ton wouldn't object to you using his plan's one more time and build your little girl a 'sister'....'Voodoo'. What you did with your 'Ghost' build, it would be lovely to see what you could do with the 'Little Purple Monster' [2013 Reno Champion].

Hope I didn't overstep my ground's Simon [I'm now speaking to you from under my desk].

Cheers,

Phil

Edited By Phillip Long on 25/03/2014 01:25:14

Don't worry Phillip all extra info is gratefully received - I did not know she lost her belly scoop in a crash or that she was named after an American footballer! Voodoo is a good looker, though I noticed yesterday that YT International have a nice version out, which kinda rules it out to me.

download.jpg

The other one I liked was the Strega one, but once again there are a couple of versions out there.

bl2_4978 p-51d n71ft strega right side m.jpg

Mind you it is still a case of 'so many planes, so little time' and I would not rule out another P51 now....maybe even with a belly scoop!

Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon,

If time allow's, have a look at photo's of the real 'Voodoo' and you'll see your talent is needed to correct that 'store-bought' kit. Not being funny, but about the only thing that manufacturer got correct is the paint-scheme. Both Voodoo and Strega have highly modified 'belly scoop's'. Voodoo's is actually lower-profile and, elongated [the tail-wheel is actually contained where the rear of the scoop meet's the fuse], something the 'kit' plane missed all together as well as the no-nonsense 'turtle-deck' canopy assembly.

Strega has won Reno four year's on the trot. The guy that accomplished those four Reno victories in Strega switched to pilot Voodoo last year and won that championship as well [I think we're looking at a little Senna and Schumacher here]. The interesting bit is this was accomplished by a guy that was aged 25 year's!

Cheers,

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

From the pictures it looks like you've used a silver/aluminium finish on the fuselage. I have witnessed 2.4 GHz aerials being shielded by certain types of metallic finish covering so if you weren't intending to (I'm sure you would, though) I'd recommend very careful range testing with the motor running before that maiden flight!

To avoid range problems you might even need to put the Rx aerials  outside , though I'm sure there is a way you will be able to make them less noticeable. You won't see them in the air though.

Edited By cymaz on 06/04/2014 09:20:51

Hi Gents. Thanks for your concerns over silver coverings. I researched the problems of using silver with 2.4 before I chose my covering and the consensus seems to be that with Solarfilm people have not had any problems with signal loss, the discussion is here if you fancy a read - **LINK**.

The problem is with films that have a layer of metal foil in them - namely Profilm silver or chrome, or using aluminium foil as a covering. I will however still be carefully range checking before flying (call me an old cynic !)

On the maiden front, this Wednesday is ear-marked as the daylaugh I have a few bits to sort today but I am pretty much there, just need to fit the C of G that I have had on order from Ebay - I hope it is not a dodgy clone! wink

Cheers, Simon

Hi Phillip. took a couple of snaps today, I will take some better ones at the patch on Wednesday.

Hi chaps. I have got there with the Ghost, thanks to you for encouraging me as it did flounder in the middle a bit and you gave me the kick I needed. Did the final bits today, bit of wiring, fitting the motor finally etc. The motor I have elected to use for the initial flights is the E Flite power15, though if it needs it I will pop in the power25 I have got sitting here. I have made it so that the motors can swap straight in and out with captive nuts on the cross mount.

img_8493.jpg

Because of the heavier motor and spinner I have had to move the battery right back to avoid adding any more weight for the C of G, so I need to remove the wing to pop the battery in. With this in mind I have made up an 'arming plug' so that nothing is live until I want it to be!

img_8511.jpg

Thanks to Martin Phillips and his help in deciding on how to make up the loom.

img_8512.jpg

external arming plug in place. I will fit to all my planes now I have found how easy it is, but hide it away better next time.

img_8503.jpg

img_8504.jpg

img_8505.jpg

img_8508.jpg

There we go then, I hope she flies as good as she looks! I will post again wednesday to report on the maiden with some photo's.

Fingers crossed, cheers, Simon