What warbird for a 1.20 4stroke?

Robert Armstrong 2

I have a 1.20 4 stroke looking for a warbird, my first. I would rather go for something other than a Spitfire or Mustang (just want to be different).

I keep thinking about the Blackhorse Stuka (no retracts!) or a 190 (like the looks). Any Thunderbolts that size anyone has experience of (told that most fly well)?

I'm not much or a builder, so an artf is preferred. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Advert

I've flown a Black Horse FW190 a few times recently and it handles superbly, has loads of "presence" due to its size and really looks good in the air. The SC120 provides ample power for nice big loops.

The owner didn't like the retracts supplied (flimsy and faulty) so upgraded to Eflite 120 sized (87.5 degree) which were virtually exact drop in replacements. As another owner who is assembling one also came to the same conclusion I'd budget for a set if this model appeals to you.

I'm certainly very impressed so far.

One oddity is that both qwners made the same mistake while assembling their models - quite independently. They poured scorn on Black Horse for assembling one of the flap servo hatch covers wrongly and turned one round, removing and refixing the printed covering to match. Neither considered that flaps both operate in the same direction and so need asymmetry...it cost the first one 2 servos (long story) and a servo reverser and the second some extra work and a hole to fill.

Another very nice model for a 120 that I flew was a Kyosho Mustang - flew well and a very effective rendition of a natural aluminium finish.

slowly embarrassed

No excuse really given the weather we are having, except i am ebaying hard to get the funds for the retracts, not going with the e-flight ones, will try the ones from the US i posted in my (none)build thread. Tail wheel is still bugging the hell out of me though! LOL

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...