Losing patience with HobbyKing

Advert

Posted by Paul Marsh on 28/06/2013 10:09:04:

I won't use HK again, for another reason. Best buy from a proper british model shop and get the support you want - or need...yes

What's a proper british model shop? They're dying off faster than snowballs are melting in hades due to folks like me and you going to the likes of HK, GS etc.

Besides I'm not convinced that a PBMS would do any better than HK. Just my 2p.

Well gents, I appreciate that cheap means lower expectations but at the same time, I do feel entitled to expect to recieve a reasonable response from a company that operates world-wide and has established a presence in the UK - however tenuous the set-up may be in regard to being subject to normal UK trading standards with the bonded warehouse status it enjoys. I may have it wrong here (this is only my uninformed interpretation of public postings here and on other forums) and if products supplied via the UK warehouse are subject to normal UK selling and merchantability standards, I'd be delighted to be corrected.

All I can say is that I have enjoyed reasonable service from HK in the past and have taken some of the less satisfied customers' posts I've read with a pinch of salt but if my recent experience is anything to go by, then I will confine my purchases to low value consumables if I continue to use them at all.

But I don't think that simply accepting appalling response times and sloppy responses from Customer Services because their pricing is very competitive will do me - or any prospective customers - any good at all and would constitute laziness and craven acceptance of apparently obstructive practices on my part.

After a further 14 days I received this offer:

Hi Martin ,
Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.

Please be advised that the following would be the suitable items:

5-blade fan

and

3S 2200mAh 40C

Please advise if you want a replacement or credit processed for both items. Kindly provide the order number as well.

Thanks for emailing support.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
----------------------------------------------

Quite how a 2200mAh 3s battery (for a fan unit described as designed for 4s) to replace the power output of a 2450 mAh 6s was arrived at is a bit of a mystery to me but I have responded as politely and helpfully as possible...

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/07/2013 08:57:12

Hi all

This is. Not the first story I have read/ heard about HK service along these lines.

i have bought many an item from HK without issue, and when I do, I tend to pay and forget. Then if it takes 3 weeks to arrive its a pleasant surprise when I least expect it. So far everything has turned up. I am looking to spend a couple hundred bucks next on a car which I hope arrives in one peace.

Personally I work with one rule. Never buy anything on line you can't afford to lose or take a risk on. This has stood me in good stead so far. If its that expensive, I would rather go to a local shop front where I can have face to face interaction and some where to go back to in the event of product failure.

Hi all,have read Martins tale of woe with these clowns and must add that cheap is nasty where HobbyKing is concerned.

Clearly they or their representatives are not members of the modelling fraternity-if they were they would follow chat room feedback and monitor for ongoing issues;and it is always poor service and back-up with this mob.It's your money they want,and distance makes an excellent barrier for refund-you pay to return,with no guarantee they will honour their service warrantees.

As a Kiwi I am unable to purchase goods from Hk's Aust. warehouse-instead it comes from China at inflated Air China freight rates.

We have three model shops here in quakeville (Christchurch),one markedly better than the others,but all have knowledgeable staff,experienced in most aspects of modelling,tho' one is heavy on toy car racing.

I endeavour whenever possible to purchase from these shops-if there should be an issue it can be sorted man to man or if they don't know,they'll know someone who does.

Happy Landings

Tim

Reason for edit: Language, Timothy!smile o

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/07/2013 09:00:05

Hi Tiger Tim. I visited Christchurch in February and was staggered both at the scale of the devastation and the almost Churchillian response of everyone I met to overcoming the catastrophe and building a new City which will recognisably be Christchurch, yet better able to resist any future seismic events. I didn't get as far as finding the hobby shops and it's fantastic to hear that you've got three. We plan to go back in 10 years to see the city rising and really look forward to it. The best of luck in the meantime, you are going to win.

As far as Hobbyking is concerned, it's sad to hear of peoples' problems. You can only speak as you find and personally I haven't had anything like this so far. I buy from whoever seems to have whatever I need at the time and support our local hobby shop as far as I can. We have high expectations these days, (rightly) and overall I don't think that we've ever had it so good, but we are a very thin market by most commercial standards and it can't be easy to take us all on and be profitable. However, I don't question the basic principle that, if it isn't good enough, you should complain.

Can we complain if due to incessant demand for cheaper goods companies cut back on the quality of things like accessories, manuals, and (dare I say it) customer services?

You get what you pay for. As a whole nowadays people don't buy quality they'll buy whatever is cheap and throw it away when it breaks.

Lots of electronic devices still fail because manafacturers use cheap versions of components like capacitors which fail- the whole thing broken for the cost of a 1p components. I've had numerous power tools fail because manafacturers use "engineering plastic" in crucial places where they should have used metal.

Not particularly commenting on this particular case, just the general discussion. If I bought an item from Selfridges I'd expect a much better level of CS than from Aldi. Equally, I would expect to have to use the CS services less at Selfridges because I'd expect a better item in the first place.... There are some exceptions though- Screwfix are incredibly cheap but have a no quibble returns policy which I've to use a couple of times (IE cheap and good) yet when my brand new Magimix from John Lewis was dead on arrival they tried to tell me I had to return it (at my own expense) to Magimix to sort out- got that sorted by speaking to the manager, explaining who my contract was with etc....

But stil- if we insist on going for the cheapest of the cheap we shouldn't be too surprised if we find problems and we shouldn't be too surprised if when we do they aren't bending over backwards to sort it out.

I have spent over $4000 dollars on hobbyking. Overall, their customers service is good. I have never lost a package or had something missing from an order.

I have returned items. Yes, you do have to pay postage but I always get credit which is fine for me.

Overall, I would say their products are cheap but good quality yet not perfect.

I think that they offer a good price on items which enables to explore the hobby more than I could if I purchased items in the UK.

I always wonder where these so called british model shops are manufacturing their goods.

Seems to me, most come from the same place.

Posted by Down Under on 07/07/2013 01:54:16:

...... Personally I work with one rule. Never buy anything on line you can't afford to lose or take a risk on. This has stood me in good stead so far.....

Interesting .... isn't that the same as gambling ... only stake what you can afford to loose!

I have never bought from HK so can't speak from personal experience, but the evidence of posts I read on this (and other) forums suggests that buying form HK (or simialr) is just like gambling, there are winners and loosers .... but overall the house always wins.

To date I have never found the need to use HK and on balance I think it highly unlikely I ever would; maybe mail order from a UK model shop, but to date I've never done that either. In fact I'm not big on mail order of any sort ... I only made my first ever Amazon purchase last week!

Having problem with order held by Hobbyking has been waiting despatch for a week help desk not sorted still waiting not even reply from them lately. Anyone any idea how to get it released or who to contact loosing faith as they usualy respond well.

I've noticed that I'm in the fortunate position of being a platinum member:

"We take our customers membership very seriously, and as a platinum member you will be given the best service possible with prioritisation in support issues and warranty claims."

Perhaps this is why I'm only having to wait an average of 2 weeks before each of my replies to customer service are being answered...my issue submitted on May 17 is progressing steadily!

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/07/2013 13:29:57

And another thing. I never know which part of the world I'm in with HK. I ordered a brushless motor for my Bixler2 checking carefully that I was on the UK site this was added to my cart. Just before going to checkout I ordered some of their self adhesive hook and loop. Then went through the payment process. Only then did I become aware that my order had been transferred and was being processed in Hong Kong which will no doubt result in a three to four week delay.

Come on Hobby King get this sorted. Let's have the currency for the UK site in GB pounds and if you need to switch to Hong Kong to complete the order ask for the customers permission first.
John

The longer you get delayed by Hobbyking the more you seem to find out it seems that an order I placed when placed showed all items in stock so that was initial delay? But not told this now I find that this item is in stock but other has gone out of stock or that seems what they are saying. I thought that once your payment was cleared the items in stock were secure it seems not. So my wait for order continues have spoken to live chat and they are very "customer polite" but seem unable to have any impact on the order procedure as I have said cancel out of stock item and send rest. What's worse they have taken money already still we live and Learn.......will be very happy flyer when arrives needless to say.

Edited By William Hofmann on 10/07/2013 20:04:44

Light at the end of the tunnel !

I received a revised offer of a replacement fan and compatible battery today. This will be a little heavier that the original pack but I had to add some lead to achieve the correct C of G so I can remove some or all of it.

It's a shame that this response wasn't achieved without so much effort but assuming the replacements arrive without undue delay, I'll be happy enough with the eventual outcome.

It would be nice to think that Scott could feed back my dissatisfaction with the speed of response to support requests - with responses within a day or two instead of averaging 2 weeks - especially once a dialogue had been established, this matter could have been resolved within a couple of weeks and my confidence in the company wouldn't have been so tested.

Mixed news today...

The speed of response for the last 2 communications seems to have reduced to a week...an improvement but still not quite what I would have hoped for. I accepted the offer of the 4s fan unit and suitable battery a week ago but instead of an advice of dispatch, today's response was the offer of an alternative 6s unit which appears to be quite suitable.

So I've accepted the revised offer...

I wonder whether it will actually get sent or if there will be more delays? Fingers crossed that I might be able to fly the excellent Hunter again before the autumn weather makes the runways too soggy for taking off.

• 2 weeks later...

I really thought I was getting somewhere...

After accepting the offer I received another email on the 23rd asking me for my order ID - why they didn't know it is totally beyond my comprehension - it was all over the correspondence chain but I sent it by return...

On the 25th I had a further email with the wonderful news that the order had been submitted to the warehouse for packing and dispatch...

Where it's sat since - despite contacting them last night and being assured that the warehouse would be asked to pricess it without delay. A further contact tonight came back with the same response and an assurance that she would email me an update. When I queried how long this would take I was assured that it would only take 24 to 48 hours.

Who said customer service was dead...?

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/07/2013 23:30:50

I have just exited HobbyKing's 24 hour live chat after trying to get some sort of reaction to my attempts to get them to refund me for or change the incorrect recommended brushless motor that was supplied with my Bixler 1.1.

The first time I held on for 21 minutes. No reply. So I passed them my email address, again. This time, tonight, the same operator 'Daisy' again asked me to wait 16 minutes, no answer to my polite questions again.

I get the impression that 'Daisy' rose is not a person and in fact is an automated reply system.

This is after emailing them in their main centre, sending a picture of the way the motor doesn't fit and leaving comments on their product description. Very poor customer service.