flying into clouds

Thomas Brough

Advert

The best advice is not to get into cloud in the first place.!!!!!
Recently l got into a very strong thermal and was having difficulty flying out.l was in danger of losing sight of the model.
I tried down elevator to fly out but it was still going up.
I eventually did a series of loops... 15 or so and managed to loose the height and come out ot the bottom of the thermal.

I was once thrust a Tx by an in-experienced modeller who had lost his power model in low cloud/fog/mist whatever. I throttled back fed in some up and left rudder. I then suggested everybody scour the sky for the spinning model as it emerged from the cloud base, it was way off where the owner thought it was. The spin recovery was thankfully swift, and I managed to get it down in one piece.

Geoff

In a spin the aeroplane is stalled and with most (not all) a/c its speed will remain relatively low and constant. In a spiral dive the a/c is not stalled and it will accelerate as the spiral progresses until in an extreme case it can be going too fast for a recovery to be made without damage.
Mike

thanks Geoff I think your advice don't go in to cloud in the first place is perhaps the best advice, Thanka for all other advice the problem is rembering to do the right thing at the time,This case down elevator did not work,the model was Mike White's miss behaving(miss demenor looks like agood replacement.)originaly 400 2.3/1gbox 500ARnicad, when lost 3stack go brushless 1.2 3c lipo.(pic dec 2006 Q&EFI) the brushless set up made a huge difference to the performance. Tom B.

Hello!
Agree totally with Dead-stick and Mike Rolls. I broke the wing of my best electric glider in a spiral dive i April last year.
Wasn't in cloud but the thermal was heavy, and a strong wind took the plane far away so I decided to get out of it, made a large left hand diving turn to get back to the landing spot.
I was a bit surprised as I had flewn the model in stronger winds before this happened.
If things are going out of your control, try to spin the plane.

hi guy's
i was watching the practise of flying into clouds last year at the TOCA event at WOODVALE to be quite honest i know these guys are really good pilots but i could not beleive how dangerous this practise is especially seeing as there was a large crowd of spectators to the event. several of the LMA guys remarked how they were surprised as did i ,that they were continuing with the competition given the conditions they were flying in. or at least the high parts of the competition. at times the models were out of sight for 5-6seconds and given the size and weight of these models i would find it a totally unacceptable risk. i'm surprised the competition director allowed it to continue. as a saftey officer to my local club i would not have allowed it to continue competition or no competition
regards
nasa

• 2 years later...
Posted by Phil Taylor on 13/03/2007 20:46:00:
Thomas,

"Just hold in full up and full rudder (right or left) until the model is back down to a manageable height."

Never put it into a Spin or Dive.  Phils quite correct.  If your pride & joy becomes too small to see clearly or you put it into a cloud full up & left will bring it back safetly.  A Spin you might not get out of and a Dive will break the wings (either whilst diving or in the 'pullout'.

BB

PS. Tech guys - Why's this post & quote so screwed up.  Happens fortunatley infrequently - but anoying.  I can't get rid of the quote bar on the left to seperate my post from the post Im quoting !

Edited By Basildon Biggles on 26/12/2009 13:43:41

BB - if you apply full up and left rudder as per Phil's advice what do you expect it to do?

I would expect a spin and there's very little reason to expect almost any model not to be recoverable.  In my view it is the very best thing to do.  There is the least chance of overloading the airframe, the model will travel the least distance from where you last saw it (best chance of seeing it) and if the worst happens and you've held the controls until the model has ceased flying somewhere, the impact energy and flightpath is least damaging to whatever was in its way.