BMFA Proficiency Scheme A & B Certs, which model did you use?

Posted by moorer on 16/07/2013 22:27:22:

Took mine back around 1997 with a 54 inch span Dolphin with an OS 25FP.The Dolphin was a good value kit that came in a bag of parts and a set of foam wings, great flyer too,cant remember who made it though.

Edited By moorer on 16/07/2013 22:29:58

Was it a Jim Davis model? that seems to ring a bell with me.

Advert

Took my SAA Bronze (BMFA A) with a Seagull Boomerang and my Bronze + with a Dave Smith Saphir Sport 40.

A few years back we had a visiting exchange pilot from the USAF join the club and he was asked to take the bronze test so he could fly solo. So he did. With a Dubb Jett 40 powered yellow pylon racer. It must have been the fastest bronze test on record, over in seconds. And he passed.

Edited By John Muir on 17/07/2013 10:08:33

Ok, took my "A" test THIS MORNING! And passed! (Well Chuffed) With a WOT 4 ARTF and an SC46 engine, a great model, and even better with the weather conditions which although sunny and very warm, was actually quite windy this morning, the Wot just seems not to be bothered with a bit of a gust.

This really helps with keeping the altitude level on the test (very important!) and makes you look a little better to the examiner, its also able to turn on a pin head, again making the rectangle fly round a lot easier.

Plus its a simple model to get used to, later on for the "B" test you can just up the throws slightly and you have a good all round aerobatic model for the test, without having to learn an entirely new model, well thats my theory anyhow!

Just my two-penneth...

My personal opinion is that it's much more about the pilot and very little about the model.

For the A I don't really see anyone getting a different result whether they flew a trainer or something like the CAP232 that I used. Having said that, on the day I did mine it was blowing half a gale, and I wouldn't have wanted to fly a very light model in those conditions (remember there's a 1kg. minimum.)

For the B the model clearly has to be capable of flying the manoeuvres, but again, it's the pilot not the model that's being "judged". So fly whatever you're comfortable with.

[Disclaimer: I am not an examiner, but have F/W A & B and Heli A]

I would also like to add that a good club instructor is worth their weight in gold! Half the battle is knowing what to expect and what is expected of you, and this is where your good instructor comes in. I was lucky enough to have several great ones at our club, after that its get a good model you feel comfortable with and practice, practice and then practice some more!

You'll do so many circuits your head will be dizzy...

Posted by Braddock, VC on 19/07/2013 22:34:24:

OK, the answer to my next question is how long is a piece of string BUT which model would you reckon would give you the best chance of passing the a/b test and why?

For the 'A' a good trianer. For the 'B'any reasonably capable aircraft, as long as it is set up right. If it is lateraly balanced, and the C of G is set right and the thrustline is good it is going to make the required manuvers a lot easier. I'm not sure you really want/need something too aerobatic for the 'B'.

Took my 'A' with an own designed 36" span, rudder / elevator, 600 electric powered 'Buzz Bomb'.

Took my 'B' with an own designed 48" span Axi powered, Nigel Hawes, solid sheet wing design, inspired aerobatic job.

Both sadly lost in flight and plans lost in house move.crying 2

Edited By Devon Flyer on 20/07/2013 22:58:13